Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie books

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie books

I am a reader, all kinds, but mainly fishing and after my bass days came to an end mainly crappie fishing. Not near as much about crappie fishing out there and a lot of it is a rehash, don't guess there are too much new to learn. I think the reason for so much on bass fishing is selling new lures, boats and other equipment, think the bass guys have to have the latest and greatest all the time. I have most of the crappie books that I know about, so I'm going to list some of mine and give a little info about what I think about them, repeat IMHO.

Crappie secrets & techniques for catching other panfish, W. Horace Carter
    Some great stories and the first place I ever read about jig & minnow combo. He was using pieces of plastic worms and minnows on a hook and drifting across the lake. Also used a float. Mainly in Fla.

Practical guide to catching more crappie, Buck Taylor
    Pretty much the same stuff as todays reading, he did say something about using small pork rind on your jigs which is something I have to try. He has a great section in the back on paper graphs and how to interpret the readings which can be applied to todays LCD's
    Both of these books are some of my older ones.

Crappie Wisdom, In-fisherman
    Lots of techo stuff and drawings etc. I'm sure most of you have that book.

Master's secrets of crappie fishing, John E Phillips
    One of my favorite writers, some good info, he even has a chapter on trolling crankbaits, attn. Jeff

New techniques that catch more crappie and Advanced crappie secrets both by Steve L. Wunderle
    Both pretty good reads, he too has some photos of paper graph readings.

Winning crappie secrets, slow vertical trolling, Tim Huffman
    Tips and tactics etc of Ronnie Capps & Steve Coleman. Good read for the tournament and spider rigging.

As I said I enjoy reading as have gotten something out of all of my books, just remembering and putting it to use when the fishing get tough is my problem. Hope no author will take offense to anything I wrote just IMHO. I'm sure there is more good reading out there and I would love to hear about any other good fishing books, Steve
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have said before, bass fishermen and their lures are like clothes,
    go in and out of fashion. Tees me off though, when I grow real attached
    to one, and it goes out of fashion and then I have to pay more or drive
    way off to get them. My all time favorite, a man who worked in WM sporting
    goods told me about them - after he had found out wally was gonna quit
    buying them, and had went around every store within a 100 mile radius and
    bought 'em out with his employee discount... I still appreciate him telling
    me though. And so many great colors are obsolete, can't even order them
    from the manufacturer anymore I think there is still plenty to be learned,
    both about fish and baitfish behavior, and techniques - just gotta
    think outside the box - and learn to ignore people that look at you funny. :D
    Last edited by J White; 08-26-2005 at 11:42 AM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

crappie and most all fish are a mistery . can be fishing and se fish every where ondepth finder .and then nothing . anywhere you go don`t see a fish maby every now and then . in some of my readind is they don`t go far usealey just down so close to botton ar aginst structor that the findr can`t pick them up .
    as far as how far they travle i havent read anything on that . except on a small lke several years ago a crappie was taged with a beeper and it wold go back to the same districk but would roam all over the lake at times .
    i will fish in deep water most all the time 10 ft or less around structor aor a drop off . some times i will try shallow and pick one up that is roaming aroud . or maby mooving to anothe section of the lake ..
    look at fish like a person . if the wend is blowing we will git out of it and fish is the same way and if it is to hot we will git in the shade . and some times we will jusr roame around . just think what you would do under those conditions . it is hot here and i am staying under the air.:D.
    i am going to git boat ready for the cooler dayes . like most do up north in the winter time . i do most of my fish in the cooler weather . it is gitting about that time.
    retired and now i will always fish