PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the toughest 4lb line?

crappie_dan
05-04-2009, 10:13 PM
I have been using Mr. Crappie hi vis and it breaks off way too easy. I want something that might have a chance of coming loose or straitin out the hook. I fish clear water so I dont want to use 6lb. Thanks

LSUguy
05-04-2009, 10:26 PM
P Line CXX 4# and 6# Hi Viz lines are the strongest i've used... used to use mr.crappie but I found the CXX to be twice as strong.

shipahoy41
05-05-2009, 07:40 AM
I have used Spider Wire for the last 20 years.

wharfrat
05-05-2009, 07:42 AM
I switched to Suffix hi vis with decent results. Used to use Mr. Crappie, but it has really gone down hill recently.

Mike Andrews
05-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Gamma Co-poly

http://www.gammafishing.com/fishing.cfm?product=968

According to Gamma the 4# tests at 8.5#'s. I can't vouch for that but I can tell you that I consistently straighten #4 sickles when I hang up using the 6#.....it's also limp with very little memory.

Good stuff!!

The Lip RIPPERS
05-05-2009, 08:45 AM
They dont make it anymore Varioptic 4# made in Germany, super tough. Try Spiderwire Supermono in 4# it's hard to find sometimes but really good. I hear the Vicious Panfish is also good, we cant get it here yet.

ga.crappie&breamguy
05-05-2009, 11:23 AM
i must have gotten a good spool of mr crappie #4. i havent had any break offs as of yet. i did get hung up the other but the leader broke before my line did.

wwwUncle
05-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Gamma Co-poly

Copolymer Line - Filler Spool (http://www.gammafishing.com/fishing.cfm?product=968)

According to Gamma the 4# tests at 8.5#'s. I can't vouch for that but I can tell you that I consistently straighten #4 sickles when I hang up using the 6#.....it's also limp with very little memory.

Good stuff!!

In my opinion, if "4#" line is breaking at 8.5#, it should be labeled as 8# line.

deathb4disco
05-05-2009, 12:16 PM
In my opinion, if "4#" line is breaking at 8.5#, it should be labeled as 8# line.

Agreed.

That's a big problem with line, IMO -- no consistency in labeling. One companies 8# is another company's 4# or 6#.

I ignore the breaking strength on the package and just go by line diameter. A true 4# line is around .17mm. Maxima and Spider Wire are the only ones I know of that sell line in this diameter and actually call it 4# line. Almost all the others' 4# line is .20mm or better.

crappie_dan
05-05-2009, 06:19 PM
It looks like there are many different opinions on line. I thought about trying the hi vis suffix but I have not seen any around here.

deathb4disco
05-05-2009, 06:21 PM
It looks like there are many different opinions on line.

That's the understatement of the year. If you need proof, search the archives for "line".

bc1448
05-05-2009, 07:08 PM
It looks like there are many different opinions on line. I thought about trying the hi vis suffix but I have not seen any around here.

I use the hivis suffix and I love it. I would recommend it to anyone.
Blake

foul hook
05-05-2009, 07:09 PM
If you are breaking that BP line as you say, you have a knot problem. the new BP line made in Taiwan has a lot of memory , but it is as tough as any 4# line you will find. Check your KNOT!

ALMRAZEK
05-05-2009, 07:25 PM
For Strength I Use Fireline Crystal With A Very Tiny Swivel And Berkley Flourocarbon For A Leader. This Works Very Well For Me And When I Do Break Off I Only Have To Replace The Leader Section. Hope This Helps.

SpeckWick
05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I've tried 'em all and always end up right back at Trilene XL. I change my line so often it's not worth buying that high dollar line. For some reason though, the last two spools of XL I've bought have been horrible for tangles and rats nests after making a few casts with it. Breaking strength isn't a big problem since I use mostly weedless jigs anyway, but managability is. I never had that problem before with Trilene. Anybody else seeing this issue?

sticko
05-05-2009, 08:35 PM
90 % of the pros use some kind of p-line

crappieseeker
05-05-2009, 09:45 PM
I will swear by the hi-vis gold stren 4lb line. I cant tell you how many big catfish and carp and buffalo i have landed on it. Here is a picture of one like i catch at times but have landed them bigger than that.

LSUguy
05-05-2009, 10:00 PM
90 % of the pros use some kind of p-line

I have used a ton of line over the years, braids, flouro's, monos... P-Line has little to no memory and the 6# flourescent yellow is the strongest in its class imo... no crappie is going to break it, and with the drag set correctly i've hauled in numerous large bass, catfish and carp. Plus fishing structure i'm usually able to either straigten the hook out or pull up the snag. 600 yards is only $15... which equates to around a little under $3 per spool.

