Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Info please

Post Thanks / Like

Question Info please

Hey NY, my home state of record (military). I am heading that way the first week of June and would like some info on fising for Crappie (strawberry bass) in the Seneca River. I have never fished this system but I see lots of good reports from you all on it. I am fimiliar with the Cayuga/Montazuma area and have fished there and I think there is a portion of the river which crosses near it??? At any rate please advice me on the most productive area to fish during late may/early june. Thanks

I'll be in Rochester, so any reports from that area will be greatly appreciated as well.

How is the water temp up that way? It has been a strange start down here in Virginia as the weather has been doing a roller coaster (up/down), which has affected the fishing... seems to be stabalizing now.

Looking forward to the trip up and fishing with my Father and Brother...Thanks again for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Seneca River is supposed to have lots of crappie. One member here caught a ton of them near Plainville here a couple weeks back. The weather here has been screwy too. Water temps up and down.

I think you'd be OK hitting the Seneca between Montezuma and Mosquito point (Haiti Island). Any bridge abutments, or back waters around islands can be good. Look for submerged wood too.

For launcing, there's one in Montezuma, almost across the road from the refuge main entrance. I've never used it, so don't know how good it is. There's another DEC launch on Rte 38, north of Port Byron. That one is a Concrete ramp and has a dock.

Late May to early June, I'd expect them to be in a post spawn pattern, working into a summer pattern.

For Rochester info, you might want to join up at WayneCountyBass . Yes, it says "bass" in the name, but the gang fishes for everything, and the membership is pretty much geographically centered on the Rochester area. A good place to hang out to talk about local fishing.

Good luck when you get up here, and thank you for serving our country.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply and info Joe. I will take your advice and check out the bass club site.

It is my honor to serve, but thank you (all) for the support.

Johnny

Post Thanks / Like

Did 6 years in the Navy - half a lifetime ago. You guys today got it tougher than us old "cold war" fellers did. More deployments, combat duty, etc and so on. That's why it's easy for me to appreciate y'all and to say thank you!

Good luck hunting down the crappie when you get up here!

Post Thanks / Like

Navy is good, but Coast Guard is better!!!

28 Years and trying to hold on for 30.

Joe, the service has not changed much. B.S is still B.S. and we take it and say Aye...Aye (of course we must love it to stay in), I'll be you know what BOHICA stands for...see things have not changed.

Thank you for Your service time Joe.

Johnny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L2Fsh View Post
    Navy is good, but Coast Guard is better!!!

28 Years and trying to hold on for 30.

Joe, the service has not changed much. B.S is still B.S. and we take it and say Aye...Aye (of course we must love it to stay in), I'll be you know what BOHICA stands for...see things have not changed.

Thank you for Your service time Joe.

Johnny
    LOL!!!!! BOHICA!!!!!! I forgot about that one! We used to joke about "puddle-pirates" (Coasties), back in the day. the joke was about the CG having a 6' minimum height requirement so if the ship goes down, the crew can touch bottom and walk to shore. All kidding aside, the CG does a great job - keep it up and enjoy retirement when you hit the big three-oh!!!!

You guys are now under DHS, right? Used to be DOT, I believe. I know that we had Coasties in Sonar School, learning minesweeper sonar.