Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How far do you travel to fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How far do you travel to fish?

Last edited by Moose1am; 02-16-2006 at 12:09 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Moose, I'm pretty lucky that I live only 1/4 mile from Lake Nimrod (3500 acres). I may drive a couple miles to a ramp closer to where I am going to fish if it's very far from the house.

I set up this year to troll Bandits but haven't done too much of it. Partly because of the gas prices ($2.66 gal. at the local bait shop) and I really haven't went out a whole lot here lately.

However I do have a pretty good drive to work. Still a good trade-off to live on your favorite crappie lake! That's why I bought a new Honda Civic in 2004. I get between 38 to 42 MPG.

I'm about 1 hour away from Lake Quachita,45 min. from Lake Dardanelle, and about an hour and a half from Lake Hamilton where Jerry and Darryl guide.

I still pretty much stay right here on my home lake. Can't remember the last time I strapped my rig down for a road trip.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

The ramp on Lake Barkley I use 50% is only three miles from my house. The other two ramps I use are about 5 miles away and the two ramps I use on Kentucky Lake are about 12 and 14 miles away. I fish Barkley mostly, but do fish Kentucky 15 to 20 times a year. I tend to cluster my brushpiles in bays and dropoffs within two miles of the ramp I use on that trip. I tend to be a patient fisherman, in the manner of, when I find fish I stick with them a while, before giving up on them. You can't catch fish running up and down the lake, you can only catch them when you wet a line.

Post Thanks / Like

I live about 8 miles from the ramp on Lake Barkley that I use 90% of the time. All the crappie fishing usually takes place in two bays from the ramp to the furtherest place is maybe a 1.5 miles last year I fished from November to March without having to add any gas.

Post Thanks / Like

Here in SE VA, I drive 40-45 miles one way to get to the majority of the reservoirs I fish. I live in Yorktown and Beaverdam Swamp is to the NNW. I fish there about 75% of the time. To the WNW are Chickahominy Reservoir, Chickahominy River, Diascund Creek Reservoir, Little Creek Reservoir, and Waller Mill Reservoir. The first four are all close together and the latter is about 10 miles closer. There are a few closer places within 10-15 miles, but the crappie fishing is not good in them. One of the best places on the east coast to crappie fish is Kerr Reservoir. It is about 160 miles to the west. I only get there a few times a year.

There are two more rivers to the NW and many reservoirs and rivers to the SE I have never tried. All of these places are 30 miles or so away. They are well used by the bass fishermen on the weekends and I stay from them to avoid the crowds.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

During pre-spawn, I travel 93 miles one way. It's a shallow lake, so I start the 1st of March and fish till April, 1st or 2nd week, and wear the crappie out, then I make my way closer to the house. The lakes closer to the house are about 20 to 25 miles. I try not to notice the gas prices, if so, i'll just get discouraged.
    Hope they hurry and build more nuke plants to help get us off the oil.

Post Thanks / Like

I travel about 30-35 miles one way to my favorite lake. There are lakes closer around where I live but the fishing in them sucks so I drive a bit farther and have good fishing. I bought a State Park sticker this year to fish a lake that the State had just re-opened this year after draining it and restocking it. As per usual for this State fishery they didn't keep any fish for brood stock and stocked all small fish back into the lake. Their aren't any fish of keepable size in it yet so will have to wait a couple more years before it is worth the 70 mile trip one way to fish it. The Game Warden up there told me there was a bunch of 6 in Bluegills that everyone was going after. Thanks, but no Thanks, I'll stay around here and catch my nice Crappie out of a private lake. I don't travel like I would have liked to have done this year because of the gas prices.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

High Rock is about an hour and 15 minutes from the house - of course the saltwater is 260 miles and I go there about once a month from now thru October if I got gas money - in - laws live there too so I got free place to stay - also I have left my boat at their house so I can drive the wife's nissan rather than the F-150 - but I will have to bring the boat back at the end of September for some crappie action
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Lake - Ky Lake

Distance to lake - approx 60 miles

Most Often Used Ramp - Britton Ford

Distance travelled on the water - as far as I want to go to get to spots I want to fish

The feeling I get when I pull em in - - - - - PRICELESS

When Paul and I have worked and stressed all week, it doesn't make a lot of sense to worry about the price of gas compared to the enjoyment of one of the things we love to do best. It's all about priorities, you know. Our time on this earth may be shorter than we anticipate.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

About 21 mi from house to Keowee ramp on Kerr Scott. I go to Lake Weiss, AL every spring and plan on starting some fall fishing down there too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast