PDA

View Full Version : Crappie counter

ready2fish
05-12-2009, 05:20 PM
I always lose count on how many are in the live well, her in Michigan we have a 25 limit. What do you guys use for a counter .

i-catch-cartags
05-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Most of the time i use my wife.:eek: But she looses track sometimes, reckon i should get a newer model counter.:eek::D:D

SCOTTY1094
05-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Paper And Pen

thankfull
05-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Get a clicker at staples.

STUMP HUNTER
05-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Monks have them

Monk's Crappie :: MonksCrappie.com :: Tackle & Lures (http://www.monkscrappie.com/store/store_sub.cfm?Category_ID=3)

ready2fish
05-12-2009, 05:36 PM
well i did a search here after i posted my question... sorry

and found this Mr. CrappieŽ Fish Counter

i seen this a Gander mountain the other day and was wondering what the bent looking Dee handle ring is for, i know its for hanging it but were and why is it bent

bc1448
05-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Most of the time i use my wife.:eek: But she looses track sometimes, reckon i should get a newer model counter.:eek::D:D

Better hope your wife doesn't read that!!!:D:D:D
Blake

Richard C.
05-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Never needed one.

rdant
05-12-2009, 06:08 PM
My livewell has a divider in it. I put the fish in 1 side, and when I get close to a limit, I stop and count them to the other side. Most of the time the counter is wrong. Easier than paying a ticket.

INGrandad
05-12-2009, 06:41 PM
I have 2 of these -
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/1069468/3586206/364145232.jpg

I count one them twice and the opposite one 3 times and I'm there.

Flat Foot
05-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Man I have never caught a limit

turkeyfootnc
05-12-2009, 07:26 PM
I use one for counting minnows to see if I got shorted or extras

crappieken
05-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I use a counter that golfers use. It has two counters on it - one for strokes and one for putts. It comes in handy for me as my home lake has a two fold limit on it. You can keep ten crappies over 10 inches and five under 10 inches. I picked this up at Walmart a couple of years ago for under two bucks. I put ten and over under strokes and under ten under putts.

Arkie John
05-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Now you know why I fish barefoot during the spawn. :D

aj

robbor
05-13-2009, 01:13 AM
I have some really industrial foot switch counter i got off of ebay and I also have a golf counter. The golf counter said strokes and putts. I erased the stroked side and i use "putz" for the guy in the back of the boat:D.

fishin'aholic2
05-13-2009, 04:58 PM
The Mr. Crappie one is great! Easy to use!

lungbuster
05-13-2009, 07:49 PM
I have one of these mounted on the floor.

TwainGang
05-13-2009, 07:57 PM
I bought a Mr. Crappie clicker but the gears have been stripped and it doesn't work anymore-but I liked it and will need to pick another one up from Staples. I use 15 beads on a string and slide them down the string every one I get. These are pretty popular in MO.

mepperson
05-13-2009, 09:45 PM
I don't need one, I never catch that many anyway :rolleyes:.

Big Crappie
05-14-2009, 09:50 AM
We've always use a counter like the one Wally's got out. I was told they were cow counters used at cattle auctions. Here is some idea's!

Walmart.com: Coach Dave's Pitch Counter: Team Sports (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9134457)

The best Tally Counters at the Best Prices. See our line of tally counters,inventory counters,traffic analyzers,counters,Chrome Clicker, Electronic Counters, Hand Tally Counters, Digital Counters. (http://tallycounterstore.com/)

smashdn
05-15-2009, 08:29 AM
well i did a search here after i posted my question... sorry

and found this Mr. CrappieŽ Fish Counter

i seen this a Gander mountain the other day and was wondering what the bent looking Dee handle ring is for, i know its for hanging it but were and why is it bent

It is for putting your finger through. You hold it in the palm of your hand with your finger through the D ring. Go to a good sporting goods store and ask for a pitch counter, like for baseball. I worked at an old time sporting goods store that had everything, not like a Hibbets or a Dick's, while I was in High School and College. Stacked wall to wall and floor to ceiling with anything you could ever need for ball sports.

There are lots of distirbutors that have them. Some are better than others. Some are real metal with real metal gears. Some are shiny plastic with plastic gears inside. The metal ones will last you forever.

heres a bunch. I don't know how much the wally marshall one is, but just judging from the quality of most of his other products I am gonna go out on a limb and say it is a plastic one.

Pitch Counter Baseball - Sports & Outdoors - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review (http://www.nextag.com/pitch-counter-baseball/compare-html)

joejv4
05-15-2009, 10:43 AM
That Wally Marshal one looks just like the "picth counter" I converted from my baseball coaching to my crappie fishing. I think I'd like the one on a base better, just because all you have to do with that one is hit it like a snooze button every time a fish goes in the bucket/cooler/livewell.

kycreek
05-16-2009, 04:43 PM
I would rarely need one of those.

jaxsprat
05-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Never used or needed a counter they just for wimps, besides I never catch more than I can count on right hand & if I did left hand has as many thumbs as fingers so that one don't work too good, just throw that one extra one back. :confused:

shipahoy41
05-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Small abacus.

skeetbum
05-16-2009, 09:36 PM
I fished with a guide last year and the click counter is what he used. Only difference was he had his attached to the support post of his rod holders and bumped it with his foot. Only had to reach over to reset it at the start of the day.

boat49
05-17-2009, 01:33 AM
I use a counter that golfers use. It has two counters on it - one for strokes and one for putts. It comes in handy for me as my home lake has a two fold limit on it. You can keep ten crappies over 10 inches and five under 10 inches. I picked this up at Walmart a couple of years ago for under two bucks. I put ten and over under strokes and under ten under putts.

Thats what I use. Paid 1.49 for it. Not out much if it gets lost. Also, I usually am either in sandles or my shoes come off once I get in the boat so I can go to twenty without any problem!! :D

ready2fish
05-17-2009, 09:05 AM
It is for putting your finger through. You hold it in the palm of your hand with your finger through the D ring. Go to a good sporting goods store and ask for a pitch counter, like for baseball. I worked at an old time sporting goods store that had everything, not like a Hibbets or a Dick's, while I was in High School and College. Stacked wall to wall and floor to ceiling with anything you could ever need for ball sports.

There are lots of distirbutors that have them. Some are better than others. Some are real metal with real metal gears. Some are shiny plastic with plastic gears inside. The metal ones will last you forever.

heres a bunch. I don't know how much the wally marshall one is, but just judging from the quality of most of his other products I am gonna go out on a limb and say it is a plastic one.

Pitch Counter Baseball - Sports & Outdoors - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review (http://www.nextag.com/pitch-counter-baseball/compare-html)

once again i asked before i had one, i bouoght one and now see what iets for, thanks

i like the one thats mounted on a base , no way to loose it and always right were it always is :)

mofisher
05-24-2015, 06:33 PM
I've been using an android app appropriately named "Crappie Counter" that has been useful.

DockShootinJack
05-24-2015, 07:22 PM
The app should be great. The phone is always in the boat in case I need it. And I use a topo map app to scout out likely places to dock shoot.

crp4570
05-24-2015, 07:43 PM
I just text fish icon to the wife at work every time I catch a fish. However, sometimes when I ask her to count up the icons she just ignores me. :dono

LowePro
05-26-2015, 09:22 AM
There is a baseball "pitch" counter at acadamy sports and outdoors or any sports stores really. Just click it everytime u catch a fish. Works great lesss than $10 and counts all the way up to 999. hahaha

NIMROD
05-26-2015, 12:01 PM
We make some homemade bead counters or Southern Pro Tackle online sells a clicker that is on a small base you can click with your foot.
Click this link and see several counters

Southern Pro Tackle :: PRODUCTS FOR FISHING (http://www.southernpro.com/store/store_sub.cfm?Category_ID=7)

wicklundrh
05-26-2015, 02:22 PM
Small abacus.

I nearly fell out of my chair :Rofl

I use two live wells. One for fish I plan to count, and one for fish I don't plan to count.

Just kidding. I use one that Yankee Doodler and Cakelady made. I have one for the front live well and one for the back. Works great. Plus, when the fish aren't biting I can stare at the pretty colors!!

JBhunter45
05-29-2015, 08:53 AM
Rapala brands one, same as the mister crappie, bought a couple for around $4 each

feelay
05-30-2015, 09:09 PM
Beads on a string work well, as long as you remember to pull one down after each fish.

wannabe fisherman
05-31-2015, 05:59 AM
Arkansasbowhunter's daughter "lil'bit" makes one of the best lanyards for counting fish and also can be made with places to hang your remotes on it. He's on the board, contact him and he can send pics and info.

pop
05-31-2015, 05:13 PM
Bought a Rapala counter for 4.99 at Dicks this weekend. Color was silver. They had a pitch counter that looked identical, color was black and price was 9.99. Couldn't see any difference other than color. Pop