Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guntersville Crappie with yellow meat??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guntersville Crappie with yellow meat??

I noticed that a few of the crappie that I cleaned over the weekend had a yellowish look to the meat. Most of them were white as usual, but a few of them looked yellow. The fish were alive when I cleaned them so it wasnt a case of the meat spoiling.

Post Thanks / Like

I,ve noticed some of the 10 inch fish had somewhat of a yellow tint also but the ones say 12 to 16 inches were all white. They seem to taste just fine when battered & cooked to a crispy golden brown.:D

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen that way down here in Louisiana also with black crappie. On those fish, even the skin is more yellow than ordinary. Purty to look at and taste fine.

"gene"

"G" Gone but not forgotten!!

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I caught some out of Neely Henry in the last 3 weeks that were like that also, don't know what is causing it.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed that also. I'll see how they taste tonight!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed some from guntersville last year and some from the other night that was yellow. Now I do not know how true this is or if it even is but a guy told me what causes that was when a fish gets ready to lay and all of the conditions are right and the female is just fixing to lay then all of the sudden some kind of drastic change such as water level or temp causes the fish not to lay and it just absorbs the eggs back into the body. I really did not even pay any attention to tell if the fish was male or female that had the yellow meat. Guess I will next time.
    bamaboyshunting.com

Post Thanks / Like

I know is hard to do, but you have to stop fishing the area lakes for Crappie ( I heard the same problem with shellcrakers ) until further notice and until we resolve the yellow meat issue. Is probably ok if you go Carp or Cat fishing tought!!
    Be patient and I will post a solution here pretty soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Let the pigs ride in the wagon , i never heard such a thang, (lol) give your address & we,ll send ya some carp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassturd View Post
    I noticed some from guntersville last year and some from the other night that was yellow. Now I do not know how true this is or if it even is but a guy told me what causes that was when a fish gets ready to lay and all of the conditions are right and the female is just fixing to lay then all of the sudden some kind of drastic change such as water level or temp causes the fish not to lay and it just absorbs the eggs back into the body. I really did not even pay any attention to tell if the fish was male or female that had the yellow meat. Guess I will next time.
    That makes some since as the fish with yellow tinted meat did not have eggs.

Post Thanks / Like

I've also caught some fish from Lk Harding with the yellow meat. I believe the absorption of eggs is the cause. That said, they still taste just fine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast