Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Reading new water

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reading new water

OK, here's the deal, I've got two small, shallow local lakes where I catch crappie all the time. About 90% of my fishing is on these two lake, simply because they are close enough to home for me to be on the water 20 minutes after I decide to go fishing. Now, I've pretty well got the crappie patterned on these lakes, and can put some in the bucket every time I go out.

Now and then we go camping and I get to fish some different waters. Here is where I run into trouble. I have absolutely no clue where to look for crappie on these larger, deeper, natural lakes. This is my situation next weekend. Camping on a lake that I've never fished before.

So, my question is this: When you go to a new lake, how do you figure out where to start looking for crappie? What is the best approach for narrowing down your search for good crappie spots? What should I be looking for? shallow flats, steep drop-offs, humps, deep water, shallow water, weed beds, docks, etc.?

I only have a couple days (holiday weekend) to fish this, so I want to give myself the best chance I can to have us a little fish-fry.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=joejv4;798662]What should I be looking for? shallow flats, steep drop-offs, humps, deep water, shallow water, weed beds, docks, etc.?
    QUOTE]

You answered your own question

Also when crappie are feeding on shad.........watch for "V" ripples
    in the water.......crappie dont break the water per say they make a "V" ripple
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Check with the local bait and tackle store there are some of the regulars that visit and would be glad to help especially if you explain that you will only be there for 2 to 3 days.
    "If in this life you have a good wife, at least one good dog, 1 good horse, 1 great fishing boat and a decent truck to pull it with and enough sense to know which is the most important then you have truly been blessed."

Post Thanks / Like

This is what makes fishing so fun for me is trying to find them, i would start by the water temperature , are they in pre, during or post spawn for this time of year

Post Thanks / Like

I would fish your strengths. If you usually fish lay downs I would start there if you fish deep stumps/timber look for that. Find something like you would fish on familiar water and make it work. Don't try to fish the entire lake target 1 area and find the fish they are there somewhere.
    www.Crappiepredator.com
    www.Rendlakefishingguides.com
    618-472-4763