Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mark Twain Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mark Twain Lake

I've fished the lake some before, but am wondering if anyone has a report of this year so far. I am coming down with my in-laws and a friend and we are going to fish May 13th thru 16th. Just wondering what was going on there, and hoping we don't miss the spawn. If it is anything like here in Illinois where I am, we are getting real close to it happening.

mrwillis

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Willis:

You have chosen wisely in your dates. I have been fishing that lake since I was 7. If I could only have one day a year to fish MT it would be May 17. Normally the time you are going you can catch them by the wheel barrel full. You are wanting the water temp in the low 60's. Keep searching until you find it on any bank with pea gravel. This is absolutely key. If you can't find this I would just stay at your camp and drink and BBQ. When I cannot locate the correct water temp such as this, I normally go to Perry, MO and pick up some award winning BBQ sauce from Blue Hog and pop in some John Wayne as it will help your blood pressure from all of the time you wasted in cooler water. I like Searchers and the Cowboys. Just something about Uncle Ethan chasing down the bad guys.

If you can locate the correct water temp, I really like middle fork but the whole damn lake is good. Normally we use the cheapest walmart crappie jigs because the fish will keep hitting so much you will get sick of putting on tubes.

Only thing is the bigger females move in first and then the smaller males after that.

Really miss Mark Twain. Moved down to SW, MO from STL. Love the people much more in SW, MO but can't catch a crappie down here in this clear water to save my life. There is just something about that muddy water and crappie up there during the spawn or summer pool.

Hope you and your in-laws catch so many crappie it's sinful.

Reddog66
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery