Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Twain post trip report.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mark Twain post trip report.

With my usual 'spot-on' timing - I caught it exactly wrong, but my work buds and I had the trip planned, reservations made and we gave it a shot anyway.

Here's what the lake did....
    level change
    05/03/2009 621.17 +1.91
    05/02/2009 619.26 +4.25
    05/01/2009 615.01 +3.14
    04/30/2009 611.87 +2.16
    04/29/2009 609.71 +2.42

A rise like that does not = good fishing. We got blanked Wed nite and Friday - but Thur was decent weather wise and I managed to put 8 pretty good crappie in the boat. No small fish - everything between 10 and 12 - but just not many of them. My buds managed two crappie and one 18" bass.

They fished minnows and I was only using jigs, so score one for the jig guys!. Pattern (such as it was) was mid-way back in the arms (big and little Indian were the best for us) and fishing 6' down over 20-25' of water.

Very far back in the coves was super dirty and lotsa trash. Warmer water tho - as we got 60-63 in the backs of the arms and coves and 58-61 at mid-way back to the main lake.

from the guys I talked to on the water and the ramp (and the DNR gal) - I don't think anybody's tearing them up.

Oh - and found out that my one set of rain gear has served it's last duty. I shoulda known to go with the vinyl stuff when I KNEW it was gonna rain.... So I got soaked on Friday as well.

yee - ha!

Ya'll take care! Hope Philput found a better pattern and scored some fish.

See ya on the water...

-Rat

Post Thanks / Like

Rat,
    Thanks for the post. We are heading over this weekend, do yo think it will improve if the water quits rising? Are the fish ready to spawn?

Post Thanks / Like

Put a trolling plate on my little Bass Tracker boat and wanted to get it in the water so I ran up to Mark Twain Sun. morning. When I passed over the Southfork bridge there was literally trash from bank to bank so thick I don't think you could have gotten a boat through it to get from the ramp to the bridge. Stopped in at Southfork Resort and bought some minnows and was told that 107 ramp should be cleaner. It was. Got launched with no problem and messed around with the trolling plate for a while then headed up one of the nearby coves. I found same temps. as RiverRat. Water was like chocolate milk. Fished for about 2 hrs. Caught one 10" crappie under a slip bobber right on the bank about half way back in the creek and went home.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default spawning...

the few females we caught were not anywhere close to being ready to spawn. So I guess if there's good news it's that we should be able to catch spawning fish for some time now (hopefully, when the water clears up a bit)

-Rat

Post Thanks / Like

Default my report

put in at pigeons roost, fished for about an hour, water was chocolate milk, never got a bite and didnt see anyone catch a fish. talked to 2 boats at the ramp, one caught 2 crappie and the other got blanked.

Post Thanks / Like

Had reservations at a campground at LOZ, but given the miserable weather forecast down there, I decided to take the kids up to M.Twain instead (and at least stay dry).

We put in at 7:30 Saturday, fished all kinds of different patterns, all over the eastern end of the lake and hit most of my favorite spots, with nary a nibble, even where where found warmer water. From the folks I talked to, nobody else was catching anything either. Saturday afternoon there was a small crappie tourney doing the weigh-in in the parking lot, at the takes were VERY minimal. Pretty sad seeing a stringer of 5 fish, none of which were longer than your hand!

Fished below the dam for about 1.5hrs late in the day, and caught a pair of really small ones, but nothing to get excited about.

Sunday, we put in at Southfork, fished about 3hrs (all kinds of patterns again), without a nibble.

All in all, the kids had a great "camping" weekend, and hopefully next time we'll turn it into a "fishing" weekend!

Oh well, can't win 'em all!
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Post Thanks / Like

Default You guys are making me feel better

We fished a few hours on Saturday and only had two fish both caught by my 8 year old daughter. She had a great day and it was nice to get out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default North of I-70

Sounds like a pattern north of I-70
    Nice weather very few fish
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

Default MTL This weekend

Anybody here anything about the current condions and water clarity at Twain? It has had a couple days to clear up, but the water is dropping. Are they getting close to thinking about spawning anyway. I'm heading there Saturday regardless, anybody else? I love a challenge!

Post Thanks / Like

T T T

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast