Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rain wear? and mask?

Post Thanks / Like

Default rain wear? and mask?

fished a local bass tourny today , and it poured on us all day, needless to say with my frog toggs on i was still soaked from head to toe, couldnt see cause of rain coming in,
    im looking at the fish hedz anybody use this? it looks a little goofy but heck if it works, also any good recommendations on a good rain suit thats not hot and completely water proof? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

And I thought frog toggs where the thig to have out there fishing , did the rain soak through or was the wind blowing it in the hood and face opening? Was thinking of buying a pair now not so sure

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta buy a new rainsuit myself. You know..."May showers..."

aj

Post Thanks / Like

I've done a lot of things in the rain, and have yet to find anything you wear to keep you dry short of a wet suit. The major problems with most "wet-weather gear" is two things. One they dont breath enough and you get soaked from your own sweat. Two, the rain enters through your neck, wrists, and ankles, or three the water proof material is so thin the rain soaks throughor is forced through due to a hard rain.

Honestly I feel the best option is a wide brimmed water proof hat. It will keep the water off your head/face, unless you fish into the wind. Keeping your head dry is half the battle. Then wear clothing to keep you warm when wet. Don't wear any cotton. Cotton kills. Cotton absorbs water like a sponge and takes forever to dry, plus when cotton is wet it retains no heat. Cotton is excellent to cool the body, which is perfect if you want to cool off on a hot summer day. But sucks if your trying to stay dry and warm. Wool is an excellent choice for the budget minded. It may get wet, however it also retains heat.

If you dont want to get wet, your best option is to stay out of the rain. Bimi top, umbrealla. I know, I know, its not manly to fish under a bimi top or umbrella. I got no problem using an umbrella. :D

My preferred attire for wet weather? Depends on the season/temperature.
    I gather your worried about 50-70 degree range.
    3" wide brimmed hat, synthetic long sleeve shirt (base layer), synthetic shirt (t-shirt style), and a fleece jacket with hand pockets.
    Silk skivies or no skivies, synthetic pants with liner or base layer and exterior layer like you did on the shirts, wool/synthetic blend socks and shoes.
    I like to wear a poncho, long poncho. The longer the better. Keep your arms below elbow level, side cast, and have fun. Oh and bring hot cocoa, or coffee and a change of clothes. Your going to get wet, either from sweat or from the rain, but your going to get wet. Stay warm and the wet isn't so bad. Once your out of the rain, change into dry clothes. Watch your body and know the symptoms of hyperthermia. It strikse most in 50-70 degrees.
    Last edited by Hanr3; 05-04-2009 at 12:44 AM.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well through two past experiences this season I've become somewhat of an expert on this discussion. First of all, I've had a set of Frog Toggs and have never been impressed with them. Got soaked the first time I wore them and split the crotch out of the pants stepping from the boat onto the dock.

In February we went to Lake Weiss and fished all day in torrentail rains. I had two rains suits in the boat. One was an old pvc rainsuit the other was supposed to be this new high-tech cloth style camoflauged suit that claimed to be a rain suit. Needless to say, I got soaked in both.

I made up my mind I was going to find a rain suit that actually kept you dry. I believe I finally found one. It's an H20 suit from Gander Mountain which consists of bibs and jacket. I fished in it all day long this past Friday on Kentucky Lake in downpours of rain. At the end of the day back at the ramp, my clothes underneath were completly dry. Finally a rainsuit I can trust to keep me dry. Only problem is the price. I'm sure there are others out there just as good, but I can recommend this one first hand.

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro rain suite. Have had mine for several years and have fished in frog chocking rain and stayed dry. Pricey but well worth the investment.
    You can't finish what you don't start

Post Thanks / Like

The Save Phace facemasks from Bass Pro work very well. It's some of the best money I've ever spent. I wear it even if it isn't raining, just to keep wind out of my face when I have the boat on plane. They have some pretty nice "artwork" on these masks as well. IE: Skeleton face, Snake skin, etc...
    Fishin' is cheaper than a psychiatrist.

Post Thanks / Like

Cabela's Guidewear. I keep Frogg Toggs in my boat all the time. Just have to be careful not to get in a bind---they do rip pretty easily.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    The Save Phace facemasks from Bass Pro work very well. It's some of the best money I've ever spent. I wear it even if it isn't raining, just to keep wind out of my face when I have the boat on plane. They have some pretty nice "artwork" on these masks as well. IE: Skeleton face, Snake skin, etc...
    Save Phace also good for keeping Springtime bugs out of your eyes...

Can't beat Cabelas Guidewear.......
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I have had just about every kind of rain gear made and the very best I have used is the 100mph rain suits from Bass Pro. They are about $520.00 but they are worth every penny.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast