Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shellcrackers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shellcrackers

Just came in from cleaning fish[26 gills,5 spots,&12 shellcrackers].I was going to take a picture of all of them.Took this one first showing two biggest shellcrackers-9.5 & 12".went to reveiw picture and batterys went dead in the camera!LOL,guess ya gotta remember to re-charge occasionaly!!IT"S a lousy pic but does show the size. All the fish came out of 12 to 24 ft. of water on nightcrawlers.Its got to be a 100* out now,thought I was gonna cook em while cleaning them!! Its supposed to cool off some after today,Thank God.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dennis
    You sure you haven't been here in SC catching our fish? Those are some nice size shellcrackers.

How about sending some of the cool weather here if you get some. It was a heat index of 112 here today.. I'm waiting until next week when it's suppose to cool down a little before I even think about going.
    Gerald
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Good catch! Shellcrackers are known to be large fish mostly because they are not often caught and not as many are stocked as bluegill and they don't reproduce like bluegills. Those should make a great meal.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gcromer
    Dennis
    You sure you haven't been here in SC catching our fish? Those are some nice size shellcrackers.

How about sending some of the cool weather here if you get some. It was a heat index of 112 here today.. I'm waiting until next week when it's suppose to cool down a little before I even think about going.
    Gerald
    I catch Several in that size range though the average size is 7-10".I know what you mean about the heat-110* index here yesterday.Supposed to cool down after today!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyfootnc
    Good catch! Shellcrackers are known to be large fish mostly because they are not often caught and not as many are stocked as bluegill and they don't reproduce like bluegills. Those should make a great meal.
    The Gills are for sure alot easier to catch.Here on the Hollow Though We Have A pretty good Shellcracker population!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up nice mess

those some preety fish. here in our area we call them lake runners or chinquapin but all in all they all stink da grease heres onr i caught 2 day
    Last edited by dsacalaitman; 08-21-2005 at 04:57 PM.
    :p keep it wet
    take a kid fishing
    born to fish
    forced to work :p

Post Thanks / Like

crappy photo, great fish. nice haul.

bluegill

Post Thanks / Like

I always said that a 1lb. blugill is the best fighting fish pound for pound but that just isn't true when you add shellcrackers (redear as we call em) to the picture. These must have been fun to catch! Good lookin fish. I wish they were easier to pattern, i'd fish for them all the time!