Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 28" long Carp

Post Thanks / Like

Default 28" long Carp

Went out today around 10 a.m. after I found out the work I was supposed to do, is being put off till tommorrow.
    Anyway, I had just started trolling a rock bluff where I had seen the same boat anchored at least three other trips out. There was a cat near the water just meowing it's head off. I thought the old fat thing was just unable to get back up the bluff and go home. I reeled in my lines so they wouldn't snag and started moving towards the cat to give it a lift to a better climbing spot. As I got within 10 feet of the cat, I saw a huge fish just under the surface 4' off the bank. The fish was a Carp, (not green carp) and had just sucked my 1/8th ounce Chartruese head, white grub with glitter into it's mouth. This thing hit the only 10' rod I own, and the fight was on! I have Stren, 8lb test line on that rod spun around a Rick Clunn baitcasting reel. I fought that goose for at least 20 minutes before getting him close enough to net. I wanted my jig back! It was the most fun catching a crap fish, (oops, carp) I have ever had. Matter of fact, it's the biggest fish I have ever caught on rod-n-reel. It had to have weighed somewhere between 15 and 20lbs. I have got to remember to load the digital in the truck from now on.
    As for the cat, I tossed it some dead shad I had netted when I first got there. That fat cat had to eat at least 15 shad, and was ready for more.
    Was really windy today, and trolling motor started acting weird, so I decided to call it quits for the day.
    But, that big azz carp made the trip worth it!
    LOL
    Reaper
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Crappie Reaper, I know what you mean! The oddest thing I ever hooked into was a 15 to 20 lb. black buffalo. I caught it on a BnM 11ft. Buck's Graphite Jig Pole and 6lb. yellow Stren line.

Took me about 15 minutes to get him in the boat!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I am just a little disturbed and biased, but any good fisherman should ALWAYS have a bow and reel in the boat right next to the rod and reel. In this situation all bases would have been covered!!!!
    I am taking the Bow and Reel out tomorra after some big ole carp! Or as said before, Crap........

HAHA,
    Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Heres a photo of a carp i caught about 10 years ago on a night stalk. I caught it on a minnow using the little ugly stick ultralite rod standing beside it. It came in fairly easy but once we tried to get it in the net, all hades broke loose. it took three or four tries before we could get it to stay in the net. it was so long, it kept rolling out of the net. the fish weighed 32 lbs, was caught using 6 lb line on a #4 gold eagle claw hook. It made channel 9 sports news. thats the biggest fish i ever caught on an ultralite rig. took about 15 minutes to get it in the boat from the hookset.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rango; 08-30-2005 at 03:46 AM.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

My fish came in very easy as well Rango, until I tried to net it, then it took off, the drag being pulled off my reel was burning my hand as I had "Choked up" on the 10' BnM to try to get the darn thing close enough to net. Wow, look at that little pole! I bet that fish was a blast.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Lost a carp about 26" long last year when it grabbed my Rebel Locust and took off. I got it up to the boat and as Doug tried to net it, it dove under the boat, wrapped around a tree and PING! took off with my favorite lure. I was using 8# line, too, but had too much standing timber to try to maneuver it through . It was fun while it lasted, though. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern