Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How shallow is shallow?

Slab Man Guest

Default How shallow is shallow?

Probably stupidest question ever presented on this board so I'm ready to take the heat. Got my first boat last summer so this is really the first time I've ever chased the crappie during spawn. When they 'move up', how shallow do they really get? Are they literally right on the bank or are they still a few feet out or at all parts in between?

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

We were catching them a couple of weeks ago in 1.5 to 2 feet of water. Depends alot on water clarity. They were slamming the jigs as soon as they would get out of sight when the lake was muddy.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

No stupid questions here.......at times you can't fish shallow enough i caught em last week in water so shallow i was surprised their fins wasn't sticking out of the water,thats not every fish in the lake like speck said water clarity determines how shallow they will go,on loz a general rule is that they will spawn from 1'-8'.........good luck and go get em!!!!
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Slab Man Guest

Thanks. That's why I already like this forum. Seems like a bunch of good ole boys. Been on other message boards where they are all a bunch of azzes.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, no azzs here. Thanks goodness. What kind of pole configuration are you using. Most newbies to crappie fishing still like to use a ultra lite with 4-6 lb. And, curious as to what your presentation will be in 1- 1 1/2 feet of water. If you haven't yet, you might want to invest in a longer pole ( some say 8' others say 12') Anything in between is excellent. Just tryin to get a feel for what you're tryin to do (yeah, I know - catch crappie lol). Don't know how really 'new' to this you are, or how new YOU THINK you are. Guys here will help you with about anything as long as they know you're a stand up, do it by the rules, kinda guy. Good luck and stay safe.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you've already gotten the answers needed. The water clarity will determine how shallow. I've seen fish with their fins out of the water and yet I've caught fish gushing eggs in 15-20' of water.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Slab Man Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jimmydee1 View Post
    Yeah, no azzs here. Thanks goodness. What kind of pole configuration are you using. Most newbies to crappie fishing still like to use a ultra lite with 4-6 lb. And, curious as to what your presentation will be in 1- 1 1/2 feet of water. If you haven't yet, you might want to invest in a longer pole ( some say 8' others say 12') Anything in between is excellent. Just tryin to get a feel for what you're tryin to do (yeah, I know - catch crappie lol). Don't know how really 'new' to this you are, or how new YOU THINK you are. Guys here will help you with about anything as long as they know you're a stand up, do it by the rules, kinda guy. Good luck and stay safe.
    Rod is a 7 foot ultralight. Reel is ultralight spinner. Have 4 lb. test line. sounds like water clarity is the biggest factor to pay attention to

Post Thanks / Like

Caught fish last week in the flooded bushes. Water couldn't have been more than 8 to 10 inches deep.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of enjoyed throwing a small Beetle-spin type lure to shallow crappie last week when fishing Truman. Throw it out, count it down a couple seconds and then slow roll it back to the boat- it was kind of like miniature bass fishing- but having something to clean at the end of the day. I did that, slip bobbered 20 inched deep and also long-poled in shallow water- all methods worked good.

Post Thanks / Like

Default shallow is shallow!

Just finished sampling crappie above W in Smithville. The crappie were shallow...1 to 2 feet deep. Caught some nice fish. Actually only caught one white crappie under 9.5 inches. The rest were almost entirely 10 and 11's. Not many females yet. The next week should be real good. We are trying to get the KC Corps Water control folks to let us hold the lake at its current level. Unfortunately there are many factors that go into the decision of when to release water. They are usually very good at working with us, so we'll see. We're asking for a little higher water level than they are comfortable with, but they may go for it. The lake manager is on board, he's a big fisherman which helps.

The crappie today were in flooded grasses. Especially if there is a lay down log too. Going fishing tomorrow to see if I can catch them the old fashioned way. We're off tomorrow for Truman's Birthday, they can't pay us what we're worth so we get days off!! Nice of it to coincide with the crappie spawn! I always limit out this day, so hoping tomorrow is the same. Last year I caught spawning crappie Memorial Day weekend too.

Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Jake Allman
    Fisheries Mgmt Biologist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast