Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crappie newbie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie newbie

Ok guys, I need serious help! I just got into fishing not too long ago and i want to learn how to fish for crappie. I've gone out to fish for crappie a couple of time and can't seem to get the hang of it. I can't see when the fish actually takes the bait. I know they inhale it and not hit it like bass do. But i can't seem to see that on my line. Last night I went out and actually caught 10 small ones. I used a jig under a bobber and that was the only way i knew the fish took the bait. I would like to fish without a boober and be able to catch the badboy! So I ask of you, The PRO CRAPPIE FISHERMAN, please help an angler in distress........ What do I need to do to get the Crappie Eye?

Thanks

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by somozajc View Post
    Ok guys, I need serious help! I just got into fishing not too long ago and i want to learn how to fish for crappie. I've gone out to fish for crappie a couple of time and can't seem to get the hang of it. I can't see when the fish actually takes the bait. I know they inhale it and not hit it like bass do. But i can't seem to see that on my line. Last night I went out and actually caught 10 small ones. I used a jig under a bobber and that was the only way i knew the fish took the bait. I would like to fish without a boober and be able to catch the badboy! So I ask of you, The PRO CRAPPIE FISHERMAN, please help an angler in distress........ What do I need to do to get the Crappie Eye?

Thanks
    You will catch bad boys with jig under a bobber,
    There is google search over 58,000 methods to catching them

That being said you are in the best place to learn from the pros.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Somozajc, you shouldn't discount the use of bobbers. I'm a bank guy and bobbers really help me keep the lure in the strike zone and sometimes avoid hang-ups. Even the pros and guides use bobbers to catch crappie. Without the use of bobbers, crappie bites feel ranges from like something that's heavier than normal on the end of your line to tick-tick nibbles to the beloved "thump!". I don't do as much line watching as I should w/crappies, but with a quality rod and test line, you should be able to feel it just as you would if a LM bass picks up your soft plastic and wonders off with it. I don't have as much crappie-cred as most guys here, but I do know that after 15 years of crappie fishing, that sometimes I feel like I can't get the hang of it. So keep fishing and keep learning. -JHerr

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod and Line

Maybe I need to get a rod made for Crappie. I just use a regular rod. Nothing fancy since i just started fishing. What rod and reel do you recomend i get. I do alot of bank fishing but i do have a boat. The only thing I dont want is one of those rods longer than 10 footer. So what do you recomend i do.

Post Thanks / Like

A light,med-lite, or ultra-lite rod & reel would work for crappie. To be honest, other than a 8ft Wally Marshall ProSeries crappie rod that I seldomly use now, I don't use any specified crappie rods and reels. I use a 7'2" Shimano Crucial drop-shot spinning rod Med-lite power w/fast tip and a 7' med-lite w/fast tip St. Croix Premier spin rod. I've been using little Pinnacle Deadbolt spinning reels ($25) up to last month, then I upgraded to a Shimano Stradic FI 1000 & Shimano Sahara 500. I like all of them, but I get less line twist w/the Shimano reels. I prefer 7ft-8ft rods, because it allows me to make farther casts, w/o giving up too much accuracy. I say start out with some low end gear at Cabela's, Dick's, or BPS and upgrade later on if you become an avid. You're way ahead of me, I can't even sway my financial advisor into getting a boat. -JHerr

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Old Ship says hello.

I am glad that you cast a line to this forum and I also extend a welcome you on behalf of all the members. Welcome from Alabama. "Shipahoy and I'll see you on the water."
    fishin4crappie tips, CD's and jigs - Home
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes it just a "tick" on the line, and other times they smash it too. You should check out the state forum in your area and read posts about the lake you fish on too. Rods...I recommend a light action rod so you can feel or see the bite. I night fish and set my rods in holders and wouldnt use anything other than ultra light rods between 4.5'-6.5' myself.

BTW, welcome to the boards.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board. A lot of crappie fisherman use the hi-vis line to help the see the lite bites.
    Blake

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

West Ky says hey ya'll,

Don't discount minnows. sometimes that is all they will bite. Minnows work fabulous under a bobber.

Crappie love structure of some kind, brush, rock piles. humps, stumps, marina break walls.

They will suspend in open water sometimes but IMO find the brush...find the crappie.....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

I think the most important thing is get a good rod, I personally like mine at least 8 feet. I use 6 foot rods when I have several out with minnows. You don't have to have to have the most expensive one. My first dedicated craapie rod was a 8 foot Zebco slab seeker, with a spinnig reel. I got it at Wal-wart for about 25 bucks. I use bobbers alot, it keeps the jig or minnow in the strike zone. sometimes a softer presentation is needed, like now during the spawn. It's sounds like your on the right track, have fun and catch fish

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast