Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody heard any reports from Venice LA

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Anybody heard any reports from Venice LA

By this time next week I will be in Venice about to go offshore for some tuna action. I think hopefully (knock on wood) that they will cooperate with us.

I really don't care for eating tuna but I would like to know what would be good eating if we catch it while we are out there. I know I like red snapper (out of season) and redfish for sure. Mmmm.....

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

Grouper, Amberjack, Cobia, Trigger Fish, Dolphin (mahi mahi), sheephead, speckled trout, flounder are all delicious!!...we even caught a couple of cusk eels (bearded brotula)...looks like an eel/catfish mix, but it's referred to as the poor man's grouper. White flaky meat that was actually very good. I think they say mako shark is good, but I've never caught one so can't vouch for that.

Also, if you go out of Venice Marina, you'll pass a seafood place in an elbow turn in the road. Wish I knew the name of it, but I have no idea. I've gotten some really good shrimp there before for a great deal. These were $3/lb when I got them.

Hope you have a great trip. Be sure to post some pics of your trip and catch when you get back!
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe PM Fishin Magician. He is staying down around New Orleans now and was talking about fishing out of Venice so maybe he will know something. As far as what is good to eat, Scott mentioned most of them but remember that you can't keep redfish once you are out of state waters which in LA is 3 miles out. Grouper is one of the best eating fish in the gulf, triple tail is just as good if not better and AmberJack is another one I can think of right off. Good luck and be sure to give us a report when you get back.:D
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shrimp! Is that the grocery store or are you talking about the docks along the road.

How long will shrimp and fresh fish last on ice for the trip back? I think we will be staying at least one or two more nights before we get back home in E. Texas.

Post Thanks / Like

No, not a grocery store, had more of a warehouse look to it. On the way back from Cypress Cove Marina, you'll come to a stop sign where you have to turn left. Directly in front of the sign was the building. If I get to go again, I'll try to get the name, or maybe FM knows.

As far as how long they last...I'm not sure. I've always bought them right before I left, or the night before, and bagged them when I came home. Pop the heads and freeze them covered with water and they'll last a good while. Keep in mind that they weren't that big EVERY time I went, but I always felt like I got a good size for the price. They even threw in a flounder once that was in the ice chest of shrimp!

I look forward to hearing how your trip goes!
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Scott!

We go about every other year or so and it's always fun down there. I liked it best when we had a boat and just motored down to the jetties at SW pass and fished for the reds with shrimp and cut bait. We don't have a suitable boat to do that this year so offshore we go in pursuit of the big T. We always burn a trail down there and end up meandering our way back in a couple days which kind of sucks when trying to keep the catch fresh in the coolers. Maybe I will suggest we take it easy going down and burn the trail on the way back next year.

BTW we are going out on Super Strike charters I believe. Who is Markham (FM) working with anyway? I sure would like to meet him if he is down there a lot.
    Last edited by FroggerZack; 05-16-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Man I'm bummed, we had to cancel the trip due to high winds and seas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FroggerZ View Post
    Man I'm bummed, we had to cancel the trip due to high winds and seas.
    Sorry to hear that. I know you were looking forward to it. I'm heading down early next month for some inshore. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good weather. I hope you get to reschedule.

Post Thanks / Like

I took a huge cooler of shrimp from St. George Island in Florida to north central Arkansas a distance of about 700 miles once, and they got there in very good shape. I iced them down really well before I left and checked them a few times on the way back. If I thought they needed it, I drained the water from the ice that had melted and added ice, but I don't think I had to do it more than once.

I've only fished Venice one time, but we sure tore up the big redfish using crank baits right at the end of one of the passes.

Post Thanks / Like

My father in law called down earlier today and even inquired about redfish. he said even the bays look like chocolate milk right now! Plans changed to Possum Kingdom. Hope that turns into something good!:rolleyes:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast