Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: worst place for a fish hook

Post Thanks / Like

Default worst place for a fish hook

What is the worst that you have been hooked or had someone hooked with a fish hook. Several years ago I got my older brother started fishing and we got a small boat and was out on a small pond when he tried to cast a lure and caught me between the legs and kept jerking the rod because it was hung up on something. (Ya someTHING) was right. It didn't take me long to figure what he was hooked on. He never let me forget it, and I never got in a boat with him again. Last year I took my Son-In-Law and grandson out for a little fishing trip. The Grandson likes to pet each fish that you catch, along with each minnow or nightcrawler that you use. Son-In-Law caught a nice fish and swung it in the boat and the grandson grabbed at it to pet it just as the fish came unhooked about a foot off of the floor of the boat. Needless to say he embedded the hook in his hand. I will say that I am getting pretty good at taking hooks out now. Last week I took my wife's sister (from Georgia) and her daughter and her 3 grandkids fishing. One of the boy's caught a nice little Bluegill and swung it in the boat and the other boy turned around with his fishing pole to look at the fish and the little girl run to the back of the boat to look at the fish and got the boy's fish hook in the mouth. The boy's were really into the fishing,but the girl wasn't into the fishing as much. She was more into going thru everything I had in the boat and when I saw her hang one of my more expensive rod and reels over the side of the boat and only hanging on the end guide, the trip ended pretty quick. I really enjoy taking kids fishing until they start messing with my equipment and then it is time to head for the dock.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I've hooked myself a few times but haven't had a client hook me yet. Guess the worst I've ever heard about is getting hooked in the lip and the nose. Just makes my eyes water thinking about it.

Almost set the hook on Jerry once, lol. Tightline a jig enough and the hookset on the slightest of ticks becomes an involuntary reaction. He did that today. While looking away, I accidentally tapped his rod tip with mine. He set the hook before his head turned back to the front. The wife says I set the hook in my sleep. Guess I'm dreaming of crappie fishing.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is going to doom me, but in roughly 31 years of being crazy
    about all things fishing, I have never been hooked past the barb... lots of
    close calls, some with blood, but not past the barb. Personally, hate to
    get 'em stuck under a fingernail or thumbnail. After saying this, better get
    ready for it :D One of my partners here in the shop was trying to pull a
    bandit out of about a 1/2 lb. smallmouth, with the fish encircled by his
    thumb and forefinger, fish cut loose flopping and squirted down, out of his
    hand, catching both sides with trebles, fish still flopping. Went to the ER
    for that one. On kids breaking stuff, its really good to take anything very
    dear to you out and leave it at home - though I don't always do this,
    and I'm sure will regret it someday. I have thought, while bream fishing
    with the kids, about mashing down or filing off the barbs, not for the fish
    but just in case for me/them! I usually forget to do it though, or don't take
    the time. I used to wreak havoc on a buddy I always fished with growing up,
    caught him in top of head with treble, twice, and conked him on head with
    a 2 ounce bank sinker too - he finally stayed out from my backswing zone
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

somehow or another, one night my son in law got a #4 gold aberdeen run up under the back of his thumbnail, in the center. you could see it laying up under his nail, to the bend of the hook. wanna go to the doc or want me to do it? i asked. he opted for me to remove it. so with a pair of vice grip needle nose pliars i got a good grip and told him i meant nothing personal by it and give it a good snatch. the hook come out and so did the rear of his thumbnail, which was then laying on top of the skin of his thumb at the rear it made a funny sound when the hook jerked out and ripped the back of his nail out.. he said the next time hes gonna let the doc remove it
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default grocery store parking lot

I used to carry my fishing poles with me in the back of my mini van. Kept them there all the time, just in case I got a chance to wet my line.
    They were laying down the side of the van with the handles to the back.

So, one day I go to the grocery store to run in and pick up something (don't remember what). I come back out and jump in the van and felt the worst pain in my arse that I've ever felt. I raised my butt up off the seat, yelping like a scalded dog. I couldn't get out of the van cuz the line wouldn't give, and I couldn't sit down cuz it hurt too bad. So, I sit there holding onto the steering wheel, raised up off the seat and panicking.
    Into the parking lot of the grocery store comes a friend. I start honking the horn like crazy and get her and everyone elses attention in the parking lot. She comes over to the van and I get the window down and start yelling at her to "get it out of my butt!" I thought she was going to wet her pants laughing at me while pulling that hook out (and not so gently I might add)

Live and learn..the handles ALWAYS go to the front. :D
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing a night bass tournament with a friend. He caught one about 2.5 lbs on a buzzbait. As he was grabbing it in the net it flopped and the trailer hook went into his thumb at the joint all the way till it hit the bone. Quickly I grabbed my Gerber tool and cut the hook at the eye. Blood was going everywhere. He calmed down a little and then we decided we should try to push the point back out. He bit a rag while I pushed as hard as I could with the pliers. Then he cussed real loud. That was when we realized it was against the bone. Then the a$$ that lived in the house that had the dock we caught the fish off of came outside and told us we couldn't fish his dock about that time, We both cussed him. This happened at about 8:30, Tment ended at 11:00. I got to fish from the front of the boat as he sat in the seat and watched. We ended up winning and then we took a trip to the hospital where I got to watch them take it out. At that point I thought it was awesome, you know him being my best friend and in so much pain (we're like that to each other). Funniest thing was when the doctor numbed it and then just sat back, Jason said "WHAT ARE YOU DOING", doc said: "Waiting on the maintenence man to bring me his pliers"
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trouble with trebles ...

let's see ..... those times I can remember:

Hooked a girlfriend between the eyes with a crankbait ... luckily nothing penetrated past the barbs.

Fishing with a couple of buds (brothers) ... had one brother snag the other in the head with a crankbait. I had to push the hook point/barb on out thru the scalp skin, mash the barb down, and retract the hook. The one, that snagged the other, is a bit squemish about such things.

Caught a small Hybrid Striper on a blade bait, and while trying to remove the hooks, it flopped ... stuck one of the hooks into my thumb, past the barb and under the thumbnail (from the side). No way to push the hook on thru the skin & cut/mash the barb. After removing the hook from the lure, I attempted to back the hook out of my thumb. No deal - the barb had snagged some muscle tissue. Well, I know how to use mono line to jerk an imbedded hook out ... I just can't seem to get it set up right, to do it that way. Oh yeah, I'm fishing with "squemish brother" ... so, no help forthcoming from him :rolleyes: ...LOL!! I finally decide on a plan of action -- I ice down the point of entry for several minutes, till the thumb is pretty numb, then grit my teeth and "pop" the hook on out. (I say "pop" the hook out, because that's the sound it made when the barb cut loose from whatever it was hung on) It bled a bit, then I wrapped a bandaid around it and went on fishing. Apparently I didn't do any nerve or tendon damage ... thumb is fine.

And as a matter of "public service" : always carry a First Aid Kit "in the boat" - and keep your Tetanus shots up to date !! ........ luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago, I was fishing for white bass below Kentucky Dam. Down the way a fellow was snagging and his better 3/4 was with him. When I say 3/4, I mean about 300 pounds of her. Well, to get into the story, he reared back to sling that big treble half way across the river . But, on the back stroke he hung his bigger half on her very generous derriere. ON the forward stroke, he generated so much force he lifted her a foot off of the ground. She fell on her rear, and with a torrent of the most foul mouthed language known to man, she berated her husband. I could not help it, being only fifteen years of age, I fell down laughing as hard and loud as I ever have in my life. The whole time my Dad was saying shut up son, she is big enough to whup both 0f us!

Post Thanks / Like

This may sound odd but one of the first memories I have was when my brother, now deceased, took me fishing. I must have been 4 or 5, after the trip, I recall having all these holes in my hands. I can only guess he believed that a fisherman should bait his own hook?
    Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet.

Chinese Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meat on the Table
    Many years ago, I was fishing for white bass below Kentucky Dam. Down the way a fellow was snagging and his better 3/4 was with him. When I say 3/4, I mean about 300 pounds of her. Well, to get into the story, he reared back to sling that big treble half way across the river . But, on the back stroke he hung his bigger half on her very generous derriere. ON the forward stroke, he generated so much force he lifted her a foot off of the ground. She fell on her rear, and with a torrent of the most foul mouthed language known to man, she berated her husband. I could not help it, being only fifteen years of age, I fell down laughing as hard and loud as I ever have in my life. The whole time my Dad was saying shut up son, she is big enough to whup both 0f us!
    On the snagging, we snag out of boats, sitting in the mouth of the spillway,
    and guys on both sides of the bank are doing the same, lots of 'em with
    12-15' surf rods, BIG trebles, and weights 3-4 oz. or more - gets kind of
    scary sometimes, esp. in the dark! One of my friends has went as far as
    to wear safety glasses while snagging on opening night, probably not a
    bad idea, though I haven't done it. I do keep a knife handy, just in case.
    If one of 'em ever hooks me, want to be able to cut that big line, some
    of 'em use 100lb+ dacron line still. Funniest sight you'll ever see, is when
    two of 'em on opposite banks hang each other's lines, and both think they've
    got a bigun! :D Then they figure it out, and agree to let one unhook, then
    find out the one letting out doesn't have enough line to reach the far bank...
    Last edited by J White; 08-26-2005 at 08:14 AM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast