Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Finder and live-well off one 12v battery?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish Finder and live-well off one 12v battery?

I'm continuing to outfit my new (and first) boat. It's a Tracker 1548 (15') jon. It has a 9.9 hp manual start 4 stroke. No alternator or battery charging capability.

I want to install a fish finder/gps and a livewell. Forgive my newbie questions, but here's what I'd like to know:

1) Can I run a fish finder/gps directly from a battery? Anything special about hooking one up (ie fuses, etc)?

2) If I can, I'd like to run a small live well w/ airator off the same battery. Is that possible and OK?

3) What type of battery is recommended?

4) Neither the fish finder or livewell should draw much power. Can i expect "all day" power if I use them both at the same time on one battery?

5) Any other recommendations would be appreciated. (I'm really looking to keep it all simple.)
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

ncnat runs livewell - fish finder - navigation lights - and trolling motor on his 16 foot tracker - he uses a separate battery for nightstalking lights - submersible and the lights to see in the boat
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default cooler

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Just get you a deep cycle battery and put a fuse inline for the depth finder. Might fuse the live well aerator also. You should be ok running them both off the main battery.

As for a live well for a john boat. I saw some at Bass Pro Shops online catalog. They sit across the john boat. They are slanted at each end to fit the contours of the sides of a john boat. They looked pretty neat to me. Not sure how much they cost.
    ncnat has an igloo cooler for a live well - he put a pump in running lake water in the cooler and a bigle pump to back out to keep it circulating - has a diver in it to put minnows on one side and caught fish on the other - I believe he told me he had less than $50 in the whole works - and it works great
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was considering the Igloo livewell as well.

Thanks for the answers.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What trolling motor did you wind up with? How are you powering it?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I run my livewell, (2) Fishfinders, GPS, trolling motor and navigation lights off of the same battery. Never had a problem with it.

I use the Maxx-29 everstart deep cycle battery from wallyworld.

I have everything going to a fuse block except the trolling motor. The trolling motor goes directly to the battery via 6 gauge wire. I recommend using fuse blocks as it minimizes the wires that you have to connect to your battery.

I also recommend using as big of a cooler that can fit in your boat comfortably for a livewell.
    GO STEELER'S!

papasage is online now Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

my finder started acting up soi put it on the cranking battery. it is deep cyckle also .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Our boat was wired from the factory to run the livewell, nav lights, trolling motor and accessories (fish finder) off one 12 volt battery. We don't use a gas motor and as a rule, everything works fine. We did install a circuit breaker between the battery and trolling motor outlet after frying a fuse. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can run the trolling motor, livewell, fish finder, etc. from the same battery. Just put in line fuses on each of the positive wires. A group 27 or larger deep cycle battery will do the trick. The fish finder will draw an amp or less unless you get one with built-in GPS and a 400 gph pump for the aerator will draw about 2.5 amps. A trolling motor draws about one amp per pound of rated thrust at WOT. The battery will barely know any of the components are there except the trolling motor.

The only problem you may have is noise from the trolling motor or aerator showing up on the fish finder. I think they sell some type of isolators to eliminate this problem.

A cooler is your best bet for a live well and BPS sells spray bars designed to mount in coolers. They work well. I just installed one in my boat's live well and have it on a timer. At the end of the day, my keeper crappie are in good condition and quite lively.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the fuse block, saves on too many wires connecting to your battery. You can also install a switch block in the area where you sit...
    Navigation lights
    Bilge
    Areator
    Interior lights(optional)
    Connect the trolling motor directly through with an inline breaker or fuse.
    One battery will suffice for you, but I would suggest two batteries regardless.
    If you are using an areator constantly, and your trolling motor, you will want a back up. The draw from your Fish finder/GPS is minimal.
    While you are doing the wiring, install two cigarette type lighter plugs, one close to you for a spotlight while night fishing, one towards the front for spot, or other tyoes of lighting.
    One battery will handle everything, but running the areator alot, and the trolling alot could cut a full charge down fast. It's always nice to have a back-up, or to split the heavy usage items up power supply wise.
    Nothing worse than to be on some fish, and your power running low.
    Not to mention, a radio. Crappie seem to like Country music, save the rock-n-roll for the truck.
    So start with one battery, then add another when you can. I have two Marine Deep cylce Batteries, the smaller one is for cranking the motor and areator use, the other is for bilge, fish finder, Nav lights, submersible lights, spotlight, trolling, and horn.
    I am going to buy another Large Marine Deep Cycle soon to use as a backup.
    Reaper
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast