Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much will they grow ??

Post Thanks / Like

Default how much will they grow ??

How much will a crappie grow in a years time?? At Weiss we caught alot of 9 to 9.5 in fish. Limit size is 10. How big will these guys get when next spring comes back around

Post Thanks / Like

Default fishy

as I recall growth is pretty slow, Id guess without a huge supply of food about 3 years. I have seen growth study results around somewhere.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere under good conditions with adequate food supply it takes about 2 years to reach 10 inches.

Post Thanks / Like

So if they are 9 inches this year what will the same fish be next year?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure but I think in this region, AR, TX, MS ect., 3 years ought to be a 10 in. fish.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Hey Doc ...

Quote Originally Posted by laserdoc View Post
    How much will a crappie grow in a years time?? At Weiss we caught alot of 9 to 9.5 in fish. Limit size is 10. How big will these guys get when next spring comes back around
    They'll be "keepers", for sure :D

Average growth is 3" per year for the first 3-4yrs, given good water conditions and a adequate food supply. Most of the growth is done during the Summer/Fall season ... Winter is reserved for egg growth, and Spring is reserved for egg development & spawning.

Depending on lake conditions ... your Weiss Lake sub-legals should be at least 10.5 to 11 inches long, come next Spring. (possibly bigger if Shad population has a good spawn)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

possibly 9-9.5 inches
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Rule of thumb is 10" in 3 years and 1" per year thereafter. However, if the cover is good and food source is great they will hit near 10" in 2 years. The key is adequate cover and food source.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris View Post
    Rule of thumb is 10" in 3 years and 1" per year thereafter. However, if the cover is good and food source is great they will hit near 10" in 2 years. The key is adequate cover and food source.
    Darryl, the lake I fish has GREAT cover (way too much actually) and more shad than all the predator fish will ever eat. After thinking about your reply, what is the age span for crappie? Just curious as how old a 16-18" crappie would be.:o
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    Darryl, the lake I fish has GREAT cover (way too much actually) and more shad than all the predator fish will ever eat. After thinking about your reply, what is the age span for crappie? Just curious as how old a 16-18" crappie would be.:o
    According the the rule of thumb a 16" crappie would be 9 years old but if the growth rate is greater it is most likely only 6 or 7. We have turned in several heads (they microscope the ear bone for age) but have not gotten any results yet.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast