PDA

View Full Version : Minnow preference?

mrwillis
04-28-2009, 10:43 AM
I usually fish jigs tipped with niblets, but I also throw a pole out with a minnow just to catch those "bonus" fish.
But, when fishing minnows, I have used both regular colored minnows, and the Ruby Red's. I haven't really found any difference. What is your preference and why?
Would Ruby Red's be more beneficial for night fishing?

mrwillis

Locator79
04-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I can find no difference in the two, other than the red's cost alot more. No brainer for me!

Fatman
04-28-2009, 02:45 PM
My state of Vermont FINALLY!!!!!! got off they dead butts and listened to fisherman. For about a 2 yr period even if you were to catch minnows at the lake you were fishing you could be fined!!!!!!!!!!!

They've finally come to their senses and now you can catch them again, pretty easy with an umbrella net and some corn meal and catch a bucket full but regular for me.

Fatman

joewildlife
04-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Around here, the regular minnows are golden shiners and the rosy reds are fathead minnows. I think the fatheads are tougher in the bait bucket and on the hook, so I buy them for that reason if they are priced about the same.

By the way, golden shiners can escape into ponds, breed, and grow too numerous and large for bass and crappie to eat. I've seen a good pond almost ruined by them. Fatheads are the kind of minnow that is stocked in a new lake, prior to stocking the bass, bluegill, and catfish, to get it off to a good start. They usually disappear in a short time.

Arkie John
04-28-2009, 05:27 PM
It boils down to the fish's preference...just like in choosing jig colors. Some days they like the pinks and some times they don't.

aj

wishtofish
04-28-2009, 08:53 PM
I agree with Arkie John. If you have the option, get some of both. The rosie reds are tough but I personally have a hard time finding them in a size of my liking, they are normally smaller than I prefer.

sjuapseorn
04-29-2009, 04:23 PM
here's a silly question..
how do you get them from the bucket to your hook?
just curious.. I've never used minnows to fish for anything

Cane Pole
04-29-2009, 04:38 PM

God given tool. My hand.....Pickem up. Squeeze em. Then shove a hook down this throat.

CrappiePumba
04-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Both work just fine. The rosy reds are usually smaller but they work more when their not biting regular minnows.

CrappiePappy
04-30-2009, 07:41 AM

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Sources/GetImage.axd?own=NC&imageid=84895

... a minnow net ;) (can usually be found for around $1.00 or so)

... cp :cool:

smashdn
04-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Noticed the other day that at different lakes "minnas" is not all the same. Usual where i get my bait minnas are fathead minnows. At the bait store by Barkley where i bought minnas they were what i call shiners.

Plus they were double the price of what i normally get a dozen fat head minnows for too.

mrwillis
04-30-2009, 10:41 AM
I have ran into a strange minnow a couple of times from the Tiki Hut near Raccoon Lake in Indiana. I usually just reach down and grab one, and throw it on the hook. Well, the past couple years of going up there, I don't do that anymore. In the mix of the minnows, I have grabbed the wrong one...they have "spikes" on their back and are extremely hard to hook. They honestly look like a small sturgeon. Strange looking sucker. Not all the minnows in the bucket were this type, but it is strange I have gotten them on different trips, even in different years.

Breambuster
04-30-2009, 12:30 PM
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Sources/GetImage.axd?own=NC&imageid=84895

... a minnow net ;) (can usually be found for around $1.00 or so)

... cp :cool:

Yes, wise choice since any sunscreen, oil (even the natural oils from our body) can kill live bait quicker than using a minnow net and keeping your hands out of the bucket/live-well.

NoMinners
04-30-2009, 12:36 PM
minners, who needs minners

joejv4
04-30-2009, 02:25 PM
I don't use minnows because I'm too cheap to buy them and too lazy to work at keeping them alive, but around here, if you do use minnows for crappie, fatheads are the preferred species.

Hillbilly910
04-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Mr.willis, i find those occasionally too. We always called them spine-backs(obvious reasons). we were always told that fish wouldnt bite them, due to the nasty spines, well, i can tell you thats not true. Crappies, generally bigger ones will destroy them.

I would kill to have a bait store sell baby shiners around here. fathead minnows work fine, but something about that shad profile that a shiner has that drives fish crazy, at least for me. and yes, they are normally more expensive than fatheads. One trick to shiners, any size is to keep them off the bottom, let them get on the bottom, and they'll go to sleep(hide), specially the big'uns used for catfishing.
Another minnow i would love to use is baby israelies(sp?), most pay lakes sell the bigger ones for flathead fishermen, but them dudes are vicious on a hook,swim like theres no tommorrow, couldnt imagine the crappie you could catch on a 2-3 inch one of them.

HB:cool:

joewildlife
04-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Those minners with the spines may be sticklebacks. That is a BAD DEAL for you to be finding them in your bait minnows. They are an exotic, invasive species that can cause big problems if they escape and get established. I used to work for Indiana DNR Fisheries, so I was aware of them. see this website (if I can link to it, i dunno)

DNR: Indiana AIS Plan (http://www.in.gov/dnr/4627.htm)

In ANY case, NEVER dump your extra or leftover minnows into the lake. Dump them in the middle of a parking lot or field where there is no way they will make it back to the lake alive.

If it was me and I found sticklebacks in my bait, I would call a Conservation Officer and report the bait dealer to them to get the problem fixed.

carps, snakeheads, rusty crayfish, and a million other invasive species. most turn out bad, real bad.

Festus_Haggen
05-04-2009, 11:41 AM
We get those sticklebacks in minnows here sometimes.

A few years ago, a friend of mine moved back from FL. He kept telling how they fished shiners for bass down there. You can't find those big golden shiners here, so we bought a couple dozen regular common shiners-they were about 5" to 6" long. We took them to a big pond where I regularly fish for bluegills and bass. There's crappie in this pond, but far and few between. We fished the shiners about 3' deep under a big float with no weight, and lo and behold, we started catching crappie! I always heard a 2" to 3" minnow or even smaller is the ticket to crappie, but that day they were hitting our big shiners. We tried jigs, small crankbaits, and spoons to no avail. It was a good half hour drive to the nearest place that sold minnows, but we caught a dozen or so crappie some were nice. We released them due to the fact they're hard to catch or the pond has a low population of crappie.

SMITTY 58D
05-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I have used toughies and was surprised at how long they last on the hook compared to other minnows. They are tough just like the name.