Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Raising engine???

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raising engine???

Can i raise my engine with a floor jack? Looks like I oughta be able to remove the 2 fixed bolts at top, loosen the 2 bolts at bottom and jack up the engine a notch. Is this doable? Or, will the mounting plate crack? I have no access to a chain hoist.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

any thing is doable but u might need help, someone to give the motor a gentl rock to keep it from binding up!
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Yessir, I've done that just like you said, just put a block 'o wood on the
    jack to cushion it a little, and watched it for binding up.

I have even heard of folks doing it using the tongue jack on the trailer,
    block up under the motor and raise/lower the front of trailer.
    But I belive I'd use the floor jack if I had the choice.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What is a good jack point? Looks like the anode should be strong enough for a jacking point.........

I am entering untested water here....:o
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

instead of using a jack I would rather go overhead with a heavy rachet strap, you can buy 1 for around 20 bucks

Post Thanks / Like

i have used the ratchet straps to remove my old evenrude 140 when i blew it up..and to put the 85 johnson back on... not sure about using a floor jack to raise it but i do know that if it busts thats a high dollar fix..... i would try a tree and a ratchet strap first.
    For the love of Kids and FISHING!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Canepole, I'm with the guys recommending lifting from above. You can do it with a floor jack if your bottom bolt holes are slotted, but I'd want to have a couple strong guys on each side of the motor to assist. Your Yammie should have a lifting eye on the motor, just go buy a cheap cable comealong and back her under a tree! harborfreight.com has a 1200# comealong for $12.99. Go to their website, they have 8 stores in TN, don't know if any are close to you. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to disagree with anyone on this but I've changed several large outboards off and on several boats and pontoons and its much safer and easier to hang a500lb. motor with a chain and then use the tounge jack to line up the wholes to the transom. I whish you were closer CP and I would come and help you with this. Good luck pawpawperch
    honey.'':o the weather is to bad to work in the yard so I think I'll go fishing''

Post Thanks / Like

Why raise it? We lowered ours. Learned the $4000 way that they are meant to run deep in water not much tilt needed.
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you need to raise your motor? What type of boat? I had raised the motor on my pontoon by removing upper bolts, loosen lower bolts, put a block under the lower unit and made the vertical adjustment with the dolly jack. After a sea trial I put it back because I now had prop blow out. If it is on a boat that requires sealing the bolts you need to remove the motor, clean out old sealant and put in new stuff. good luck Jerry