Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: almost new state record!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default almost new state record!!!

man oh man.......I hooked a monster crappie friday night by camp on seneca river...using live shad this badboy hit and jumped up two foot out of the water...over 20 plus inches and well over 3 pounds.. 1 a.m. my heart is pounding, my bucket is full of slabs...but the big one got away!!! needless to say I fished all night trying to get that big one....good thing it's only minutes from camp....he has my circle hook and I want it back!!!!......dave

Post Thanks / Like

went back today looking for him...only 6 --10" slabs....caught 50 little ones..couldn't keep the bass away...smallmouth out the ..fun but tired of catching them...did hook a 15 last night,but that was the only keeper......lovin my honey hole!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default The elusive slab-ola !!

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfilet
    went back today looking for him...only 6 --10" slabs....caught 50 little ones..couldn't keep the bass away...smallmouth out the ..fun but tired of catching them...did hook a 15 last night,but that was the only keeper......lovin my honey hole!!!
    Hey fishnfilet !

Kap K here ..... I' ve been too busy with work-related projects to
    get on board of the forum for a few weeks .... sounds like you got
    into a situation similar to one ( nearly ) I had during the August full-moon phase !! As predicted , the action for both calicos and 'eyes
    were hot-'n-heavy .... it always hurts to loose a huge slab , and I don' t doubt for a minute that you tangled w/ a potential record
    recently .... I too , got into some of the biggest slabs of my fishing career during the phase ....got a sixteen to seventeen incher right up to the gunwale , but couldn' t get the net under him fast enough....... Damn !!! I feel your pain ! But hey -- this is what it' s all about , and all we can do is keep going after #'s and eventually
    we' ll get into the occasional giant -- anything over 14 or 15 " is always going to be tricky in landing ....think about it -- any slab that' s three lbs. and up will be a big challenge to boat , due to the sheer weight being exerted to the delicate mouth tissue of such a slab while hoisting up over the gunwale !
    Last outing ( another nightstalking adventure ) they really " turned on " between 3:00am and 8:00am ..... for the first time this year , we actually caught our limit -- TWO TIMES APIECE !!! No joke !
    Most fish were over 10" , boated thirty- plus between 11" and 14"
    .... sizes were much larger than usual ...and another drag -- we got an enormous walleye up to the bow of the boat , with a facefull of
    weeds ( about 10lbs of walleye & 15lbs of weeds !! ) .... but dangit , we couldn' t get the net under him -- we were using a trout-sized net and the slob walleye wouldn' t fit !! We tried pulling the weeds away , but as we did , the 'eye bolted for freedom .... this sort of thing actually happens once or twice every night we' ve been out for an all-nighter , believe it --or not !! ( Note to self -- remember to
    bring one large net and one smaller net . )
    Dave , have you tried the Berkley gulp grub/minnow yet ? We' ve had great results w/ 'em during low light hours ..... right up thru the
    later morning hours .... 4" pearl white grub/minnow w/ twistertail , on a 3/8th oz. "Owner" jighead ( red painted head ) ... hook size is ,
    are you ready -- a freakin' 2/0 !! Yes , that big !! I know you are well aware that jumbo slabs have gaping maws , and we' ve found that even a 2/0 IS NOT TOO BIG for the 'trap' of a wall-hanger !
    These Owner - 2/0 jigs are hand-poured by one of our buddies . We then paint them white or red , and team them up w/ the Berkley bait I described .....all I can tell you is -- WOW !!
    We pitch these babies far out from the boat toward weedlines , let them fall all the way down , and work 'em real slow, thru 15' to 25'
    of water , right up to the boat . Hits come on nearly every cast . I can' t say enough about this deadly combo !
    Keep up the good work , dave ! Sounds like you' re hittin ' em real good .... let me knoe if you' ve tried any large/unusual baits or lures , combos , etc .
    I was wondering if I can post any photos on this forum .... do you know ?
    Have a great Labor(less) Day Weekend .... and best of
    luck to all you fellow slab-seekers out there .... it' d be nice to hear
    from some of you others out there ..... hello ??!!?? Don' t be bashfull
    guys ( and you fishin' gals too ) .... let us know what' s up !!
    Gotta fly , Dave .... ' till next report -- Kapn' K signing off

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Hey fishnfilet -- I' ve got a message for you .....

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfilet
    man oh man.......I hooked a monster crappie friday night by camp on seneca river...using live shad this badboy hit and jumped up two foot out of the water...over 20 plus inches and well over 3 pounds.. 1 a.m. my heart is pounding, my bucket is full of slabs...but the big one got away!!! needless to say I fished all night trying to get that big one....good thing it's only minutes from camp....he has my circle hook and I want it back!!!!......dave
    Hey fishnfilet --- Kap K here !
    I almost forgot to tell you ...... the Seneca river called .... that 20"
    slab wants a rematch !!! ( Har Har ! )

( By the way , I KNOW he' s there .... I don' t doubt it for a
    split second ! Go get 'em Dave !!! ----- P.S. -- Did you dipnet /
    castnet to capture your own shad for bait ? What size were they ? )
    Later - slabdude !

Kapn' K --- signing off

Post Thanks / Like

we caught our own at our spot,they come in late at night and we just scoop away!! have live well set up at my camp to keep them friski!! only limited twice?? my jig combo's don't produce yet,only live bait, usually later in the fall is when I start using different jig combo's...to post pictures go to main forum and check out instructions,send me a p.m. with your e-mail address and I'll show you some slabs and giant conquest from this year....made a crappie structure that has been working for me,took an intertube..put a piece of 3/4" plywood on top...drilled out 8" hole in the center,drilled all 4 corners put in 10' 1/2 pvc with T's on top.. ancor down, put light in center,with tracter battery and put in deep hole..hang on!!!!! pulled in occasional pike also,hopefully no one will mess with it,left it there to congrigate the school...good luck to you,had bad weekend.. only 20 keepers.. chilly last night,but that's good full moon the weekend of the 18th .........dave

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Hey fishnfilet -- I' ve got a message for you .....

Hey f & f ..... check out my p.m. ....... This weekend looks REEEEAAALLy HOTTTT !! R U goin' out nite-stalkin' ??
    Drop me a line ........ Kapn' K