PDA

View Full Version : Crappie newbie

somozajc
04-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Ok guys, I need serious help! I just got into fishing not too long ago and i want to learn how to fish for crappie. I've gone out to fish for crappie a couple of time and can't seem to get the hang of it. I can't see when the fish actually takes the bait. I know they inhale it and not hit it like bass do. But i can't seem to see that on my line. Last night I went out and actually caught 10 small ones. I used a jig under a bobber and that was the only way i knew the fish took the bait. I would like to fish without a boober and be able to catch the badboy! So I ask of you, The PRO CRAPPIE FISHERMAN, please help an angler in distress........ What do I need to do to get the Crappie Eye?:confused:

Thanks

Bob # 1
04-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Ok guys, I need serious help! I just got into fishing not too long ago and i want to learn how to fish for crappie. I've gone out to fish for crappie a couple of time and can't seem to get the hang of it. I can't see when the fish actually takes the bait. I know they inhale it and not hit it like bass do. But i can't seem to see that on my line. Last night I went out and actually caught 10 small ones. I used a jig under a bobber and that was the only way i knew the fish took the bait. I would like to fish without a boober and be able to catch the badboy! So I ask of you, The PRO CRAPPIE FISHERMAN, please help an angler in distress........ What do I need to do to get the Crappie Eye?:confused:

Thanks

You will catch bad boys with jig under a bobber,
There is google search over 58,000 methods to catching them

That being said you are in the best place to learn from the pros.

jefferson_herr
04-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Somozajc, you shouldn't discount the use of bobbers. I'm a bank guy and bobbers really help me keep the lure in the strike zone and sometimes avoid hang-ups. Even the pros and guides use bobbers to catch crappie. Without the use of bobbers, crappie bites feel ranges from like something that's heavier than normal on the end of your line to tick-tick nibbles to the beloved "thump!". I don't do as much line watching as I should w/crappies, but with a quality rod and test line, you should be able to feel it just as you would if a LM bass picks up your soft plastic and wonders off with it. I don't have as much crappie-cred as most guys here, but I do know that after 15 years of crappie fishing, that sometimes I feel like I can't get the hang of it. So keep fishing and keep learning. -JHerr

somozajc
04-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Maybe I need to get a rod made for Crappie. I just use a regular rod. Nothing fancy since i just started fishing. What rod and reel do you recomend i get. I do alot of bank fishing but i do have a boat. The only thing I dont want is one of those rods longer than 10 footer. So what do you recomend i do.

jefferson_herr
04-29-2009, 03:31 PM
A light,med-lite, or ultra-lite rod & reel would work for crappie. To be honest, other than a 8ft Wally Marshall ProSeries crappie rod that I seldomly use now, I don't use any specified crappie rods and reels. I use a 7'2" Shimano Crucial drop-shot spinning rod Med-lite power w/fast tip and a 7' med-lite w/fast tip St. Croix Premier spin rod. I've been using little Pinnacle Deadbolt spinning reels ($25) up to last month, then I upgraded to a Shimano Stradic FI 1000 & Shimano Sahara 500. I like all of them, but I get less line twist w/the Shimano reels. I prefer 7ft-8ft rods, because it allows me to make farther casts, w/o giving up too much accuracy. I say start out with some low end gear at Cabela's, Dick's, or BPS and upgrade later on if you become an avid. You're way ahead of me, I can't even sway my financial advisor into getting a boat. -JHerr

shipahoy41
04-29-2009, 06:33 PM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/welcome33.gif
Old Ship says hello.

I am glad that you cast a line to this forum and I also extend a welcome you on behalf of all the members. Welcome from Alabama. "Shipahoy and I'll see you on the water."
fishin4crappie tips, CD's and jigs - Home (http://www.fishin4crappie.com)

gabowman
04-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Sometimes it just a "tick" on the line, and other times they smash it too. You should check out the state forum in your area and read posts about the lake you fish on too. Rods...I recommend a light action rod so you can feel or see the bite. I night fish and set my rods in holders and wouldnt use anything other than ultra light rods between 4.5'-6.5' myself.;)

BTW, welcome to the boards.:)

bc1448
04-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the board. A lot of crappie fisherman use the hi-vis line to help the see the lite bites.
Blake

rnvinc
04-29-2009, 09:09 PM
West Ky says hey ya'll,

Don't discount minnows. sometimes that is all they will bite. Minnows work fabulous under a bobber.

Crappie love structure of some kind, brush, rock piles. humps, stumps, marina break walls.

