Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10' Cherrywood Crappie Rod opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 10' Cherrywood Crappie Rod opinion?

Hey, what do you think of these? I can get 'em for about $20. I'm thinking about getting a couple to stash in the corner of the garage until I need them.

I'm getting a mess of long rods now, each for their own purpose.
    For night fishing, we want a very sensitive rod, Outlaw 10' UL. They are light and sensitive but kind of fragile.

For vertical jigging, pole in each hand, I use a 10' Wally Marshal Pro series I think. They are fine for that.

I have two B&M 12' poles I just don't like for anything. Actually I have 1 1/2 because the tip section exploded, or rather folded in half, lifting a small fish into the boat a short time ago.

So I see these 10' Cherrywoods cheap on a website but have never felt one. what you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Cherrywoods are great rods but they break also! Butt there half the price of B&M. I like both!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cherrywood Rods-Don't Waste Your money!

I have bought two of them over the last three months and both of them have broken. I like the feel of the rod very sensitive, however the tips will break at nothing! Pay a little extra and get something better!

PPace

Down South and loving life!!

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, I went and ordered them. I will post back on my results after a few trips.

The rods I like best, the Outlaws 1002UL I think, are the fragile ones and they don't make them anymore. They have a shorter cork handle. The same blank was used by Crappie Wizard and some other brands. Now, they replaced that blank with a slightly heavier one, and stronger. I don't know how they fish yet. The only way to get that UL designated rod now is an Ozark brand with a long foam handle. They cost $45! ouch. The slightly stonger blank, well Louie at Grizzly Jig sells them called The Crappie Pole I think, only $36. I would NEVER spend $40 on a standard B&M jig pole again. I hate 'em. So we will see how these Cherrywoods hold up, for $20 if they are sensitive it could be a bargain..
    thanks for the input.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the 6 1/2 foot, 2 piece UL action, Cherrywoods for years and love the sensitivity of them!!! Have caught several catfish over 20lbs on them and never had them break on me!!! There's never a reason this rod should break unless you're not using your drag correctly or you're just not landing the fish correctly!!! Hope you enjoy your 10 foot Cherrywoods as they should do you well!!! Hope this is helpful and tight lines to you!!!

IF YOU'RE FISHIN ON CREDIT, YOU'D BETTER SWITCH TO DEBIT!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If your talking about the Berkley Cherrywoods I love them. I mainly use the 5 ft rod and also the 6-1/2 ft 2 pc rod. I love the sensitivity of them but the tip is rather fragile. You can't swing a big Crappie in the boat with them and never try to lift a Crappie with the rod tip. (Holding the rod in one hand with the rod straight up it will break the tip just about everytime). I think you will like them tho after you have tried them. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to try the ugly stiks in 10' length. You can see them on the shakespeare website listed as USCR10, black foam handles with sliding rings. After reading many post especially on the South Carolina board they make a lot of sense to me. They are supposed to have a very soft tip section, and at night, and trolling during the day your tip dip is basicly your cork...I mean you watch your tip and a light tip that bends easy will show you more than a stiff fast action graphite tip would...I think I will try them for the night fishing (get some short ugly stik ultra lites too) and trolling, anything where the rod spends all its time in the holder. I will probably stick with the wally marshel rod I have for techniques where i am holding a rod in my hand and relying on feel along with line watching...but in the holders why not tough as nails uglies? These rods are hard to find though, but you local tackle shop can probably order them.

Post Thanks / Like

Cherrywoods are a good rod for the price. I'm of the school of thought where I'd much rather break a $20 rod than a $100 rod any day. With as clumsy as I am it doesn't matter what brand it is, sooner or later, I'm sure to break it, so, at $20 apiece - that's the direction I would go.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had nothing but trouble from Cherrywoods, have had a few of them and every one of them have been the worst rods of any i have ever owned. The el cheapo 6 dollar rods are better than them. I will never buy another one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    I have had nothing but trouble from Cherrywoods, have had a few of them and every one of them have been the worst rods of any i have ever owned. The el cheapo 6 dollar rods are better than them. I will never buy another one
    Can't drive a spike with a tac hammer! the only problems I have had with them is when I tried to lift a big fish or got broken from negligents. I have caught 25lb Cats and Carp with my 5ft rods. You may want to back off on your drag if you are breaking them on a fish. I have never broken one of these rods fighting a fish. I don't horse them into the boat but let them fight for awhile and then bring them to the boat. I either reach down and pick the fish up by the line or net them. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast