Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primer bulb sticking on Poulan chainsaw, won't start.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Primer bulb sticking on Poulan chainsaw, won't start.

I have a Poulan 220 Pro chainsaw that I bought a few years ago and probably have only used it two or three times. (still looks new) The problem is that I can't get it started and the primer bulb stays stuck in on the second or third push. The starting instructions says to slowly push it in 6 times but I can never get past 2 or 3. It couldn't be as simple as a bad priming bulb could it? I don't know much about engines so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Varnish created from old gas can cause the primer bulb to stick...it can also gum up the carburetor.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I agree with G-3 Fisherman but the good side is that they make replacement bulbs and if you are mechanically inclined the kit to rebuild carb is about $6.00 at your local O,Reilly Auto Parts store. You can get replacement bulb there also.
    "If in this life you have a good wife, at least one good dog, 1 good horse, 1 great fishing boat and a decent truck to pull it with and enough sense to know which is the most important then you have truly been blessed."

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure the tube that goes to the carb if it has one is not stopped up with old oil or debris.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

And once you get it cleaned up and running again...use a fuel stabilizer and maybe you won't have this problem again...it works for me.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Run some Seafoam thru it.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

George, check this site and you might find a manual for that motor. Disregard the log-in requirements and all that. EBSCO Publishing Service Selection Page - Ehost2
    Seafoam is good too.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

The other day I pulled out my "weed eater" to do some work, like your chain saw, had only used it 7-8 times over the last couple years.
    I generally just leave the gas in it till next time, if it cranks, then we're good to go.
    This time, it'd crank, then shut off, messed with it till I got blister on my finger.
    Looked at gas hoses, tried to remove one, it crumbled rather than slip off the little tube, etc. So, run down buy new hose, replace, then get another blister.
    Fed up, I took it to Lawn Mower repair shop. Guy says it'll be $80.00-$100.00, a guy walks in says just throw it away, buy new one, owner of shop agrees.
    He also says gas is only good for approx 30 days.
    I take it home, pull back off, find more old hose, even one has come off (probably when I was throwing it across the yard in anger), etc.....
    I take carb off, take a plate off, blow through it, put new hose on, run gas (new) through it, put all back together.
    Runs like a scalded ape now ! ! !
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same problem with my poulan chain saw bulb a couple of months ago. Found a replacement bulb at the local ACE hardware store and it runs like a new one.

Post Thanks / Like

yep. just replace the bulb and while your at it rebuild that little walboro carb. The diaphragms get stiff and will not flex so it will not start or keep running. They are easy to rebuild. Better than buying a new one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast