Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Night fishing on Lake George NW IL

wldrn Guest

Post Night fishing on Lake George NW IL

Hello to everyone this is my first post. I have been reading all the topics on this site and I think it is great. This is the second time that I have fished for crappie at night. Never would of considered it before reading about it on this site. Caught 18 keepers between 10 to midnight. I was tight lining a minnow off a dock and a bobber 10 to 20 feet off the dock. Both of them were around 6-7 feet deep.

Post Thanks / Like

wldrn - Welcome to the site - What time of lights are you using? I just bought a Brinkmann Q-beam Starfire II and haven't tried it yet. I always used a coleman lantern and a floating light in the past. It has been quite a few years since I have been nightfishing, but like you, reading all the posts has generated a renewed interest.
    Ken

wldrn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crappieken
    wldrn - Welcome to the site - What time of lights are you using? I just bought a Brinkmann Q-beam Starfire II and haven't tried it yet. I always used a coleman lantern and a floating light in the past. It has been quite a few years since I have been nightfishing, but like you, reading all the posts has generated a renewed interest.
    Like you I use a Lantern. I did try those light sticks that attach to the rod tip and to the float. It made it a lot easier to watch my poles. I really like them, I didn't have to the lantern full blast.

Walter

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I do a good deal of night fishing but I am mainly fishing for big cats. But, like the others, after reading success others have had fishing at night for crappie, I am ready to give it a try soon.
    Alot of cat men use flurocarbon line and a blacklight to be able to see a bite at night. From what I understand, a blacklight will make flurocarbon line glow like a 2" rope at night. The slightest hit could be easily detected. If I were to night fish for crappie much, I would invest in a $20 blacklight and a spool of flurocarbon line. Then, a guy a could put a little refector tape on his rod tip and maybe some on a float if he used one and should be able to see clearly everything that happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Fishing Pics

Here's some pics from my recent Night Stalking for crappie

http://www.illinoiswaters.net/heartl...ntry.php?e=237

Post Thanks / Like

Redtick, you need to use CLEAR BLUE FLOURESCENT line if you want a black light to light it up. You will be amazed out how it stands out. If you are using a bobber, and it is 25' out, your line will look to be 1/4" thick!
    I will try to take some pics of my next Black Light Venture.
    Reaper
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry