PDA

View Full Version : What kind of bobbers for night fishing?

Tube4Slabs
08-21-2005, 07:20 PM
All of the lighted bobbers I've seen are huge and will probaly snap my line when I try to cast, and the chances of a finicky slab taking it under and holding onto the bait will be very slim b/c of the resistance. Has anyone found a good lighted bobber for night fishing. Walmart had some of the small glow sticks about an inch in length and I'm gonna rig these on my floats until something better comes along. Any suggestions?

dsacalaitman
08-21-2005, 09:30 PM
i personnally like the blue fox lighted bobbers u can clip on line or u can run your line threw the center of it .
i purchase mine at academy sports and outdoors or bass pro shops

CrappieHead
08-21-2005, 10:33 PM
I purchased two packs of those small glow in the dark sticks and was planning on using them on my smaller bobbers. I got some larger bets bobbers that have a plastic stick on the top. I figured I could attach those glow plastic tubes to the top of the bobber with rubber bands or something. I have not even opened up the packages yet.

Let me know if you find them worth while and how you attach them to your bobbers. Also tell us which type bobbers you used and if they worked well with these glow light things.

I wonder just how long they last.

I like the glow sticks myself. I have only used them on my rod tips so for but thinking of using them on my slip type bobbers as well. I have been looking on e-bay for large amounts of them at a cheaper price.

CrappiePappy
08-22-2005, 02:02 AM
I've never used a "lighted" float ... never owned one. But, let me play the "devils advocate" here :

why not use "fluorescent" floats ? - something like this: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewesb.html

If you're concerned that the line will break, throwing these larger/heavier lighted floats - why not use heavier line ? If you think the heavier line will keep the fish from biting - use a leader of smaller pound test.

To combat the heavy resistance of a larger float ... add more weight on the line - until the float is more than 3/4 of the way submerged, but still floats. This may require heavier line, but a lighter line leader will still allow the bait to present good action.

Have you considered using very light floats (like Thill's Balsa ones), and painting the top half with fluorescent paints ?

I checked on the prices of some of the "lighted" floats ... between $3 & $8 apiece :eek: And replacement batteries ... another couple of bucks apiece !! That's a pretty substantial investment, for a half dozen floats. Does the production level of these type of floats, make that investment a viable one ?

Here's a link to some bulk pricing for "glo-sticks" ...... http://www.mammothglow.com/showProducts.php?catId=1&PHPSESSID=853589130cafaa84e1b0028587364089 (just FYI) ... luck2ya ...cp :cool:

crappie66
08-22-2005, 02:17 AM
The best bobber to use is a small slip bobber. It doesn't need to glow, its doesn't need to have a battery, it doesn't need a bulb in it, it doesn't need to cost more than $1.50. The smaller the better, that way you will see the light bites better. When fishing at night under the lights you generally fish directly over the side of the boat jigging your minnow under the bobber up and down.

What truely amazes me lately when reading all of my message boards is all of the gadgets that have caught the fisherman. The fish really don't care how much you spend on this and that, keep it simple, and the fishing will be much more enjoyable.

chef
08-22-2005, 05:21 AM
undefined I do a lot of night fishing and don't
use a bobber. I paint my rod tips a florescent color, usually white,
and concentrate on watching the rod tips. I tried bobbers, but on
a light bite, I do better watching the rod tips.
Chef

unknown 5
08-22-2005, 05:38 AM
I do quite a bit of night fishing with bobbers. I am a coonhunter, so I use my coonhunting light for night fishing. My light head attaches to a hat, so I have light where ever I look. I have a red lense I snap on my light so it won't attract bugs. I use regular small foam bobbers in either chartruse or orange colors and I have found these bobbers usually shine well enough to be seen well at night. But, if I wanted to, I could use a little reflective tape on the bobbers and on my rod tips. They would shine alot farther than I could cast and could easily be seen with my light on dim and a red lense on it.
If you want to go to some reasonable expense, Nite Lites can be bought for arount $100 at www.huntsmart.com. These are rechargable lites that have heads that can be worn on a cap. If you night fish much, they are money well spent. I use my $300 Coon Buster light. I can put it on spotlight mode and it will easily outshine a car headlight or shine across the lake I fish. It is great when navigating in hazardous areas. I mostly run my light on low and it will shine all night with more than adequate light. I can see wherever I look with hands free. There are similar but cheaper lights availible at Bass Pro but if you fished much at night, the $100 Nite Light would be a wise investment in my opinion.

