Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 5.5 Evinrude outboard dies constantly

Post Thanks / Like

Default 5.5 Evinrude outboard dies constantly

My outboard dies after running a few seconds. I have to shake the bulb for it to remain hard. New fuel filter that's not leaking. Engine cranks with choke on but doesn't stay cranked. Is the float level possibly the problem?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

More than likely its your fuel pump. Bulbs are not suppose to stay hard when the motor is running. There is fuel flowing thru it. But they shouldn't collapse.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really know a whole lot about motors so thanks for the info about the bulb. The pump works as far as I know. I think it's just the float in the carb. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Tennessee Tom--welcome to the forum! It's a process of elimination. There are four basic things I check before taking it in to a pro.

I'd start with the fuel end of things. It could be starving for fuel.

FUEL

1. Check the bulb really well for cracks. Make sure your fuel tank is vented and filled with fresh fuel. I'd go so far as to borrow a friend's tank and try running it on his tank. If it still won't run, then the tank is not the issue. If it DOES run, then you have found the problem. Sometimes the vent hole clogs and it won't run for love nor money.

2. Track down the fuel line and replace fuel filters along the way and/or cracked lines.

3. Finally concerning the fuel, I'd have the carb cleaned if it's been setting up--but not before investigating the air flow.

Air

1. If there is an air filter, replace it. You can test it by running the motor for a few minutes without the filter on and if it continues to run, then that's your issue. If not, it points back to the carb or the fuel pump.

FIRE

1. Clean the plug or replace it if it is worn. Check it for excessive oil. It could be fowling out. Is your oil/gas mixture right? 50:1 usually but check to be sure.

2. Is the spark plug wire in good shape? Pull the plug and reattach it to the plug wire and pull the crank in a dark room. Do you get a good arc???

HEAT

1. If it runs for a few minutes and quits when it gets to normal operating temps, then you could have a water pump problem. Usually they will surge when the unit gets hot. You can check this by looking at the water port. Is is pizzing a stream or is it intermittent? If it's not a steady flow, then replace the water pump (or have it replaced).

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but from the sound of your symtoms, I would highly suspect the fuel delivery system. The float would not be my first guess. (only if it floods would I suspect the float). If the motor's been setting up, I'd bet dollars to donuts that carb needs to be cleaned by someone that knows how to do it.

Let us know what you find out.

aj
    Last edited by Arkie John; 05-07-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You are might have to clean the carb. or carbs. Fuel turns bad real fast these days. And varnishes the carb jets. Hope This Helps!

Post Thanks / Like

It's your fuel pump.Go to (Wholesale Marine) and buy a kit for it.The kit will say"replacement for o.e.393088".Thats the original part number.Then I will send you the info on how to install it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.slabcrappie View Post
    It's your fuel pump.Go to (Wholesale Marine) and buy a kit for it.The kit will say"replacement for o.e.393088".Thats the original part number.Then I will send you the info on how to install it.
    X2...its gonna be the rubber diaphram. And pinhole or slit will cause those symptoms!
    Was that a bite? Forgot what they feel like!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok..........New plugs, new fuel pump, new float, put a small clamp on the line connected to the fuel tank, no cracks in the bulb or fuel line, and new gas with 50:1 mix. I cleaned the carb yesterday with carb cleaner and now it runs fine except getting too much gas. It boggs down reved up and smokes like it has too much gas. Idles with no sputters or loss of power. What is the best way of adjusting the float?

Post Thanks / Like

pull the carb off and turn it upside down. the top of the float should be level with the GASKET line. you have to bend the needle spring a little if its not. also, should have 2 adjustment screws on the outside of the carb. low idle and high idle mixture. tighten in until it seats against carb but not too tight, then turn out 1 1/2 turns. you should be set.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, the boat runs now but sputters a little on idle.