Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lights??

Post Thanks / Like

Default lights??

I know several threads have been written on this subject and I'm sure I used info from them, but after using one a few times I would like opinions on fishing lights. First to give everyone a laugh, my first purchase was a submersible light. I rigged it up, put it in the water, hooked it up..........nothing!! Main lesson I learned...hook it up BEFORE it gets dark that way its much easier to get red on red and black on black!!
    My next purchase was the floating headlight. I have used it a few times with some success. If no fish are biting I get plenty of entertainment watching the minnows swim in a circle around the light!! My questions are, which seem to work better, floating or submersibles? Any advantage to using more than one? and if so both kinds or 2 or more of one kind?
    Any opinions and expertise will be valued and appreciated.

b49 is now 51!
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday Boat!
    The submersible Green light seems to be all the rage these days. I don't own one, but will eventually. I use a starfire submersible white light. It works just fine for drawing in the bait fish. The Green is supposed to be a better attractant though. I tend to get more bites far down below the light, or more off to one side where the darker areas are. These guys/gals in here can and will tell you though what works for them.
    Reaper
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't nightfished in years, but have a couple of Starfires laying around
    somewhere - was wondering if it would help any to put some kind of green
    wrapper over them - colored saran wrap several layers thick, or something
    to that effect - remember, I ain't cheap, just broke. and broke down...
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

The green lights aren't all they're cracked up to be.I have witnessed the green lights outfished by the whites on several occasions.Not only that but I have seen a green light stop the bite in it's tracks.A couple fellas I fish with occasionally will try and cast 1 ounce sinkers at the green light just to try and break it .My theory is that the fish feed at the edge of the light.I have done a lot of (research :p ) and this tends to hold true.I like to fish a few long rods(12') around the sides of the light and short ultra lights right down in the light.Most of my bigger fish bite at the edge.I try to imagine the ball of light that is created in the water and hit the side and bottom edges of it.We also use one light per person atleast.The starfire are good and make a lot more light than the floaters but they suck your battery dry a lot quicker than the floaters.Something to ponder.Green light bad......
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.fishinglightsetc.com/GreenLiteII.html I use the light in this link, works great

Post Thanks / Like

The q-beam is a little less bulky than the floater. Otherwise it don't make a lick.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Q-Beam Starfire is the only one I will use for night fishing.

Now when the toon is being used in the pursuit of affection instead of fish I find the green light is better to skinny dip with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    Q-Beam Starfire is the only one I will use for night fishing.

Now when the toon is being used in the pursuit of affection instead of fish I find the green light is better to skinny dip with.
    I use the same one and i also have one of the high priced green lights and I have to say it also works well. It is not a little one like many on the market it is (guessing here since it's not where I am)about 2" diameter and 3' to 3 1/2' long and weighted on both ends. It's called Fisherman's Green Light and cost something over $150.

Sometime I put it on one side of the boat and the 2 Qbeam Starfire II lights on the other side.

It seems to me the the big green light attracts more bait fish if that's possible, because both bring in lots of bait fish.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Both..

...I use "Night Blaster" or "Starfire" white light on 1 side.................green 20" tube lite from BPS on other side......changes from trip to trip on which works better..........I personally like the way the green makes the water look :p ........sort of a surreal glow to water...
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

I've also used both and can say I like the green light like the BPS one better. 1. It doesn't have to be submerged before you put it in the water so it makes a good utility light as well. 2. Less drain on the battery. I use a separate battery just for the light and have to charge it about every three trips. 3. I also like the glow it puts in the water. 4. It's doen't mess up night vision as bad as white light.

I keep mine partially submerged (about 2/3 in the water). That way I can see my rod tips or floats better. Mine has a big snap on the end and I attached an old winch strap hook to it. It came in handy last week when my lantern went out in the middle of the night, I just tied the light horizontal on the outside of the boat and had enough light to see inside the boat and still brought up the bait.
    Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast