PDA

View Full Version : moisture control for tackle boxes

jhef
05-08-2009, 08:10 PM
anyone got any idea what i can put into my tackle boxes to keep moisture from rusting my hooks etc.? thanks for any replies

OGFWeatherby
05-08-2009, 08:20 PM
The Inhibitor VCI Pro Chips (http://mpcsports.com/browseproducts/The-Inhibitor-VCI-Pro-Chips.html)

Cane Pole
05-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Desiccant Silica Gel Packs is what inside most electronics stuff. My hooks never rust. I loose em.:eek:

Yadkin Guide
05-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Cane Pole is right. Get these packs from your local drug store pharmacy for free or go to the local shoe store and see if they will give you some. All shoes, electronics, and drugs come with these packs in them to keep out moisture. If you know someone in a shoe store tell them to save them for you. Most of the time they are glad to because they throw them away. Put a couple in you tackle box trays and no more rust. Change them out every so often. Put them in tool boxes or anywhere there is rust.

Yadkin Guide
Extreme Fishing Concepts (http://www.extremefishingconcepts.com)

rocket rich
05-09-2009, 06:05 AM
your hooks may rust if you have BPS jigs packed in salt open. i found out the hard way salt in the jig pack will rust hooks in a tackle box.I had my favorite jigs and hooks in a divided container and the hooks rusted in a couple of winter months when I didn't fish

SpeckWick
05-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Yeah, what rocket rick said is dead on. Don't mix your jigheads or hooks in the same box as the heavy salt tubes. Instant rust! Cane Pole's idea is one I hadn't thought of. Seems like those little things are in everything you buy anyway.

laserdoc
05-09-2009, 11:16 AM
anyone got any idea what i can put into my tackle boxes to keep moisture from rusting my hooks etc.? thanks for any replies

Don't leave your jigs out in the rain?? It will ruin the laser sharpness:)
Actually mine catch more fish with a bit of rust. Keeps those red sickle hooks red :):):eek:

Fatman
05-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I always save the packets so that I have them. They work good.

Fatman

skiptomylu
05-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Okay, don't put your jigs and lures up wet is the first thing. Next buy some thin cork and cut it to fit every little compartment and lay it in the bottom. Use to do that wil all by boxes for bass fishing and never had any rust. Main thing though was the first thing I said, don't put them back in the box wet!

Skip

flycaster
05-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Before placing the Desiccant Silica Gel Packs in your tackle box, place them in your wifes microwave oven for 10 - 15 seconds. This will remove any residual moisture in the packets. Then every couple of months remove from tackle box and repeat placing them in the microwave to remove any moisture.
The Desiccant Silica Gel Packs will serve you well for many years.:):)

DaveCourington
05-11-2009, 12:14 PM
This might be strange sounding but it does work... If you can't find silica gel packs in the size you want, or if you want a big one for the rod locker/storage areas in your boat, you can make them pretty easily. Here goes. I use doubled up knee high stockings (Panty hose) and you go to Wal Mart and buy a bag of the crystal type cat litter in the pet section. All that stuff is is silica gel in large quantity. dump a cup or so in the toe one of the stocking and tie it off and you can hang it in your rod storage, etc. or put in something smaller for your tackle box. It also is pretty effective in keeping moisture and damp smell out of the basement or garage are of your home. It is great for the tool box as well so your wrenches and stuff don't rust up... Another bonus is, if you need a knee high stocking for any reason while on your boat, you can dump it out and there you have one... Not sure what you might need it for, but it gives you the option...:D:D:D

2yrsnluvinit
05-11-2009, 01:23 PM
this is the reason i'm glad i'm a part of this forum there is always something to learn for us that haven't been fishing that long to learn from those that have, i want to thank all of you for your input because there are questions that i have and before i can ask them they have already been answered because i'm not the only newby to crappie fishing.

flyflinger
05-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Hey Jeff: I tested a product for North American Fishing called VCI Pro Chips. It is a paper insert that you put into your tackle box that stops rust and corrosion. You have to change them out every 6 months but they worked well in my tackle box and great in my gun box. The name of the product is
Inhibitor by VCI Technology. Likely turn up in a web search. Hope this helps.