Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Roanoke River 4-30

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roanoke River 4-30

Cold and damp this morning,55 degrees ,misting rain and boy was I glad to have a couple rainsuits,I wore mine all day.The bite was real good till about 10;00 for me then slowed way down.Caught a lot more of keeper sized fish today than we did tuesday. Used up around 100 live baits ,and also caught some on cut bait.Like enoman said,no wardens at the landing when we left at 2:00..Heres a rod bending action shot.I brought the boat back home today,so I guess this is my last weldon trip.,till next year.
    HEY,,WATCH THAT YELLOW ROD

Post Thanks / Like

what kinda fish was that i kno it wasnt a crappie or a bass kind looks like a channel cat from the white flash and the size sinker ur usin
    If you can't fish with the big boys, keep it on the trailor

Post Thanks / Like

is there any good bank fishing at roanoke???? is that still in nc or va???? never been there before but with all this actions going on i might have to make a trip soon. what are they biting on right now??? artificial or bait??? thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Next year, I hope. Thanks for the photos and reports.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lunatics704 View Post
    is there any good bank fishing at roanoke???? is that still in nc or va???? never been there before but with all this actions going on i might have to make a trip soon. what are they biting on right now??? artificial or bait??? thanks.
    its in NC/easy to find

spend the $ an hire a guide, its not worth the trip for bank fishing, its pretty limited, but its world class fishing with a boat, your best bet would be to follow the fleet (first time there),
    a c-rigged large minnow is best for bait, (bring em with ya)
    or work the edges with artificials, get it down an you'll hook up,
    with a fly rod, 350gr line, with a short 17lb leader 3/4foot long,
    any clouser/fly around 3in with flash is deadly on em, (short fast strips)

you can drift or anchor, or even tie off to a tree branch, depends on the flow release,

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 02080500 ROANOKE RIVER AT ROANOKE RAPIDS, NC

you wont have to worry about rocks to much with this flow,
    under 5000 is a bit dangerous, but below the ramp is safe even with that flow.

the best area's are 1/2mi up or down river from the water plant,

top water action is best around the 2nd week of May,
    incredable site seeing all those fish coming up to spawn.
    its worth the trip if ya do your research.
    stay safe
    steve

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission Under the Features section, click on the Roanoke River report. You can't keep any fish now--the season is over, but you can still catch them. Typically the first two weeks of May are the best fishing and you can catch them till your arms ache. I wasn't able to make it up there this year, but I have some fond memories of the Roanoke River.

Post Thanks / Like

don't forget barbless hooks and if you use lures only one, single, barbless hook. Spawn has started so you may be able to get some on topwater lures.