Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trailer tire wear

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer tire wear

So back when water was way down I was putting my boat in and backed off the end of the ramp and got hung up. I pulled out finally after locking mytruck in 4 wheel drive and had pulled the bracket off the trailer where the axle spring bolted on. I had a boat shop fix it they welded the bracket back to the frame but said if it broke there again it would probably mean a new trailer. Now 2 months later I see my tire on that side is completely wore out right on the edge. Would the axle being slightly out of line cause that and can it even be fixed. I can't afford to buy new tires every 2 months for sure. Actually it didn't just pull that bracket off the frame, it pulled the bottom of the frame out where it was welded and they put that whole piece back inside there and welded it back up. This looks like a problem that ain't going to end well for me. I'm assuming its not a warranty problem, the boat is only right at a year old.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take it to a shop that specializes in trailers. It can be tricky to get everything square, but they should be experts at it.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Trailers need alignments too.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand you say alignments. Theres not much that can be adjusted, so something must be bent.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, for starters, take a tape measure and measure the distance from the back frame member to each side of the axle nearest the wheel. If there is a substantial difference, you will have worn out tires until the trailer is realigned.

The next thing you can do is take a framing square and check the back frame member against the two side members going forward. You may have to grind the outside corner of the framing square a bit to make room for the inside weld.

These measurement will show whether the trailer is true or not. I suspect that it is not because the tire is wearing out.

I had the same problem with my four-month-old Nationwide trailer, and I didn't cause it. So Nationwide replaced my axle along with new tires and rims. I wore the inside of my port-side tire and the outside of my starboard-side tire completely out in three months.

I think it's just a matter of alignment and a good frame shop could do it for you for much less than the cost of a new trailer.

aj

Post Thanks / Like

I would think if the trailer axle bracket was welded in the wrong place, front to back, it would scuff the tire evenly. Usually when an edge is worn, it's the result of a bent axle or overloaded axle. Trailer axles have a built in bow to the top so that when they are loaded, the axle straightens somewhat. I'm betting you bent the axle also at the same time you broke the bracket. I'm not sure how you could check it out for a bend. Maybe remove the tires and use a long straight edge across the spring pads, and then measure to the axle centerline?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie John View Post
    Okay, for starters, take a tape measure and measure the distance from the back frame member to each side of the axle nearest the wheel. If there is a substantial difference, you will have worn out tires until the trailer is realigned.

The next thing you can do is take a framing square and check the back frame member against the two side members going forward. You may have to grind the outside corner of the framing square a bit to make room for the inside weld.

These measurement will show whether the trailer is true or not. I suspect that it is not because the tire is wearing out.

I had the same problem with my four-month-old Nationwide trailer, and I didn't cause it. So Nationwide replaced my axle along with new tires and rims. I wore the inside of my port-side tire and the outside of my starboard-side tire completely out in three months.

I think it's just a matter of alignment and a good frame shop could do it for you for much less than the cost of a new trailer.

aj
    That makes more sense. I'm wearing one tire on the outside and the other one on the inside. Actually they are cupped out in places, I'm assuming whatever is out of whack is off a good bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie John View Post
    Don't measure from the frame member as they are not always perfectly square. measure from the center line of the tongue just behind the hitch to your axle mounts. They should be the same. If not find you a good welder to fix the problem.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FroggerZ View Post
    Don't measure from the frame member as they are not always perfectly square. measure from the center line of the tongue just behind the hitch to your axle mounts. They should be the same. If not find you a good welder to fix the problem.
    Pick a good spot on the center of the tongue and stretch a string to each spindle. Actual length doesn't matter, but the fact that they are the same length. I've built a couple of hay trailers and used a string to align the axles, and they both towed nicely at speed, even though they were only built to haul behind a tractor.