Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Question about Ultralights

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Question about Ultralights

I'm in the market for a new ultralight combo to throw jigs with. I want a 4.5-5 ft rod and UL reel. I have the following picked out, but can't decided which one to choose.

Cabela's -- Shakespeare Ugly Stik Lite Spinning Combo

Abu Garcia Abu Garcia® Stealth Combo Series

Bass Pro Shops Micro Lite Elite Rod and Reel Spinning Combos

Browning Fishing Micro Stalker Spinning Combo

I just want to get some opinions and hear what yall had to say about your favorite UL. Thanks in advance.
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Post Thanks / Like

I like a longer rod than that. I have an All Star 6' UL that I like really well. I usually step up a size on the reel too, to get the bigger spool for easier casting. Spool quality is important with light line when casting.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a UL Ugly Stik, but did not like it for casting jigs. The Browning is a little stiffer than most ULs on the market.

If you're dead set on one of those four, I'd probably go with the Browning or Bass Pro. If you're willing to double your budget, you'd be able to get a much better outfit.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 5.5 ft WM signature series from BPS that is my go to UL rod. The reel has been changed to a Mitchell Avocet b/c I don't like the trigger on the spinning reel that the original WM came with. There's also a UL Quantum makes that's 5 ft (both are 1 pc) that I've had for a few years too and it's lasted and caught tons of fish. You can't go wrong with most everything everyone's mentioned. The best thing would be to try out as many in the store as you can to see which fits your hand/style of fishing best.

the next generation of slabhunters

Post Thanks / Like

I like the BPS reels. Don't like the poles. Longer is gonna be very helpful. 5'6" is a good start with 6' a good length for ultra lights. If you can find a good 6'6" or 7' even better. It is hard to say that a pole is gonna be good by looking at a picture. You really need to see how it feels.

I start by looking at the lure weight. I really try to make I get something that can handle at least 1/8 ounce because of float weights and jig weights. Also, a rod that is not too limp is gonna give you good control of the cast and you will be happier with it, IMO.

I think it is much better to go down and feel the rods to see which is best. If it doesn't feel right it doesn't matter what you paid and if you can't throw a simple float because the rod is a wet noodle you will be very unhappy with it. As well as if the rod is too stiff you won't get a good cast with ultra light weights.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

For the first time I'm gonna disagree with Flat but only if he's talking the new BPS rods. The reels you can have em, I'll stick with my Shimano's.

I have a 6 ft BPS Pro Comp II rod UL for 4-6 lb line that is THE SWEETEST UL I've ever owned. If I'd had my head out of my butt I'd have ordered more of them. Good stiff butt with a medium tip that will not only toss bare jigs but is good with the bobber jig combo also. I also agree with the long spool's making casting easier.

I've been contemplating getting a nice 7 ft. UL with a nice Shimano reel only for the point of I do most fishing from Shore and the extra length really takes up slack line quickly.

I think the rods that replace them are the Graphite series, and I've been reading the reviews that they really need to bring the Pro Comp's back. But knowing me I'll order one just to try it.

Fatman
    Last edited by Fatman; 05-13-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Has any one tried the Gander Mountain series rods, Ive had one for years and i really like it. They use to have a life time warranty but they drooped it down to one year in order to save money I'm told

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For my 65th birthday I splurged big time and bought myself a Shimano Stella 2500FB and put it on a St Croix PS66ULF. This is by far the finest casting rig I have ever owned. I have it loaded with 4lb Sufix line and can cast a 1/16th oz jig a country mile. In my opinion its the rod that makes it so good. You certainly don't have to spend that much money for a reel but the size is important. Like already mentioned, the line comes off so much smoother with the bigger spool.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have several UL Ugly Sticks. The newer Ugly Stick Lite is great - but so are the others. I cast jigs all the time with mine - all 5 footers. Try Walmart - you might save $8 - $10 on the Ugly Stick Lites over the BPS price.
    Sam in PA and FL

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up U.L. rod

I use 3 six foot Fenwick's model sp721 I built years ago.
    They are coupled with Shimano Solstice 1000 rear drag reels.
    I use nothing but Trilene XL 2-4lb line. The rod is a slow action,
    which is hard to find today, but I love the way it handles and
    casts. I've caught some mighty big fish on this combo even though
    I fish primarily for Crappies, Smallies and Walleye.
    As many of the guys mentioned, I would go with a longer rod,
    at least 6 ft.
    Crappiekiller3

Sittin here wishin I was out fishin!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast