Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float and Jig fishing ??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Float and Jig fishing ??

I do most of my fishing from the bank as many know. I have recently done some jig fishing with a float for trout and did well. I was using about 8' of leader and a 1/16th ounce jig and reeling slowly. While doing this I got between 2 and 4 feet of depth on the jig depending on how fast I was reeling, sometimes it was extremely slow.

The question is; How do you fish with a float deep and still do some what of a retrieve and maintain a decent depth? I can throw 10 feet of leader easily but even on my slowest retrieve I don't get even close to 10' of depth. Do I need to do a reel and pause type retrieve? A cast, rest, reel, rest, reel, rest retrieve?

What is the trick to using a float and jig and keeping it down deep but keep it moving while only using the jig for weight below the float?
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

f4a, I'm assuming you're fishing moving water thats causing your jig to rise. If that is the case you could add a split shot a couple of feet above you jig to help you get down. If you don't want to go a heavier jig because of the size profile you might add lead wire around the hook shank to give you added weight without bulk. Of course that's if you tie your own. Now your reel, rest, reel retrieve should help and also impart a lifelike action to your jig that could trigger strikes. Good luck,
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For deeper waters I may use a 1/8 oz sinker tied about 18 inches above the fly.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

No moving water, just lakes. Maybe I am mistaken about the depth but I think I am pretty close. I know my line is coming in at about a 45 degree angle so I am losing a lot of depth. Might just need to slow down more but I am so used to fishing a fly. I think I am going slow enough but maybe not. Might be just a mistaken angle from the water refraction. I will see if I can get a more accurate measurement of the depth of the jig this weekend when I finally get out again.

I really don't want to add weight up the line but may not have a choice if my depth estimates are correct.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

I found a bunch of crapppies holding tight to a few rock piles in 8' of water and they were coming all the way up from the bottom to hit my tube jig. I only have the tube about 30" below my float so that would make it less when I'm reeling it in. They were really aggressive! But the water in this lake is crystal clear too. I'm sure that makes a big difference. So these fish were probably coming up 5-6' to hit the tube. I'm a newbie to crappie fishing but this is something that I have experienced. Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

fish

I used to fish the same problem, if you're using a slip float try one that is a little weighted. Betts Billy Boy and Comal Tackle carry them, the comals you can find depending on the wal-marts or ordering them.

The two types I'd get are the oval and pear shaped. The oval weighted from 1" to 2 1/2" you can order from Cabela's as I know they have them. You can use them as a clip on or slip bobber. The smaller you use the better you'll see the take and you can use them with 1/32 or 1/16, if a breeze is blowing the weight helps hold you in there a little longer, then use the slower retrieve and as the bobber pulls to you you stop and the jig is moving to line up below the float again.

One word of caution, be careful when casting them because they're weighted they will go out there a long way. I use at least a 6 1/2 ft rod and have debated on going to a 7'.

Hope this helps

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Slip bobber all the time with 1/16oz tube jigs. At ten ft deep retrieve slowly and stop. Raise your tip of your pole to eye level and twitch end of pole making bobber splash around on surface and stop. Two or three seconds do it again. That should intice a fish to strike. Your tube will remain at depth you set your bobber. Practice twitching and you should start getting strikes.
    Last edited by Ken Jones; 05-20-2009 at 11:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple nice stick floats and some others I have modified so I will have try all of this next time. I never thought of trying a slip float for a cast and retrieve but is worth a shot. I know it is not gonna the normal "retrieve" but should cover a lot of ground and still be effective.

I saw a guy using a 15' pole the other day and I want one so bad. Was the same weight as my 6' pole and was strong enough he could throw a nice sized float with ease. Is German or European though so I have no the brand or anything.

Will have to try a couple of the oval weighted ones and modify them like I do with my other floats. A little extra weight and should have them sitting shallow and detecting even the lightest bite. I use a casting float now with braided line and cast a mile so those should give me a pretty good cast too.

Throwing an 8-10' leader on a 5'6" to 6' pole is a chore but I think if I went and longer i would definitely need a longer pole.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck fish

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using a slip bobber? If not you probably should be. Try a bigger bobber and add enough large split shot to it so the bobber is 3/4 under water. With this additional weight, your angle will be straighter down on the retreives. I like to leave about 18" - 24" between the split shot and the jig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast