Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aluminum boat cleaning

Post Thanks / Like

Default aluminum boat cleaning

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but - I bought my boat back from my father-in-law who let it sit for 8 years or so with a scum line on it. What is something that will remove this and what would you use in the future for prevention?

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, muratic acid found in the plumbing department of your local hardware store. You have to be careful with it, it's powerful stuff and can eat a hole through aluminum.

You apply it mixed 50/50 with water, spray it on, then quickly spray\rinse it off. Make sure you use plenty of water during the rinse to remove any remnants of the acid.

It actually eats away a microscopic layer of the aluminum leaving a brand new shiny layer of aluminum. It'll look like a new boat.

Don't breath the fumes.... they'll take your breath away.
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

try going to a parts store like bumper to bumper and ask for some alumabrite. we use it on different alum projects. if they have some make sure you start washing at the bottom and go up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotdawg View Post
    try going to a parts store like bumper to bumper and ask for some alumabrite. we use it on different alum projects. if they have some make sure you start washing at the bottom and go up
    Bottom first? Never heard of that one. Any reason why to start at the bottom, then go up?
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper View Post
    Bottom first? Never heard of that one. Any reason why to start at the bottom, then go up?
    so you dint get any streaking lines

Post Thanks / Like

I used star brite or alumabrite aluminum stripper from basspro, there are a number of others that sell it. It is to be diluted. It leaves the aluminum with a dull white finish, but if you want a mirror finish after you are done, just get some mothers wheel polish it is in a small white can about a pint and use a buffer and a rag and it will look like chrome when you are through.
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...OSSSELL_SEARCH
    Last edited by sparky197; 05-07-2009 at 04:34 PM.
    HOOKED-FISHING.COM CDC PROUD SPONSOR
    B'n'M Pro Staff
    Bobby Garland Crappie Baits Pro Staff
    Outdoor Writer

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't have given better advice. It's all good.

Careful with the muratic acid, though. It is a killer process, but when I do mine with it, I make sure I'm at a car wash. Spray it on, QUICKLY use the car wash high pressure wand and get it off.

The 'start at the bottom' advice is right on. Begin at the top and you'll get streaks. It'll really clean up nice, and fast. They make a protection product, something like 'boat hull wax', or something close. Got it at WallyWorld.

Post Thanks / Like

With muratic acid you should wear rubber gloves, long sleeve shirt & pant and eye protection. I worked with these types and stronger acids for 30 years.

Post Thanks / Like

If you should get any muratic acid splashed in your eye you must get your eyes flushed out right away, by a medical person. No waiting or you could have a big problem.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

at the dollar store they have awsom it works real good no acid that will eat your boat if you dont know what you are doing
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast