Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 1989 115 Mercury starter?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1989 115 Mercury starter?

I have the above motor and the starter has trouble engaging and when it does it drags. The battery is hot so other than the starter is there anything else that could cause that problem? Any body used these folks? http://www.newatvstarters.com/
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably 90% of all starter problems are due to loose or dirty connections. Also look at the terminal lugs on all cables for any signs of corrosion at the base of the lug. They can corrode inside where you can't see it. If you are sure they are all good you can have the starter tested and rebuilt if needed at your local auto electric shop.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Also use nuts and washers on your cables...not the little hand tight wing nuts. I know that doesn't sound like it would make a difference but it will. Think if you just "hand tighten" your lugs on your vehicle....lawn mower....or 4 wheeler...same goes for the boat. They need to be tight.

Try pouring a little coke on the posts...this will eat away any corrosion and will give you a better connection for a bit while wet. Pour then try to start and see if that changes anything...if so...check your connections.

Just like IBFSHN said...check those wires. Saw this on a kenworth a couple weeks ago. Changed everything out...still problems. Cut up into the cable about 6"...corroded the whole way. Redid that piece...now we are all good.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15