Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My starter gear

Post Thanks / Like

Default My starter gear

Hey Guys,
    Here's a pic of my starter gear.
    I'm not sure what model Plano this is, I bought it years ago for another purpose, but it looks like it will work for the time being.

This Rod and Reel was my Grandpaw's. I thought it was my dad's but he said it wasn't his. It needed some love, and some grease, but it's smooth now.

Poor Tackle box was empty yesterday when I took these pics. After a trip to the Local Bass Shack in Shelby.. it's not as empty but it's still pretty light :D

:D

I'm goin fishin' in the morning. Hopefully I'll have some new pics and a story for you guys tomorrow evening

Jason
    Last edited by sjuapseorn; 04-28-2009 at 07:30 PM.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to put here....
    Click my Homepage to help me in Gladiatus :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not a crappie day :(

Well,
    I went fishin' down at a cove off of Broad river this morning. After about 2 1/2 hours I'd managed to snag a stick, get hung in a tree, talk to the game warden, and catch 1 small bream. Game warden said that the guys had been slayin em on the other side of the cove, but I had no way to get there...
    No boat I had a ton of nibbles early, but I missed every one of them.. After a little while they stopped biting all together.

So, I decided to pack it up.
    As I was leaving the cove I decided to head over to the farm pond I'm gonna fish some and see what was happening over that way.

I fished about 20 minutes or so, and I caught a black crappie. He was too small to keep so I let him go. A few minutes later I caught another bream, same as the crappie.. too small to keep so I let him go too.

Fish were biting good over at the pond, but I'm just not used to the feel or something yet because I kept missing them. I would have fished longer but the cows decided to go for a swim. After they hit the water the fish just stopped biting all together

Oh well I got some sun, and I caught 3 fish total. Didn't take any pictures.. I had my camera with me too.. I didn't even think about it until I threw em back.

Jason
    I couldn't think of anything witty to put here....
    Click my Homepage to help me in Gladiatus :D

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good starter kit. Continue to keep fishing and learning from your experiences...you'll get there. There are many a times where I think I got a pattern down, then the fish humbles me really quick. Cherish your light tackle box...I'm a bank guy too and my backpack weighs approx 20lbs. And the sad thing is I only use 30-40% of my arsenal. Happy Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjuapseorn View Post
    Well,
    I went fishin' down at a cove off of Broad river this morning. After about 2 1/2 hours I'd managed to snag a stick, get hung in a tree, talk to the game warden, and catch 1 small bream. Game warden said that the guys had been slayin em on the other side of the cove, but I had no way to get there...

I would have fished longer but the cows decided to go for a swim. After they hit the water the fish just stopped biting all together

Oh well I got some sun, and I caught 3 fish total. Didn't take any pictures.. I had my camera with me too.. I didn't even think about it until I threw em back.

Jason
    Some years that seems to be the standard I fish by... "You should have been here (last week, yesterday, this morning)" LOL So don't feel bad about not having a boat to get there.

As for the cows.. I hear they are good eating, but a real booger to fillet.

Congrats on the tackle and cleaning up the old reel.

Good Luck next time!
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

I fish the river alot. PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like

Just keep trying to get those slabs. You may go out several times and only get a few or none at all. But that first day you go out and slay them it will all be worth it. Don't worry, your day will come.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t know what U usin but when I get them lite bites:
    I down size hook go from 2/4 down to 6, bend the hook point out a little (open gap) & also to right or left just a tad, if using a float make sure proper weight so ¾ float is under water-don’t want poor little fish to have to work too hard pulling under, make sure no slack in line to float so if he pulls I got em, may have to reel in say a ½ turn every minute or so to keep line tite, many times strike will come just after ½ turn then pause & then hit.Sometimes I will downsize size of bait/plastic also
    Good fishin to U................
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat View Post
    Don’t know what U usin but when I get them lite bites:
    I down size hook go from 2/4 down to 6, bend the hook point out a little (open gap) & also to right or left just a tad, if using a float make sure proper weight so ¾ float is under water-don’t want poor little fish to have to work too hard pulling under, make sure no slack in line to float so if he pulls I got em, may have to reel in say a ½ turn every minute or so to keep line tite, many times strike will come just after ½ turn then pause & then hit.Sometimes I will downsize size of bait/plastic also
    Good fishin to U................
    Make sense. Sjuapseorn, sounds like good sound advice you should try next time the bite is light or the fish are small.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I been using a Plana Over and Under like yours as long as I can remember.

Just love all those little compartments.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

don't worry what you're tackle looks like. A slick old man back home who I had the EXTREMELY GOOD FORTUNE to know had some of the sickest looking tackle out there. He'd get there and start walking the shoreline and disappear, well you all know it's coming at the end of the day this old cagey man came out with the biggest stringers of crappie while others went without.

I had the chance to look inside that old reel of his and his crappy old box and this dude was stacking the deck, the inside of that reel was spotless and so was all the tackle in his box, he just kept a dirty towel over the top of the neatly packed tackle.

Understand Grasshopper:p:p:p Enjoy Man
    Fatman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast