Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ky Lake last week

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ky Lake last week

Went to Ky Lake last week and fished Wed through Saturday, returned Sunday. Mostly it was pretty a pretty tough crappie bite.
    The water was as high as I've ever fished it. We had high winds Friday and Saturday so we found a few places to hide out of the wind.

We did find some crappie shallow, and they pretty thick in some places but most were small males. I don't think anyone else did much better than we did. In fact one of the locals (Wiskers on the KY board) posted he didn't do any good last week. I think the biggest fish in our group was 14". We did find some fish on a drop-off in 11'-15' with scattered wood. We really had to sort through them to get some keepers.

One thing different at Ky Lake is even if the crappie aren't hitting, it seems something else is hitting. If you like catching big bluegill, that lake sure has an abundance of them. By big I mean the ones that are hard to get your hand around to take off the hook.
    There must have been a major bass explosion on that lake. I think some days we caught at least 50 bass 8" to 14" (and bigger) while fishing for crappie. We would quit fishing certain areas "cause the bass wouldn't leave the jigs or minnows alone.
    I generally like some wind when I'm fishing. Whenever we fished the wind blown areas, the yellow bass were in there pretty thick. Most years we would catch some real nice crappie on these spots.

All and all, I would have to rate the trip as pretty good. We had pretty nice weather (except the wind), I got to spend a few days with some friends and we caught a bunch of fish. (just not alot of big crappie)

We'll get them next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear you didn't bust any big hogs down there but you still got a good shot at a GO-RILLA next weekend at the river.We will be there one day of the weekend if you are intersted..

Post Thanks / Like

How the water color/level with this rain? The OR look pretty bad when we crossed it coming home.
    I'm supposed to do a little turkey hunting with my son sometime in the next weekend or two but he's not too predictable. (young and married) I may be open, depends on him.
    Let me know.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great time to me.