PDA

View Full Version : Filet knife?

bassturd
04-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Sure this has probably been asked before but I am looking for a "good" electric filet knife. I have wore out a couple of the wal-mart specials but I would really like to find one that cuts better and lasts a little longer. It will be used on crappie, bream, and shellcracker. Anyone have any suggestions?

SkeeterJeff
04-29-2009, 05:38 PM
I just bought my first electric filet knife, a Rapala Proguide Deluxe that includes 6" and 7.5" kinves, 12v and 110 V adapter, Cig lighter 12v plug, and a carrying case. Some kits also include a cutting board. Mine was $45. As this is my first one, I have nothing to compare it to, but I am VERY pleased with it so far. Been through close to 100 crappie this season.

Jeff

bc1448
04-29-2009, 05:49 PM
I use an American Angler that I haven't had any problems out of yet. I have used mine on a lot of crappie and catfish.
Blake

Slipped Cork
04-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Mister twister, the best 24$ you can spend!

fishmannyj
04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
I have 2 American Anglers...niether worth a crap! I plan on trying the Rapala next. Have used the Mister Twister and the Cabelas Brand Both work better that mine but dont have a flexible blade. My current ones get hot and blades dont last( Jan-know)

shipahoy41
04-29-2009, 06:30 PM
I love my "Mr. Twister" knife. It holds up under heavy pressure of cleaning a bunch of crappies at a time.:D:D:D:D

CastandBlast
04-29-2009, 06:39 PM
I just bought my first electric filet knife, a Rapala Proguide Deluxe that includes 6" and 7.5" kinves, 12v and 110 V adapter, Cig lighter 12v plug, and a carrying case. Some kits also include a cutting board. Mine was $45. As this is my first one, I have nothing to compare it to, but I am VERY pleased with it so far. Been through close to 100 crappie this season.

Jeff

I have the same knife and I am very pleased with it.

ALMRAZEK
04-29-2009, 06:48 PM
I Have Two One Is A 20 Year Old Mr. Twister And The Other Is A Five Year Northamerican Angler. I Like Them Because The Blades Are Interchangeable. As You Can See From The Age They Are Both Durable. I Use Them To Filet Everything From Perch, Brim, Crappie To A Variety Of Saltwater Fish/ I Have Found That The New Thin Blade For The Northamerican Angler Will Not Work On The Mr Twister, But, The Old Style Blades Do. Hope This Helps.

Majesticman
04-29-2009, 08:09 PM
I have had an American Angler for 5 years. I have bought two sets of knives for it. No problem here.

gabowman
04-29-2009, 08:37 PM
I have an American Angler (12 v.) and it's 3 years old. I fish fall thru spring, winter included. No complaints here.:)

rnvinc
04-29-2009, 09:20 PM
The Walmarts here no longer carry the american angler so I bought the berkley that they now carry and it doesn't seem to get hot as quick as my old american angler did.

limbhook
04-29-2009, 09:21 PM
I use an American Angler and have had no problems with it, the only thing i think i would change on it is the handling part of it make it a bit smaller to get my hand around it better.

JIG Gene-e
04-29-2009, 10:52 PM
I had better luck going to the kitchen department to find a knife, after trashing 2 fishing knives that either got hot or gummed up from letting the meat slip tnrough flimsy blades. Anyone that can make a good filet knife has the market share in my opinion cause there ain't one out there! Just junk!

chap
04-30-2009, 05:32 AM
Sure this has probably been asked before but I am looking for a "good" electric filet knife. I have wore out a couple of the wal-mart specials but I would really like to find one that cuts better and lasts a little longer. It will be used on crappie, bream, and shellcracker. Anyone have any suggestions?

Turd, That would be a Mister Twister...........

bassturd
04-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks fellas!

Tiger
04-30-2009, 08:27 AM
I have tried them all. I usually get about a year out of one. My last two have been Rapala. That is probably the best I have found. Not much vibration. I cleaned 125 crappie with it Mon. and it didn't get hot. You will have to clean the blades pretty often. One more thing, If you don't plan on using the 12 volt feature, just get the 110 model. The transformer, plug and all the extra cord just gets in the way.

Kman
04-30-2009, 12:20 PM
I have to say, I have owned 10 of every kind out there and NONE of them are worth a CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I get so mad when I am using one and the thing is so hot I cant hold it or the blades are so poorly made that crappie filets DULL them!:rolleyes: I think they make these things for guys that fish once a month, tops!

Here are a list of knives I can certify 100% as total JUNK! I have owned many of each (due to nothing else out there)

1. Mr twister
2. American Angler
3. Mr twister salt water (laughable joke!)
4. American Angler salt water (bigger joke)
5. Rapala

Now, let me say that the Rapala goes one step beyond junk, it's also STUPID!
I would love to get my hands on the guy that decided....FOR ME....that I needed a safety button!:mad: You have to depress this safety button EVERY time the blades stop. WHAT??/ Yep. Barely stop to change angles and you have to grab the knife with both hands to depress a button as small as a pencil lead to get is started again. HAVE YOU TRIED TO USE YOUR OWN KNIFE RAPALA??????????? I think not. I finally took a nail and beat the safety switch out of the trigger. Gets hot on fish 7 or 8. GEEEEZ!!!!!!!

This is a sore subject with me if you can't tell, and I would pay $200 for a good one. No one makes one, give up, you won't find one. Just do like I do, get whatever one they have on the shelf when you are there, and KNOW that it won't last.

I have NO explanation for why some of these guys have knives that are lasting them that long. I just can't hardly believe it. But if it's true, I would tell you this, KEEP THAT SOB! You have one in a million!:D

3's
04-30-2009, 12:36 PM
I have the AA and its been good for the last 3 years. Did upgrade to the thin blades which made it better on the smaller fish. Only compliants are 1) as mentioned it gets pretty warm and 2) I hate where the blade removal button is on mine. Seems my thumb just gravitates to it while I'm in the zone. Next thing ya know its not doing a very good job:o

Kman
04-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!:d

Tiger
04-30-2009, 03:08 PM
You are right about the safety button on the Rapala. How stupid. The first thing I do is drill it out. Then the trigger works fine.

Doc Crappie
04-30-2009, 03:09 PM
The Walmarts here no longer carry the american angler so I bought the berkley that they now carry and it doesn't seem to get hot as quick as my old american angler did.

Walmarts here are still carry the replacement blades but not the knife that I noticed

pab1981
04-30-2009, 03:50 PM
I have a Mister Twister that I have had for about 5 years now. I don't have any complaints, bought another set of blades for it this spring because I'm too lazy to sharpen the originals.

bassturd
04-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Has any one ever come across a single blade electric knife?

SkeeterJeff
04-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Interesting comments about the Rapala, especially the safety button. The one I just bought does not have a safety button on it and does not get hot. I've used it to clean up to 26 fish non stop without it getting hot. Sorry to hear you have had problems. I'm a satisfied customer at this time.

Jeff

jlc_hunter
04-30-2009, 07:06 PM
The knife that I have been using for a while is mister twisters salt water version (blue and white) with the regular mister twister blades. It never gets hot and it has a little extra power. Went through almost 80 crappie in less than an hour with a second friend cutting out the ribs with a regular knife. It was my first experience with an electric on a lot of fish and I will NEVER go back to a regular filet knife again unless I am really trying to save every morsel of meat. I tried to buy the rapala blades because they were thinner but they do not work on the mister twister. They look like they would but they don't. The new pirahna blades are the thin low profile blades. Couldn't find'em around here. The rapala looks very well thought out I just don't know how good the motor is but I am sure it is great.

Barnacle Bill
04-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Interesting comments about the Rapala, especially the safety button. The one I just bought does not have a safety button on it and does not get hot. I've used it to clean up to 26 fish non stop without it getting hot. Sorry to hear you have had problems. I'm a satisfied customer at this time.

Jeff

Did you use the long blade or the short one? I used one for the first time a couple weeks ago using the hsort blade and it wouldn't cut hot butter. Unfortunately I didn't have the other blades with me.

SkeeterJeff
04-30-2009, 09:18 PM
I have been using the long blade on the crappie, but tonight the neighbor kid brought over an 8" gill from the pond across the street and I used the smaller blade. I think the gills are tougher, as it didn't do as well. I ain't blaming it on the blade yet tho... and the short blade was almost too small for an 8" gill filet.

Jeff

waterboy1
04-30-2009, 09:53 PM
I have the 12v Rapala and have used it over a year now, no safety button to push and have cleaned over a thousand fish with it. After a year it is about ready for a new blade. I fish bluegill a lot in the summer so its not unusual for me to clean up to 100 bluegill or more in one setting, the knife has never gotten hot enough to make my hand even slightly uncomfortable, even after 100 fish. I fish a lot not a little, usually twice a week or more, with most summer catches being 60 - 100 fish. I will say that I use the long blade only as the short one does not flex enough, makes skinning difficult. Have never seen a Rapala with a safety switch, maybe it's required by your state? Sounds like something California would do.

CrappieClint
04-30-2009, 11:22 PM
I have a mister twister the letters are worn off because years of use. It still works. I would buy nothing else.

JIG Gene-e
04-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Well guys ya better hope those old knives last forever. I had some good old knives too! Try buying a new one that will suit ya. The only thing I could find was a GE kitchen knife that don't heat up and cuts decent. The trigger is hard to pull only complaint. My buddy already bought and trashed two knives this year. Like I said earlier anyone who will make a good filet knife will have the market share. ANYONE OUT THERE!!

parttime
05-01-2009, 09:36 AM
I had the cordless rapala and it was junk. Didn't hold a charge long enough ands was dull after two fishing trips.
I now have a Mr. Twister, only one trip so far with 32 cats and it worked fine.

Doc Crappie
05-01-2009, 09:44 AM
I will stick with my rapala that i got this year have already gone through 500 gills and crappie and a few green crap and 1 cat since I picked it up. It does get a little warm when doing large numbers but never to warm to think you will get burned. If fact sometimes it feel darn good on those cold days after fishing when fillet at the lake with the 12v hook up, so much nice to have everything already fillet when you get home

crappieseeker
05-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Just thought I would add my 2 cents in this topic, i decided to let this post go on for a while before i chimed in to see what everyones experiences were. I had an American Angler that I kept for many years. I cleaned thousands of fish over the years with it. Used it day after day after day at times cleaning bluegill 100 at a time. I used it to cut the ribs and everything, used it on many surfaces and abused the crap out of it. It finally went in the trash only after i had dropped it so many times that it was busted. I never once sharpened the blades. It was a decent knife. It did get a little warm at times but other than that, no complaints