PDA

View Full Version : Boat cleaning after use?

sparky197
05-04-2009, 06:46 PM
I have noticed guys wiping down their fiberglass boats when they pull them out of the water. Everyone of them has a spray bottle of some sort and a white rag. Are they using some sort of cleaner, a spray wax, detailer, or a combo. I have a white boat and anything I can do to keep it cleaner and keep the suns rays from yellowing it would be a plus. Give me your opinions.

SkeeterJeff
05-04-2009, 06:50 PM
It's called "Bass Boat Saver" and works very well. The guys on BassBoatCentral.com rave about it. It can be found at http://www.bassboatsaver.com/ along with dealer information.

Jeff

wasabi
05-04-2009, 06:51 PM
ehhh, no.

jhef
05-04-2009, 09:01 PM
ehhh, no.

i was wondering same thing, what ya mean by ehh noo? bass boat saver not a good idea or what ? thanks

TAE73
05-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Bassboatsaver the best stuff on the market for glass boats! I have a white boat, and the scum line comes right off and no yellowing. Been using that stuff for 4 years now.

yikess
05-04-2009, 11:07 PM
+1 on the BBS. The scum line wipes right off.

Mean Green 2
05-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Windex (?SP) works great for me cheep and easy.

Scrapper
05-05-2009, 09:39 AM
The thing with BBS is that you can spray it on EVERYTHING...and has UV inhibitors. Many cleaners will wash your wax or protectants off. If you use BBS you will not have a scum line. You can also use it on your vehicles...works great. I spray it on everything in my old Ranger.

sparky197
05-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks guys its on order, I noticed that after I waxed and cleaned with the meguiars combo the next time out my line was worse. I think it peeled me wax off.

Fishawk
05-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Another tip that some of you guys may already know about is........when ever you get those water spots, especially on your black mercury crowls, distilled white vinegar takes em right off. Just put a little bit on a sponge and rub the area then just wash the spots away. Works great on the lower unit too.

zappaf19
05-06-2009, 07:38 AM
For water spots on my dark blue Yammaha I use scrubbing bubbles. Scum line I wipe it off with a damp towel as soon as I come out of the water.

Wannabe...
05-06-2009, 10:08 AM
According to BBC, BBS saves the environment, adds 3 miles per hour to your boat while getting 2 additional miles to the gallon, will whiten your teeth and freshen your breath, has been known to regrow kidneys, ensures the best tomato plants you've ever seen and makes an excellent deodorant. :)

Everyone who uses it raves about it to say the least.

Wannabe...

tocoldtorace
05-06-2009, 02:34 PM
could you use the BBS on a gelcoat. we wipe our MC off after every trip and would love to be able to help keep it clean.

fished-out
05-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Another tip that some of you guys may already know about is........when ever you get those water spots, especially on your black mercury crowls, distilled white vinegar takes em right off. Just put a little bit on a sponge and rub the area then just wash the spots away. Works great on the lower unit too.

Lime away works too. Also works on sonar displays. Just make sure you dilute it like the directions say.

Rowdy
05-06-2009, 03:26 PM
I use lemon Pledge!!! We used it on our road tractors at work and the Bugs dont stick!!
Rowdy

Wannabe...
05-06-2009, 03:39 PM
BBS is designed for Gelcoat tocoldtorace, but is safe on all surfaces of a boat. Has some waxing ability and helps the surface to shed water, therefore making stuff like scum easier to remove.

To those using pledge/windex, you might want to check with your manufacturer on that. I now for a fact that Basscat recommends not using pledge. And windex will strip away wax leaving the gelcoat unprotected with a coat of wax, which in turn will promote oxidation. I know it works like a charm for a spit shine, but I'd be leary of anything not designed for fiberglass on my boat. You're better off with BBS or something like it for everyday clean up inbetween waxes.

Wannabe...

rdant
05-06-2009, 05:41 PM
The best thing I've found is Star Brite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF. Put one coat on, wait 30 days and put a second on. Water shed off the boat and no scum line. Nice shine also. Got it at wal-mart.