kunes
08-22-2005, 05:56 AM
If you aren't nitefishin with lighted bobbers you are leaving fish behind. I don't mean fishing next to the boat. Either a soft tipped rod with a white painted tip or a small slip bobber is adequate. Casting a minnow under a lighted bobber to an area out of the influence of your baitlites will often put more fish in the boat. Sometimes one or two and sometimes alot. You can use styrofoam floats and attach a glow stick. Rod-N-Bobs come with a figure 8 piece of rubber that attaches the glow stick to the bobber stem. Thill lited bobbers work well also as do the Nite Bobbies. In the colder months we often freeline a minnow 3-4 feet below a Nite Bobbie. With no weight the bobber will lie on it's side until there is a strike at which time it will stand up. During the spawn a good nitefishin tactic is to set up in deep water that is within casting distance of the bank. This will put you over staging fish and you can cast to the spawners up in the shallows. One nite last winter I was set up in 25 feet of water tightlining. I cast a lited bobber with a minnow 2 feet below the bobber toward shore. The bobber drifted toward a laydown and went out of sight. I landed that fish and did it again and caught another. All the fish I caught on the tightlines that nite were average. Without using the lited bobber I doubt I would have caught these two:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/915445/MDBIW-WedNiteSlabs.jpg

Rick
08-22-2005, 10:16 AM
I put reflective tape on my slip bobbers. When you fish with lights at night they really stand out.

KARL
08-22-2005, 12:16 PM
...as noted in Kunes post....put on cheap styrofoam stick-style floats..directions on package show putting light close to bait..anybody try that????..results???...think I may give it a whirl next time.....I haven't caught any slabs like in Kunes pics.....but have picked up a few bigger than rest on floats in dark area's.............my $.02
........cp...thanks for link to glo-stick bulk...

kunes
08-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Karl--the Rod-N-Bobb kit has a sleeve used to attach the lite to your line close to the bait. I tried it once in real muddy water. Put the lite about 8 inches above the minnow. Caught a small catfish on the rig but didn't try it long/often enough to form an opinion.

Bushrod
08-22-2005, 01:21 PM
LOL...I have to laff every time I read about the different bobbers and other "doo-dads" designed to hook the uninformed/inexperienced fisherman...lighted bobbers are one of those gadgets...you don't need them...use the standard cigar-shaped bobbers and fish within the circle of flight you produce while night fishing...using a submerged light? Use a 12V marine bulb in a clamp-on shield to illuminate your area....

Bushrod :-)

rango
08-22-2005, 01:36 PM
LOL...I have to laff every time I read about the different bobbers and other "doo-dads" designed to hook the uninformed/inexperienced fisherman...lighted bobbers are one of those gadgets...you don't need them...use the standard cigar-shaped bobbers and fish within the circle of flight you produce while night fishing...using a submerged light? Use a 12V marine bulb in a clamp-on shield to illuminate your area....

Bushrod :-) lighted bobbers are a tool an experienced fisherman can put to good use if he understands how and when to use it. (thats where experience comes in) :). we use em for catching crappie and theres been a lot of nights where the lit bobbers out in the DARK water away from the boat has saved the night for us. at times they hit good out in the dark and at times they dont. if its apperant they arent interested in baits out there, well pull em in and concentrate in our circle of light. when i was first introduced to the lighted bobber concept by a pard , i laughed at him for using stuff like that. dint take me long to realize that he had a weapon that was paying off. now i have a box full of em, and a huge amount of confidence in em just in case they are what the fish want that night

rango
08-22-2005, 01:39 PM
I put reflective tape on my slip bobbers. When you fish with lights at night they really stand out. i do that to on my big 10 inch cigar floats i use for catfishing. they stand out like a sore thumb out there in the dark, with just a little light hittin the tape.

