Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught a few at Belews

Post Thanks / Like

Default Caught a few at Belews

Went this morning before the skiers got there and caught a few crappies at Belews Creek - got 8 between 1/2 & 3/4 pounds - caught 2 cats about 2 lbs
    got a bunch of tater chips and some small shell crackers - never had much luck there before - wanted to fish and did not have much time and it is close to the house.
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad ya got some crap-king. Did you get a read on the water temp?
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi crap-king. I live pretty close to Belews myself, although I have never fished there. I usually dont care to fight the skiers and jet skis.

Where did you find the fish? Deep water, on structure, etc? Trolling or tightlining?

As it gets cooler, the lake crowd will drop off, and I'd sure like to find some crappies on Belews this fall. Any info. you might have would help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Belews

Mosy of these I caught were over towards US158 - I drifted along where ever I saw some rip-rap on the banks just dropping a minnow over the rocks with a split shot about 12 inches above the hook - the water drops off the bank pretty quick and was anywhere from 8 to 14 ft deep - I was trying drop my minnow where the rocks were under the water - the water temp was about 82 of course this is all the way across the lake from the steam station where the water is so hot - it is my understanding in the winter months the bridge at US65 is good spot - even in December the water will still be around 65 to 70 degrees on that side of the lake
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Did you put in at Piney Grove Boat Access or Pine Hall?

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see there are some folks on this site that fish Belews. I live 1 mile from the Piney Bluff ramp and as soon as the crowds put their boats up for the winter, I will start targeting the area. I have to drive a few miles for minnows but thats no problem. There is a good article in March '04 NC Sportsman mag called "A fish for all seasons" by Craig Holt and talks about Bill Shular of Greensboro who catches stringers of barn doors on Belews in the dead of winter. I can't wait to get out there and find 'em. I have been out there on a scouting mission, found water up to 90' deep and the surface temps were 93 degrees in July.
    Last edited by crappiejoe; 09-09-2004 at 06:16 AM. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiejoe, I live in Walkertown, about 10 minutes from the Piney boat access. Like you said, it is hard to do much fishing during he summer months, but I'm expecting to get out there this winter as well. Keep us posted, I'd really like to find some fish so close to the house.

Also, any of you fellas done any fishing on Salem Lake?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys been out of town for a while - I put in at piney bluff as well - there is a Deputy there most of the time - always on the weekends - Pine Hall is kind of secluded and there use to be alot of folks hanging around dinking and smoking dope - use to be a Stokes Co. Deputy - use to answer a lot of calls at that boat landing - it was closed at one time i did not even know if it was still open or not - I have not been on the lake but twice in last 5 years - I read that same article and that is what got me wanting to check it out - when I was there I got there before daylight and it was overcast so water was cooler but still real warm - by 9:00 a.m. the bite was over - I might try again next month most of ther skiers should be gone by then - the hard core ones will still be there on the week end because of the warm water

Post Thanks / Like

Chris and Crap-king, are you folks night fishers? I'll post after each trip and look forward to hearing how you did.

Chris- I heard Salem Lake has some crappie, butI havent' been there. Given the choice I would rather fish Belews-its closer and I can spend more time reading the fish finder and targeting those hot spots. I would also like to "plant" a brush pile of my own out there this winter.

Post Thanks / Like

I havent done any night fishing on Belews, but I may soon try it. There are some big catfish in the lake for sure.

I plan on putting some pallets out this winter, and seeing if I can attract some crappies to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast