Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Collecting hook info

Post Thanks / Like

Default Collecting hook info

Okay, I have seen about everything I can handle on hook guides and comparisons and what not online so I thought a more scientific approach would help everyone.

If everyone would, please list the smallest and largest hook sizes you would use for the following fish. Don't forget to list the type of hook. As most of us know, most different styles of hooks do not have the same characteristics as the same size hook in a different category.

Crappie
    Rainbow Trout
    Blue Gill
    Shell Cracker
    Yellow Perch
    Sun Perch
    LMB
    SMB

And anyone who has a species to add please list it so I can do so. Maybe if we get this list comprehensive enough I can make a nice handy chart to give beginners to any species an idea of where to start. Maybe even give others something to thin about when one size hook just doesn't seem to work quite right.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Well since I only fish for basically two species, i'll tell ya what I use for them:

Crappie I try to use only #1 and #2 sickle hooks usually in 1/24 or 1/32 jigs. Although a bit larger than usual, this has helped me stop missing fish I was ordinarily not catching because of the smaller rounded hooks poured in the usual jig heads you find at BPS and others.
    Bass I usually fish 3/0 or 4/0, seems to be a great holder and allows me to use different size baits without having to carry a ton of differnet hooks.

I lived up north for numerous years and walleye and striper fishing was usually done with #1 or #2 size hooks in 1/8 or 1/4 jigs tipped with minnows or platic body jig with long tails.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie - #6 or 8 jig hooks

Gills/crackers - #14 or 16 fly hooks

Trout - #14 - 20 fly hooks

Carp/cats - #6, 8 or 10 English carp hooks

Bass - 2/0 Slider heads

Post Thanks / Like

crappie - 2/0 hooks

bream of any kind - 6 hooks

trout - 6 hooks

L/M bass - 2/0 hooks

S/M bass - 2 hooks

I have people who think a 2/0 is big for crappie, but I rarely miss a bite and have caught them down to 2". On the other hand it seems like I miss a bunch more bites with a smaller hook like when I am using jigs. The bottom line is a crappie actually has a pretty big mouth, maybe not as big as a L/M bass, but pretty big.