crappieseeker
08-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Not everyone is blessed to be able to fish from a boat or directly over the fish. Some people are confined to bank fishing. Thus in return sometimes calls for long cast and the need for light to be able to see the float from a long distance. I once had to fish this style before I was able to purchase a boat. I had alot of trouble with the big clip on lighted bobbers. They tended to come unclpped alot when you caught a big crappie and you would lose the float, almost a 4 dollar investment each. I related to them alot though because the green lighted ones produced fish sometimes when the red ones or the light sticks would not. The crappie were more attracted to that light than other lights. The glow sticks, clip on or rubberband style, worked okay but were hard to use with slip floats. I tried to use more lanterns and just use flourescent floats, but never seemed to catch as many this way as it seemed to put too much light over a wider surface area of the water. So I do think that alot of times lighted floaters are worth a try.

unknown 5
08-22-2005, 06:37 PM
I can guarentee you reflector tape can be seen much farther than you can cast with a very dim light. You can buy a big roll of reflector tape for a couple of bucks. More tham enough to do lots of bobbers. I wouldn't use anything else.

Tommy
08-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Hey Tube. I do the same thing Rick does. NAPA or Walley World sells reflective tape for a little of nothing. Wrap your cork, the same one that you use in the daytime, and just keep right on fishing. Also works great wrapped around the end of the rod if you tight line at night.

dsacalaitman
08-22-2005, 07:52 PM
theres a place here in new orleans that a lot of bank fisherman fish at night for crappie its an amazing sight you will see at least 100 lights out inthe water . my buddy and i have gone a few times and caught a nice mess but those bobbers can get expensive of all the models out there i like the blue fox makes a cigar shaped lighted bobber ,it has a lithium battery with light built in to battry that lasts a long time
when this mad mob start showing up round jan ill take pics so yall can see how many people line the banks and every one is catching fish

Jerry Blake
08-22-2005, 08:03 PM

Uh, Bushrod, "Laff" is actually spelled LAUGH but we knew what you meant. :)

Originally Posted by Bushrod
"LOL...great pic...BTW, it's spelled BREAM, not brim...."

Just giving you a hard time - couldn't help myself - didn't get on the water today - almost killed me!

crappieseeker
08-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Reflective tape can be seen yes. I am saying though that the lighted bobber attracted more fish. I always caught more fish when I used that particular float.

Crappie Reaper
08-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Any visual aid can be an edge at night. Sometimes, I catch more crappie using only my black light. It lights my line, bobbers and Flourescent painted rod tips. Does not draw half the insects other lights do, and makes it comfortable to fish. I use a clip on LED Flashlight to see for tying and other things. The black light is the first light that is turned on in my boat. If it's slow, I bring the other one out and fish both sides.
My two cents, reflective tape, high $$$ lighted bobbers, anything that helps out and might be the difference between getting ones filet knife out at the end of the trip.
I have met a guy known as Big George on the Oklahoma board that is going to show me the art of spider rigging someday. I would love to try it at night under the black lights. It could be a dangerous combo to locating the ultimate slabs. But, I can guarantee, we would see the lines better at night under a black light, than one ever could by the light of day.

unknown 5
08-23-2005, 06:03 AM
Alot of night catfishermen use black lights and florescent line. The black light makes that florescent line stand out like a piece of glowing rope. I haven't tried it but I would bet it would make some reflective tape on a bobber stand out also if the black light was put where it's light would reach the bobber with the tape on it.

Crappie Reaper
08-23-2005, 09:45 PM
No need for reflective tape if you use the cheap, styrofoam stick bobbers that wally world sells. They are flourescent orange on top and a good black light will shine it up at 90' easy. And, if you are using a white light, (rough service bulb), use the same bobber, just pull the styrofoam portion off and turn it upside down, so that the while portion is visible above the water. That helps alot! Been there, done that. I really can't see myself buying a lighted bobber for any reason as long as I am in a boat, and have juice in the batteries.
Reaper