Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jigging Techniques

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigging Techniques

Hey guys!

As you all know I'm new to the sport of Crappie fishing and am looking for some quick fixes. I need some jigging techniques! I have some newly purchased jigs, with my newly purchased rod and reel and would like to hit some Crappie. I've netted 3 so far, one on a worm, two on a rapala swimming lure w/ two treble (spelling?) hooks.

I couldn't get anything to hit on the jigs I had..

Do you fish them cast and reel? Or let them sit?

Ah! So many questions!
    "Drive it like you stole it"

Post Thanks / Like

The way most jigs are fished, especially fishing from the bank, are by suspending the jig under a bobber at the depth you want to fish it at. that way you can move it really slowly and keep it in the strike zone. CHAUNC and others here, SHIPAHOY41 included, are masters at this and I have learned a TON of info from these guys. It is pretty simple to do, set the bobber on the line at 2-3 feet above the jig and cast it out. move it slowly back toward the cover you are fishing and wait for the float to twitch or disappear completely. Not sure if this helps, but that is what I do and it works pretty good. Good luck and good catching to you.
    Dave Courington
    Nitro 640LX

Post Thanks / Like

Anything helps.

Colors used?
    Just a jig...piece of worm on it?
    Artificial anything?

Or just the weighted head and skirt?
    "Drive it like you stole it"

Post Thanks / Like

that's how i do it, and a lot of guys will use a second jig 12-18" above the first one. this gives you more depth coverage cause crappies are known to be in different depths from day to day, and hour to hour, this helps you find them quicker. when only your bottom one is getting bites you know to lower your setup deeper, and vice versa. my preffered bobber is the thill tg waggler. it's long and skinny, and when you're reeling it at the right speed it is very sensitive; reel too fast and under it goes, forcing you to keep the right speed.

i also like beetle spins with curly tails or tubes. i bounce them on the bottom, or slowly retrieve, or if the situation is right you can reel it fast enough to make a bulge on top of the water without breaking the surface, that is fun, you can see your spinner shining and then BAM the crappie hits it. good luck, and have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Jerry View Post
    Anything helps.

Colors used?
    Artificial anything?

My first choice for crappie is always a 1/32 oz solid chartreuse marabou & chenille jig. Second choice would be solid white. I occasionally will go up to a 1/16 oz. I have tipped my jigs with Crappie Nibbles in the past, but generally don't. You can catch plenty of fish on plain jigs. If the fish are really shallow, a float (bobber) can help. I generally do not use a float with jigs, though.

Cast it out, and count it down: one thousand one, one thousand two, etc. Experiment with different depths. A steady, slow retrieve works best. Don't "jig" the bait. Just bring it back slowly. I've been killing the bluegill, crappie and bass lately doing this.
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 05-11-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All these are good tips for you to start, my advice this time of year is to watch how the baitfish are moving in your body of water, try to mimic their movements and the crappie should reward you. A jig / float is not a bad way to go either. Dont be afraid to mix up wieghts and colors till you find the right ones. Good crappie to ya!
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Jerry ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Jerry View Post
    Anything helps.
    Colors used?
    Artificial anything?
    You might want to try cast/retrieve, especially if you can get the jig out far enough (now, while the Crappie are prone to being close to the bank).

I don't usually add anything to the jig, just a jighead and plastic body. Color is up to the individual, but most any color with a hint of Chartreuse is always a good bet. Tubes are pretty easy to use, come in most any color or color combination, and come in hollow or solid body form. I prefer the solid body, because it stays on the jighead better. I also prefer weedless jigheads, but that's mostly because I'm normally throwing my jigs around timber

I cast out, then hold the rod tip up at the 10-11 o:clock position, and reel in only as fast as I need to keep the jig coming towards me. My line is not straight from the rod tip to the water ... it's sloping down, like a playground slide. I watch the line, and when I see the line make the slightest jump, I set the hook ... fast, more than hard. I also set the hook, when the line tightens and moves to one side or the other ... and anytime the line goes slack (and I'm sure my jig is not on the bottom). I "see" more hits than I ever feel, even with the most sensitive of UL's ... I'm using hi-vis lines, for that very purpose.

One trick I've learned, that helps keep from snagging the jig, when you pull it across a branch ... is NOT to jerk the jig, when you feel the jig coming in contact with the branch. Instead, I see that where the line enters the water, it's not coming towards me any longer ... that signals to me that I'm pulling the jig over something. I slow my retrieve, even more, until I feel the jig come in contact ... then I drop the rod tip towards the jig, about 6 inches, and lift the rod tip back towards me about 12 inches, all in one smooth motion. This usually allows the jig to hang down past the branch (on the 6 inch forward motion), then bump up and over the branch (on the 12 inch backward motion). Once it bumps over the branch, I continue my previous retrieve speed ... and EXPECT to get a hit :p (it's happened too many times to be a fluke ) This will work with regular jigs, but is more effective with weedless ones. But, they too will get snagged on occasion .. just not as often.

Two other baits that are effective for cast & retrieve, are the Roadrunner & the Beetle Spin. Both are straight cast & retrieve lures, with retrieve speeds slightly faster than the swimming of the jig method I've previously described. In-line spinners, like a Rooster Tail, are also good cast/retrieve baits. My favorite of these, is the marabou Roadrunner ... and I trim the tail feathers down to half the length they come in the package. (that's halfway between the tip end of the feathers and the bend of the hook)

All any of them are doing, is imitating a "minnow" swimming thru the water. Crappie are stealth/ambush predators ... preferring to slip up under the minnow and engulf it, then turn it around (while it's in their mouth) so that it goes down their throat, head first. When fishing a jig in the cast/retrieve "swimming" method ... a jump in the line is caused by the fish sucking the jig in, and remaining stationary -- a sideways movement of the line is caused by the fish grabbing the jig, on the move, and turning back towards where they were -- a sudden slack line is caused by the fish grabbing the jig from behind/underneath, and continuing to come towards you.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Good Job Guys!!! Lot's of good info here and very good refresher tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappy thank you for the great information on jig fishing. I try using jigs but never seem to catch anything on them. But next time I'm out I will be using your great tips!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Might I add that when fishing stained water the darker colors seems to produce the best...anything dark with green/chart. Brighter colors in clear water seems to do the better job...red/white, yellow/white, etc.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast