Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Post spawn crappie pattern on river?????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Post spawn crappie pattern on river?????

I have worn the crappie out in coves off of a large river(cumberland) around brush all spring, but I have no idea what to do when the summer comes. Do they go out to the main river channel when the water warms? Quite a bit of current in the main channel. Most of these coves I fish are less than 12ft deep and I assume the water would get very warm?????? How would you fish the main channel?? Trolling would be impossible and jigs in current would be tough. Any help would be appreciated!

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I would fish the drop offs at the junctions of the creeks where they run into the river and any humps that you see on the maps.
    Allatoona Bandit

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, Thanksfull is right. I'd go to the nearest deeper water or breaks where you caught your spawning crappie.

In rivers, you hae eddies that can work in your favor as well. I small jig cast from the leeward side of an eddie has a great chance to snag a few specks.

You can bet that once the fry get a little growth, they'll seek the deeper water during the transition period, before going back deep this summer.

Findin' 'em is half the fun.

aj

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie John View Post

Findin' 'em is half the fun.
    HA. That is either for people who are retired or ....retired.

Post Thanks / Like

I would continue to fish the coves. As long as they have food they'll be there.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dont forget this.........

Some fish are "home bodies". Some don't migrate, but tend to hold in a certain area year round. I have several "home body spots" I catch fish at almost year round. You find these spots on your lake and you don't come home with empty baskets. Takes time. I have had a lot of practice. I ain't no expert. I don't share these spots.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"