IceWarriorGill
05-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Powerpro Braid 5# Mossgreen color (I know, technically not 4#--but this is really tough stuff)!! Couple of days ago pulled in a 15lbs, 26 inch Channel Catfish with no problems and the day before that pulled in a small log (approx 6 inch diameter, 4 ft long) that I accidentally caught on a foul hookset!! Definitely a great power line for fishing in brush or woody areas!!!

slipbobber
05-06-2009, 04:36 AM
I don't know which is the strongest but I'm with crappieseeker, I landed a carp just like his with 4# Stren Gold yesterday while crappie fishing a small local lake. Took awhile but it gotter done!

smoothlures
05-06-2009, 04:54 AM
You want a name brand co-polymer.

Sufix Tritanium Plus, Gamma, P-Line, ect.

Note that almost all lines overtest, you want to go by the diameter like Disco said.

crappieseeker
05-06-2009, 10:53 PM
slipbobber, i have landed a many of those on that line. I have caught them bigger than that. Catfish as well. I remember one night several years ago I stuck a big carp like that and he ran up the bank and into many bushes and i managed to finally battle him out of the brush and get him in on that line. Its a tough line no doubt. For 6lb line, the stren xtra strength is awesome, I believe you could towe a barge with that.

Crappiekiller3
05-06-2009, 11:08 PM
As the song goes "After all these years" I still use Trilene XL
in clear. I've never, ever had a problem with it and have caught some
pretty big hawgs over 15lbs with it. The only thing I do differently
today than 20 years ago is to use Kevin Van Dam's line conditioner.

Stinkfinger
05-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Here's a little tip for you guys putting new line on the reel. Use mink oil, the hard stuff in a can, the same stuff you use to waterproof your boots. Apply some to a dry washrag and hold the mink oil in the rag around your line as you spool it on the reel. My grandfather taught me this years ago and I will never forget the first time I tried it. Got all the line spooled on and grandpa said "giver a try!"

So, being 14 yrs old and wanting to impress my grandad, I rared back and swung as hard as I could and had line wrap around everything within 10 feet including me. Grandpa was still laughing as he walked in the house.

I never did forgive him for lying to me about using mink oil to make my reel cast better. I have never had such a horrific backlash in all my life.

But looking back on it, there was some wisdom in what granddad taught me that time. Real simple lesson; fishermen will try anything once and no doubt someone that didn't read this entire thread is on their way to buy some mink oil.:D

DMW1960
05-06-2009, 11:28 PM
I Have Tried Wally Marshalls Line And Every Other Line From Spider Wire To Bass Pro's Name Brand Stuff. I Don't Like The Spider Wire Because It Tears Up The Beds. First Off Set You Drag To 2 Pounds, Normally I Set My At 50% Of The Weight Of Line I Am Using. Then Go Get You Some P-line And Try It. A Buddy Of Mine Gave Me A 300 Yd Spood Of 4 Pound Last Year I Liked It So Much I Purchased A 3,000 Yard This Spring.

crappiepastor
05-21-2009, 09:05 AM
P-Line CXX Hi-Vis is very hard to find. I went directly to the company and had difficulty getting it in a 6lb. test. I've switchedto Viscous and am very happy with it - but there is some line memory.

Fatman
05-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Been looking at Shimano reels and see two models made only in Japan the Elf and the Nasci, and in the ebay store is a line called Sunline basic FC 5lb test.

they also have a sunfire BMS FC SNIPER 3LB/100m. I might get dumb and try some but I really like those reels in ultralite.

The elf

SHIMANO ELF 1000S : JAPAN - eBay (item 380085478478 end time May-26-09 21:23:52 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIMANO-ELF-1000S-JAPAN_W0QQitemZ380085478478QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item587edc244e&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30)

The Nasci

SHIMANO NASCI 2500 : JAPAN - eBay (item 380085481897 end time May-26-09 21:54:36 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIMANO-NASCI-2500-JAPAN_W0QQitemZ380085481897QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item587edc31a9&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30)

Just read on Shimano's site where they purchased the PowerPro Line company
Fatman

deathb4disco
05-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Been looking at Shimano reels and see two models made only in Japan the Elf and the Nasci

Yeah, the stuff they sell over there is sweet. It's definitely a couple of notches over the gear sold here.

Check out this website to compare:

Japan Tackle Shop, Specialty tackle from Japan, We specialized in Japan Domestic Models of Shimano and Daiwa reels and tuning parts. Daiwa Saltiga, Daiwa Zillion, Steez, TD-ito Shimano Metanium, Stella, Scorpion, Antares, Aldebaran, ZPI carbon handle (http://www.japantackle.com)

speckfinder
05-21-2009, 06:18 PM
stren original

hunt4crappie
05-21-2009, 07:11 PM
I tried the P-line cxx and had nothing but trouble. Too much memory. I went back to Trilene and am very satisfied. The line is tough and does not hold memory. Notice I did not specify which Trilene. That is because I have used several and the results have always been good. If I had to be pinned down as to which Trilene I thought was best overall I would have to say the Sensation. It has low memory, low stretch and is very strong.

fish_4_all
05-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Find a line you like and will catch fish. If the water is clear find a line that disappears in it and use small terminal tackle.

I have fished for too many years and have caught even the spookiest line shy fish on 20# test. A true clear in clear water, a blue in blue water, etc.etc.etc...

If I can get a steelhead to hit on 20# test and they will part the water for 6# test in the wrong color it tells me one thing. Get the right line color and forget about the # test of the line. Yah it does matter some but not as much as the color and quality of the line.

Oh and line diameter and breaking strength matter a lot in one specific situation, if you want IGFA records, you need to know the break strength of your line. I know of 7 records that were not because the line they used said 12# test but tested at 17#. And that was just locally, I have heard of 100's that were thought to be records but were not because of breaking strength issues.

buffalo13
05-21-2009, 07:50 PM
I've been using Wally Marshall 4#. Caught an 8 lb. cat on it the other day.
It seems to hold up well to wear also.

fish_4_all
05-21-2009, 08:55 PM
If you are fishing a lot of brush and cover, will the fish care if it is braided or not? I might even think that a camo braid or a dark braid would blend in with the limbs, brush and rocks well and look pretty natural. All the fish will see is another limb with light light reflection or effects of any kind.

Barnacle Bill
05-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Here are a few that were tested by Panman. We also did a visability test and Sufix Hi Vis Yellow came out on top. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/virginia-crappie-fishing/48930-4-pound-test-line-comparison.html

GRIZZ
05-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Pline is very strong, but has other problems. I would have said Sufix Promix, but it's of the market. That leaves Gamma. Hands down the best line right now.

Don G
05-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Crappie fishing with braid...:D:D..I am a finesse crappie fisherman...Don't want to pull brush from under the docks I fish or the brush in deeper water that I cast to or jig...

Like a lot of folks have said; I have tried them all. I use Sufix 4# Hi-vis yellow..I have tried GRIZZ'S Gamma & like it but can't find it in Hi-Vis...:(

I guess having braid in your boat would come in handy if you have to tow someone...:eek:

J White
05-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Agreed.

That's a big problem with line, IMO -- no consistency in labeling. One companies 8# is another company's 4# or 6#.

I ignore the breaking strength on the package and just go by line diameter. A true 4# line is around .17mm. Maxima and Spider Wire are the only ones I know of that sell line in this diameter and actually call it 4# line. Almost all the others' 4# line is .20mm or better.

I agree. You beat me to it. :) I evaluate line mainly by diameter,
then how it suits what I'm doing with it - memory, abrasion resistance, stretchiness, etc.
Some applications like my cb trolling, I'm willing to trade off stiffness for
better abrasion properties, small diameter, and low stretch. I use
Vanish floro in .012 diameter. It is CALLED 12 lb test, but is smaller than
the 10 lb Trilene XT that the precision trolling depth charts are based on.
Actual breaking strength, who knows. Probably less than some other
advertised 12 lb lines, but it's just right for me.
Use it for leaders on most other stuff too, like when I'm using powerpro
for a main line. But if I'm casting, particularly something light, I'll go
with a regular mono. Clear Trilene XL usually, even though I realize
there are probably better lines. I just know it works for me, and it's fairly
inexpensive. My casting rods only get occasional, seasonal use, so it
doesn't bother me as bad to spool with it, knowing I may only fish a couple
or three times with that rod then it will lay in the rod box or hang on the
wall for another year.

hawkman
05-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Yeah, the stuff they sell over there is sweet. It's definitely a couple of notches over the gear sold here.

Check out this website to compare:

Japan Tackle Shop, Specialty tackle from Japan, We specialized in Japan Domestic Models of Shimano and Daiwa reels and tuning parts. Daiwa Saltiga, Daiwa Zillion, Steez, TD-ito Shimano Metanium, Stella, Scorpion, Antares, Aldebaran, ZPI carbon handle (http://www.japantackle.com)

...but what can they possibly do to a spinning reel to make it worth $800-$1200? I read the description & understand it is for heavy saltwater fishing, but still, that is unbelievable.

Shimano Stella (http://www.japantackle.com/Shimano/Shimano_StellaSW08.htm)