Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Never knew that fish yawned, did you?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Never knew that fish yawned, did you?

Was reading something the other day where it stated that fish yawn. Sounds silly, but I have never heard of this. I wonder if they do it when you return them to the water after being reeled in, I guess they are worn out from the fight by then.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Seeker:

Hell yeah, they yawn! That's how we catch them this time of year. Wait for ole papermouth to give a big yawn and drop the hook in his mouth!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thats about the truth

Post Thanks / Like

Only got to go out for a couple of hours Sunday. Didn't get on the water till about 10:30. Caught a couple throwbacks on the first few stops then I stopped at one of my deeper tops. No hits right away then I got a good solid hit on my Pink/Chart. Superjig. Pulled up a good 1 1/4 lb. slab off of the shallow end of my top,(about 12 feet deep).

I jigged my top as throughly as I could with the sweat running into my eyes but only caught 1 more throwback. I started thinking about that big recliner sitting in that cold a/c and started packing up.

I opened up the livewell and pulled out that nice slab. As I was admiring the size and color of this summertime trophy I swear I think it made eye contact with me (probably the sun).

I looked that slab crappie in the eye and said buddy this is your lucky day.I gently moved it back and forth in the lake until it swam back down to the brushpile below.

I smiled as I headed back up the lake to the truck knowing that big slab will continue gorging on all those shad and if I'm lucky this winter he might just remember where that old deep brushpile was at!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Yep ... most all fish "yawn"

At one time or another, I've had Bluegill, Bass, Crappie, Warmouth, and a Channel Cat in my aquarium ... I've observed all of them giving a big yawn, on occasion. .... LOL!! ..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah most my aquarium fish yawn as well (crappie, bass, bowfin, flathead catfish). Looks like they are stretching their mouths to keep them nice and limber for strikes.

~Fishin' Magician~

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like I read somewhere that when they start to yawn it means they are about to feed. Don't remember where I read that or saw it in a video.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Sure fish yawn, check my avatar. I've even seen 'em pee and fart in an aquarium (though not at the same time. ) My old Oscar used to have some sort flatulance problem. Must have been the cheap minnows.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin