Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: GPS Help

Post Thanks / Like

Question GPS Help

I don't want to belabor this topic as I know there have been several posts on this already, but I am trying to get the biggest bang for my bucks, and I need your experience.

I have narrowed my choices down to two units 1. Magellan Meridian Gold $199. and 2. Garmin GPSMap 76 $180. The Magellan has 16 Meg of RAM, and touts that their base map is more detailed than others, but also only has 500 waypoints. The Garmin has 8 Meg of RAM but has 1,000 waypoints.

My delimina (ms) seems to be, do I need more than 500 waypoints and an additional 8 MEG of RAM and is the base map more detailed than others. Also, I am concerned about how long the unit takes to acquire a satilite and how often it updates, or how quickly.

I primarily think I would use the unit to relocate brush piles, but as technology advances there may be other feachures that I would like as I learn to use the unit.

Any help would certainly be appreciated. Please ignore my spelling.

Trihull

Post Thanks / Like

I would think a lot of it would depend on if you fish an extreme amount
    of differnt lake, say as in a national tournament trail - my old dinosaur
    will stow 500 icons and another 250 waypoints - I've never come close to
    using all that up. I don't know much about the "megs", none of mine have
    background maps, or the ability to load them, but if I were you, and could,
    I'd be interested to know say, how many megs memory does each lake
    you want to download info on take up? To sort of quantify how much it
    really takes to hold what you need. Also curious, can you "dump" a map
    then reload it later, without losing individual waypoints you had stored
    for that lake?
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I think Magellan and Garmin are both quality units - I have the Garmin 76 maps and I do not see how the map could be much more detailed than what I already have - my problem is I have to put my glasses on to read the damn thing and it is supposed to have the largest screen for all the hand held models
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trihull
    I don't want to belabor this topic as I know there have been several posts on this already, but I am trying to get the biggest bang for my bucks, and I need your experience.

I have narrowed my choices down to two units 1. Magellan Meridian Gold $199. and 2. Garmin GPSMap 76 $180. The Magellan has 16 Meg of RAM, and touts that their base map is more detailed than others, but also only has 500 waypoints. The Garmin has 8 Meg of RAM but has 1,000 waypoints.

My delimina (ms) seems to be, do I need more than 500 waypoints and an additional 8 MEG of RAM and is the base map more detailed than others. Also, I am concerned about how long the unit takes to acquire a satilite and how often it updates, or how quickly.

I primarily think I would use the unit to relocate brush piles, but as technology advances there may be other feachures that I would like as I learn to use the unit.

Any help would certainly be appreciated. Please ignore my spelling.

Trihull
    We use the magellan meridian marine. It is accurate, easy to read, etc. I wish youcould scroll a screen at a time with it instead of a waypoint at a time. Otherwise we like it just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=sls]We use the magellan meridian marine. It is accurate, easy to read, etc. I wish youcould scroll a screen at a time with it instead of a waypoint at a time. Otherwise we like it just fine By the way where are you getting prices? 199 for a platinum is prety good

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Garmin Legend. 500 way points are plenty, there are several free programs on the internet that are waypoint databases. One ,Easy gps, allows one to download to his computer with descriptions and locales of the waypoints. Easy to reload to gps when needed.