Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Own The Water ????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do You Own The Water ????

How many lakes in the US that if you own land you also own the water in front of your property.. It's True.....Please comment if you know there are some....

Post Thanks / Like

My house is 5.3 miles from Grenada lake, but yes, I own it. Be nice and I'll continue to let ya'll fish it.

Doubt there are many to answer your question. Even the private lakes around here with houses on them their property stops where the waterline starts. Gets tricky when you've got fluctuating water levels like on the river.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

not talking about private lakes I'm talking about lake where the land goes out into the lake . regardless of how much water there is in the lake . I only know of one and I just found out today that's why I asked the question????

Post Thanks / Like

We own property that has a creek that runs thru it the deed says that the line is the middle of the creek. that being said i don,t think that you would own the the lake we also have lake front property on weiss but it only goes to the lake you can build boat houses or piers but to build permant housing you have to be off the easment.

Post Thanks / Like

There's one landowner here on Eufaula that owns land to the water outright, because the Corps missed annexing this property, he can cut trees or anything else he wants. The remainder belongs to the Corps 150' from the exsisting waterline, and that encompases the entire lake.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

The corps. don't miss many. do they?
    Allatoona Bandit

Post Thanks / Like

I've read a bit about such laws, but it's been a few years. It comes up because of folk's docks and piers into the water and attached to the lakebed. It's been challenged a number of times by citizens in that they deem it intrudes on their rights to boat and enjoy the water. I believe in most cases the court has sided with the landowner... with exceptions. There was a golf course or club or some commercial entity that built a pier that went out into a lake like 300' or some crazy distance. The court sided with the public in that it was an intrusion and hazard to their right to the public waters.

That's m'story...

Post Thanks / Like

if it's navigable water you don't own it

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. I can walk in the water of any lake and river and not technically get in trouble for trespassing. Here though it is to the high water mark of any water body. If the winter level is 3 feet higher then you own to that point, nothing more. So if the water is low and you can see a distinct high water line then you are okay to go along the water and fish. Not a flood line though, just a normal high water mark for winter.

I wouldn't want to own a lake up here. I knew a couple that made their own and it was a nightmare meeting EPA, FDA and other agency rules and restrictions that they have to follow.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Here they have whats known as the right of water way... we have a lake close by that's a private lake, but in high water times like now, it's accessible from another lake. As long as i'm able to reach their lake by boat and not actually walking on their land to access it i'm legal to fish it. They get mad too, great crappie fishing in there.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast