Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fusable Links

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fusable Links

have a question dealing with fuseable links that you hook up for the battery in both the neg and pos side. Is there a standard amperage for the link that you would hook up in line. I had an electric motor with bad wiring blow both of my links, melted them so badly that I couldnt get any information off them. Now I need to replace them but not sure what the fuse amp should be.

Ant help would be greatly appreciated

Doc Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

if your running a 24 volt troll motor it is 40 amps . i just use 40 amp breakers i get at rv camper parts store.

not sure if you are running 36 volts.

if it is on your outboard motor side im not sure what that amperage would be might have it in your owners manual or at the library.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sticko View Post
    if your running a 24 volt troll motor it is 40 amps . i just use 40 amp breakers i get at rv camper parts store.
    Breaker requirements vary with motors, and some 24V motors need 50A breakers. But, the important thing is your wire size. 8 gauge wire shouldn't be fused higher than 40A. You only need a single breaker on the positive lead. If there is one at both leads, it sounds like a former 12/24 system.

It's not standard for the trolling motor and the rest of the electronics on the boat to share a battery. If you run your TM battery down, then your bilge pumps won't work. TM only on the TM batteries, everything else on the cranking battery is the best way to do it.