PDA

View Full Version : Foud a neat trick for worms

ready2fish
05-10-2009, 11:49 AM
The other day i was trying to get rid of the fish smell in my live well so i filled it up with water and add a small amount of bleach.

When i drained it out it ran down the driveway, about 15 minutes later i noticed night crawlers all over the driveway. Did this again today same thing.

So now every time i need worms i pour this in the yard and easy picking, thought this was kid of neat, I picked a bunch and stuffed them in a worm can, time will tell if they die

Any one else have a similar remedy

LSUguy
05-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Not sure but the bleach might have adverse effects on catching fish with them... but who knows.
When I was younger my dad would just set up a sprinkler in the yard near his compost pile, late evening and early morning before the sun came up you could just pick up hundreds of huge fat night crawlers. ight think about trying that.

CastandBlast
05-11-2009, 07:15 AM
The soap kids make bubbles with will make worms practically jump out of the ground.

2yrsnluvinit
05-11-2009, 07:19 AM
my great grand father use to take a bucket of walnuts (green) crush them and let it over flow with water and the worms would just jump out of the ground, they didn't live more than a day or two.

Pat
05-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Used powdered mustard and water to bring those big crawlers out , BUT rinse them off after they come up out of the ground...........
probably burns them like bleach etc..........

Fatman
05-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Don't know that I'd want to be pouring bleach out on my yard

Fatman

ejones1961
05-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Bleach kills grass pretty good

ready2fish
05-11-2009, 08:48 PM
thats the whole idea, no grass to mow = more time to fish, lol

SMITTY 58D
05-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Shock them with electricity or I even seen this stick that you drive into the ground with a bunch of cuts on it. take another stick and rub it on the first one which makes a bunch of vibrations in the ground and I guess they come on up to the surface. No chemicals.

Angler53
05-12-2009, 12:52 PM
The other day i was trying to get rid of the fish smell in my live well so i filled it up with water and add a small amount of bleach.

I was cleaning my livewells with bleach until I found out it eats up the rubber flappers in the pump valves. It cost me $40 and an afternoon on my belly. Overhauling the valves was easy, getting the thing out and back in was torcher.
L L Marine Products Restore Wonderfoam Glass Cleaner S 12 spot remover Biozyme (http://www.cbhobbies.com/products.shtml)
RejeX from CB Hobbies space age protection for cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles & airplanes. (http://www.cbhobbies.com/biozyne.shtml)

creekslick
05-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Soapy water from a washing machine will bring them to the surface. When I was a kid our washing machine drain line dumped in the yard so every time Mom washed clothes we would go pick up crawlers.

superdave1984
05-12-2009, 01:22 PM
My neighbor has a HUGE magnolia tree in her yard. I can go out there pretty much anytime, kick over some leaves and get as many worms as I want. They are right under the leaves, no digging.

ReelFunGuy
05-13-2009, 04:55 AM
my great grand father use to take a bucket of walnuts (green) crush them and let it over flow with water and the worms would just jump out of the ground, they didn't live more than a day or two.

Crushed green Walnuts make a very potent poison and if you are not careful and you take a toe sack full of them and drop it in a two or three acre lake, the next day you can come back and pick up ALL the fish in it.
If you leave the sack in the lake it will be dead for years, not good.
Now this is illeagal so do not get caught IF you decide you do not like someone with a lake and I in no way have any controll over what anyone does with that info.
Just a little clause for my benifit, but I did not tell you all this so you could go out and try it, I just wanted you all to know so that you did not do it accidentally !!!
Wish you all the best and may you have a good day and may you spend it fishing.
Rusty

mepperson
05-13-2009, 06:05 AM
Shock them with electricity or I even seen this stick that you drive into the ground with a bunch of cuts on it. take another stick and rub it on the first one which makes a bunch of vibrations in the ground and I guess they come on up to the surface. No chemicals.

I found this out when trying to get a metal fence pole out of the ground. The vibrations made them fly out of the ground.

yankee doodler
05-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Shoot up here in west Michigan with all the rain we've been getting the last couple of springs. I just have to wait for the next big dump and when my yard ponds over, the crawlers come to the surface by the hundreds. Last year, I collected nearls a five gallon bucket of them. That's a lota worms!

crappietale
05-13-2009, 07:17 AM
My wife uses long piece of old carpet to walk on between the rows in her vegetable garden. Anyime I want worms I just lift up the carpet and pick them up by the dozen. :D

YD...Get ready to have your yard pond over. We're supposed to get heavy rains over the next 24 hours.

labsnslabs
05-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Bleach will not only kill the grass but it can also sterilize the soil for a long time. Diluted, im not sure what it will do.

ready2fish
05-13-2009, 04:29 PM
well the worms i got after doing that were doing fine until i left them in the boat after fishing and i had baked worms