Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question for the trollers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for the trollers

Do any of you use planer boards when you are trolling out the back of the boat?? I know with the use of planer boards you can fan out your lines across the back of the boat. To cover a larger mount of water, just curious if you do.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    Do any of you use planer boards when you are trolling out the back of the boat?? I know with the use of planer boards you can fan out your lines across the back of the boat. To cover a larger mount of water, just curious if you do.
    I haven't ever used them, I only have about a 1 ft space between my lines and rods most of the time. When we troll 16 rods, there is not more than 1 ft between them. If we are at lakes that restrict the number of rods, obviously we can space them farther apart.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

tae73 I use planer boards from time to time. If I am fishing for crappies that are easily spooked I will troll my crappie mini brella's away from the boat with small planer boards the big offshore brand I think are to large if you are in 8 ft or shallower water. If you troll with umbrella rigs you will increase your # of jigs from 5 to 9 times.(so fish just 8 rods and you have from 40 jigs to 72jigs in the water at one time but only up to 2 hooks per rig

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, been using them for about a year and a half now, any specific
    questions, fire away! I use the Offshore brand with the "Tattle-Flag"
    option, so you can tell if you are towing a dink - without them, you don't
    know it till he gives up the ghost and starts rolling on top. If the water is
    rough, even that is easy to miss. Some days, in deep water, strikes are
    evenly spread between the boards and the two I usually run straight off
    the corners of the boat, but some days have seen 5-to-1 more on the
    boards. I guess some days they don't like that Honda in their ear
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, wasnt sure if anyone would use them or not. I saw these on Cabelas for 13 bucks they dont have the popup flag. They are for lightweight tackle and fish.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...397&hasJS=true

I have never used a planer board but I do have some questions, do have to pull the boards with a heavier line and rod or do u pull them by attatching with your fishing line and a single rod. Also I guess when a fish hits the lure it will pop off the planner board correct??? I have done some browsing on the walleye message boards on how they do it so I have some idea just not all the way.
    Last edited by TAE73; 08-23-2005 at 01:08 PM.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at those on the link, think they would work great if you were using
    them for slower speeds, calmer water, with jigs or live-bait rigs. As for
    crankbaits, the big yellow offshores are about perfect, any smaller and
    I'm afraid they wouldn't work right. There are two seperate categories
    of planers, big ones that run off a heavy line and boat mounted mast/reel,
    you attach your fishing line to the main line with release clips, pops loose
    when fish hits. What I use are "in-line" planers, attach straight to your
    fishing line. Takes at least medium bass type tackle, in my exp./opinion.
    Offshore instructions that come with, (good) explain two ways of rigging,
    one, when fish hits, a release clip pops loose, and the board slides down
    your line until it is stopped by a bead and swivel, so as to keep it from
    knocking the fish in the head the other way, they said was preferred by
    walleye fishermen, (the one I use) line is held in two release clips, you
    reel in till it gets to the boat, and stop, take it off and lay it down, then reel
    fish in. Crappie hit so light, compared to Stripes or Salmon, if you had a
    light enough release so the fish could pop it loose, it would not hold against
    the pull of the boat, wave action, etc. After you get the routine down, it
    goes smooth - while I'm unclipping the board, my daughter slowly walks
    backwards towards the bow, keeping the line tight.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Default planer boards

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    yes I use them , but not as much for crappie as for other larger game fish.A good one to try is the willie sideliner, it is adjustable to either port or starboaerd, they track pretty good, and wont set you back an arm and leg.They have the tattle flag, but the few crappie I have caught using them hardly ever trip it, the fish just pulls the board back.

Post Thanks / Like

The planer boards I got from Cabela's or BPS (don’t remember which - been I while since I got them) are the smaller type and they don't work well with deep diving crank baits like Bandit 300s if you're going over 2-mph, which I usually do trolling for bass, walleye and the occasional crappie. But for live bait, jigs and/or a slower presentation they do fine.

I would think the mini umbrellas would create too much drag for the smaller boards at higher speeds but I’ve not seen them in action. I know the umbrella rigs they use for stripers create a hell of a drag.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com