Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Douglas lake and TWRA.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Douglas lake and TWRA.

Douglas has one of the most popular crappie fisheries in the state. It is located in Cocke, Hamblen, Jefferson, and Sevier Counties and covers 30,600 surface acres. The fishery was highly exploited in the 1980s when it was common to catch 200 or more crappie per day. The TWRC recently established a 10-inch minimum size limit with a daily creel of 15 fish to maintain the quality of the fishery and protect crappie until they reached spawning size.
    Crappie anglers fished approximately 160,000 hrs in the year 2000. They spent an estimated $379,390 which generated an overall economic impact of $811,895. There can be no questioning the importance of this fishery to the local community on both an economic and social level. Catches declined 74 percent between 1998 and 2000 due to poor reproduction and it appeared the fishery was in trouble. This prompted the TWRA to develop a recovery plan to address the problems facing this important fishery.

The plan includes:
    Encouraging the TVA to raise and hold water levels at full pool prior to April 1st, and provide minimal fluctuation of water levels throughout the spring and summer months with an official resolution.
    TWRA will raise about 150,000 white crappie in hatcheries for stocking in 2002.
    TWRA will improve the existing six-acre pond on Henderson Island to raise crappie fingerlings for direct release into Douglas.
    Work with the counties that surround Douglas to improve fish habitat. (It is difficult establish habitat improvement sites since most of the shoreline is privately owned and landowner permission is required before structures can be installed. Anyone interested in helping improve habitat on Douglas, particularly landowners, should call Doug Peterson (800-332-0900, Ext 114) to find out how they can help with this work)

This might be the reason I cant catch any crappie on Douglas lake , I guess I'll just go to Norris lake for now.
    Last edited by wannafish; 08-25-2005 at 12:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not just that lake but all TVA lakes. Watts Bar is held really low due to the upper lakes in the name of flood control. But it seems we still have flooding issues every year cause they bring the water up when there is a big storm coming thru then drop it back down after it came thru. Figure that our tax dollars at work. If someone can explain the TVA way of thinking I will put you in for a Noble Prize.

I know it gets pretty slim around here on Watts Bar and Chickamuga till they bring the water up. We could barely get on the water on the river last year till about mid to later April.

So I can feel your pains with TVA.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!