They will suspend in open water sometimes but IMO find the brush...find the crappie.....

belliott
04-29-2009, 10:25 PM
I think the most important thing is get a good rod, I personally like mine at least 8 feet. I use 6 foot rods when I have several out with minnows. You don't have to have to have the most expensive one. My first dedicated craapie rod was a 8 foot Zebco slab seeker, with a spinnig reel. I got it at Wal-wart for about 25 bucks. I use bobbers alot, it keeps the jig or minnow in the strike zone. sometimes a softer presentation is needed, like now during the spawn. It's sounds like your on the right track, have fun and catch fish

Gansett
04-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Welcome to the world of Crappie fishing. Like anything else, the more you do it the better you'll get. You'll get a lot of advice and you will find a technique that works for you. IMHO I've had 'em hit hard and other times could hardly tell they were on. It is, at times, like a "feeling" you get that a fish is on. I know that sounds nuts. But, I fish with ultra-light rods and matching reels a lot. I keep my eyes on my rod tip and/or line as it comes out of the water, as well as my index finger on the line. Despite that, sometimes I feel and see nothing but the pole feels "heavy" so, feeling like an idiot, I set the hook and am often pleasantly surprised to find I've got a crappie on the line. As I said, other times they hammer it and there's no doubt. Anyway, have fun learning and welcome again.

deathb4disco
04-29-2009, 10:46 PM
So what do you recomend i do.

For starters, take a look at the PM I sent you.

I like to cast jigs for crappie. Been doing it for over thirty years. Jigs are cheap, easy to use, and will catch anything that swims. I like light or UL rods in the 5-7' range. You don't have to spend a fortune, but get the best rod you can afford.

My favorite jig is marabou and chenille in chartreuse. If you're just starting out, you might want to stick with soft plastic grubs. Fish tend to hang onto them longer, so it's easier to feel the bites.

catman
04-30-2009, 06:40 AM
welcome.

yankee doodler
04-30-2009, 08:36 AM

Thanks

What's your location somozajc? You might be able to connect with someone from this site in your vicinity and get some first hand instruction. Everything previously posted holds merit for sure. Lots of experience on this site.

somozajc
04-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks alot guys. I can't believe all th eresponses. It makes me feel great when a bunch of guys are willing to share the knowledge. I will definitly try everything you guys recommend and hopefully i will be able to see the tick. I will definitly go out and get me a good rod in my price range. I havent used minnows and i plan to use them the next time i go out. What is the best way to keep minnows alive? Where i live i have to drive 1 hour north to buy some then drive back south an hour and a half to get to the lake i fish. How can I keep them alive overnight? Thanks again. O yeah, I live in Rio Rico Az. I live 15 north of the USA/Mexico border.

PawPaw "gene"
04-30-2009, 10:39 AM
That's a long drive for minnows. I think I would learn to fish jigs so as not to make the drive. Many times it's hard to beat live bait, but then again you can usually kill them on jigs . By the way, welcome to the site from Louisiana.

"gene"

Scoot
04-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Welcome aboard. I read all advise given. All are great. The only thing I can add is that patience to me is the key. You learn as you go. Just the peace and quiet away from the world is what I like. You can focus on the strike. Nature is a real good cure for tension along with some golden brown fillets in front of you. That makes you want to go back again and again. Again welcome and good reading.

limbhook
04-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Welcome from southern Indiana, the more you fish the more you will learn what to look for a lot of crappie i catch will just take the bait(minnow) and start moving away with it i will just let them continue to move with it until i see the floater is going under the water and i set the hook. And would you believe it i have a fish on the end of line.

Another thing to remember is that every nibble you get does not mean you will catch a fish. Good luck out there.

Eager Beaver
04-30-2009, 11:52 AM
In choosing a rod you want one that you can feel what is going on, on the end of your line. I use most 5 ft UL Berkley Cherrywood Rods. I can cast with them, I can jig with them, and I can shoot docks with them. I can feel a dragon fly land on the tip when I am holding it in my hand. How I choose a rod, is have someone hold the tip of the rod to their throat and then speak. If you can feel the vibration through the rod into the handle than you have a very sensitive rod and can feel a fish looking at your bait.
As far as reels they just hold the line so any of the cheaper ones will work as long as they have a decent drag on them, and not jerky as the line is pulled off the reel. EB

Fatman
04-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Welcome aboard!!!!!!! Light rod, light line unless your're in really heavy cover and don't count out those bobbers!!!!!!!! You'll get the feel of bites with light line and EVEN THEN sometimes they just barely suck it in. Hey that's the game though.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Fatman

rnvinc
04-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Lots of good minnow containers/maintainers on the market nowadays.

I use a styrofoam "champaigne" style bucket with a home made wooden lid.

Nothin more aggrivating than havin your minnow bucket lid blow out of the boat going down the road.....

If you plan on keepin em alive for more than just a few hours you will need to keep them cool ( small frozen plastic pop bottle) and give em aeration (several battery operated units on the market.